Full frame kaleidoscopic video with the Sony RX1

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

http://vimeo.com/77825876

The Sony RX1 has amazing stills but awful video! I began thinking how could I use this otherwise great little camera for video? The answer is to rough up the image beyond comprehension, with trick filters. Here's how I did it.

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

This is terrible just how little interest this topic has had.  It seems as if it's not technical based,  relating to a raw hack, resolution test or new anamorphic lens, no one is interested.  Shameful really.  

It's understandable. Most people want something they can quantify, take away and do. The creative posts always sink because you can't steal someone's creativity!

Keep shooting guys! It will find an audience, just not in the camera geek community.

these psychedelic vibes make for a whole new angle to tell a story ! 

I personally view this similarly to recording a musician - tasteful distortion (or perhaps a chorus effect in this case?) is yet another flavor to the finish.. However, one shouldn't oversaturate things - an hour of this footage would surely cause dizziness! and as such, the content before the filter is the main anchor of the visual.

@26 @1:46 & @2:16,17 would certainly make a nice scene for a dreamy daze following a stimulant-fueled night's aftermath (à la Black Swan).

Technology & technique are why I choose to read this blog - keep it up !

• Administrators

Thanks prism. Appropriate name :)

The aim of this was to test out a concept on whatever I found on the street that day really. It's already fired some ideas off of how it can be used in a planned shoot. I'm planning two music videos for the Berlin band Bunny Suit at the moment so maybe it will turn up again. That's the great thing about testing out different equipment, it can actually generate ideas in itself.

Got the filter thread adapter for X100S so I can use it on that - video is a little better on that at 1080/30p but in 1080/60p moire and aliasing actually get worse. First camera I know that does that between frame rates.

Thanks prism. Appropriate name :)

The aim of this was to test out a concept on whatever I found on the street that day really. It's already fired some ideas off of how it can be used in a planned shoot. I'm planning two music videos for the Berlin band Bunny Suit at the moment so maybe it will turn up again. That's the great thing about testing out different equipment, it can actually generate ideas in itself.

Got the filter thread adapter for X100S so I can use it on that - video is a little better on that at 1080/30p but in 1080/60p moire and aliasing actually get worse. First camera I know that does that between frame rates.

I would love to do this with my Rx1!  I have long gone through all the filter sets in my local shops and even called about something like this.  Any idea online where I can get some kits like this?

It's understandable. Most people want something they can quantify, take away and do. The creative posts always sink because you can't steal someone's creativity!

Keep shooting guys! It will find an audience, just not in the camera geek community.

I didn't originally comment, but I was inspired to buy some of these off ebay to experiment with for use in music video shoots.

• 9 months later...