Fuji X Pro 2 review - a Leica killer. Also a surprisingly capable Super 35mm cinema machine? Let's find out...

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Steve M. said:

I think you're right they must be talking about Andrew's post. Speaking of frame rate, since there is no 1/50th shutter on that dial, is there a way of getting to that particular shutter speed? I know you're probably getting sick of all my questions about the camera, and I'm sorry for that, but I do appreciate the information!

Yeah, you set to 60 and then adjust the shutterspeed using the thumb dial that's next to the joystick.  As for skin tone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0g8hfy6bl8tf99/DSCF8449.MOV?dl=0

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
41 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, you set to 60 and then adjust the shutterspeed using the thumb dial that's next to the joystick.  As for skin tone:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0g8hfy6bl8tf99/DSCF8449.MOV?dl=0

Interesting you should bring that up, as I forgot to comment on the horse owner? Or whomever, I don't see a whole lot wrong with that skin tone! It was interesting to read Andrews write up on this camera, which I hadn't done, and did so this evening. I had no idea Fuji had this reputation amonst it's users as staying toward the traditional side of things which answers the question as to why so many video capability items have been kept out of the equation. I'm hoping, as he mentioned, that Fuji will re-think this and release this cameras full potential for both still photography and video acquisition. 

Someone else mentioned this, but the only response was about the difference in sensor. I'm wondering more about the processing / codec side. I'm assuming the older fujifilm sensor is the same as the x100 which I LOVE. So,

How does the X70 compare? My dream video camera would be my x100 doing 1080p well. Is the x70 the answer? I'd think if the way the camera handles / processes / encodes video is the same as the X pro 2 it would be pretty good.

Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, Nathan K Peterson said:

Someone else mentioned this, but the only response was about the difference in sensor. I'm wondering more about the processing / codec side. I'm assuming the older fujifilm sensor is the same as the x100 which I LOVE. So,

How does the X70 compare? My dream video camera would be my x100 doing 1080p well. Is the x70 the answer? I'd think if the way the camera handles / processes / encodes video is the same as the X pro 2 it would be pretty good.

Any thoughts?

x70 uses the old 16mp sensor so its not close to the new 24mp sensor for video.

On April 2, 2016 at 0:38 PM, Douglas Allchin said:

Please.. use the correct words? "..remnant of the insanely sharp GH2..." Did you mean reminiscent? Remnant means a small remaining part of, and I am pretty sure the Fuji has no GH2 remains? The reviews are full of such malapropisms :-( Also Except means all but, Accept means to take what is given...

I think we all get the gist of his post without an English lesson.

• Super Members
On 2016-04-02 at 9:38 PM, Douglas Allchin said:

Please.. use the correct words? "..remnant of the insanely sharp GH2..." Did you mean reminiscent? Remnant means a small remaining part of, and I am pretty sure the Fuji has no GH2 remains? The reviews are full of such malapropisms :-( Also Except means all but, Accept means to take what is given...

One post... and thats a word police post :)

....so limits acknowledged, if the video potential is acknowledged, and the x pro 2 offers so much in other ways (like form factor), why not hack the x pro 2 and fix the limits...... like turn on 4K, even if only for 5 min intervals.....or THREATEN TO unless Fuji does it themselves.....  PS:  AR has not lived in Berlin too long, he's simply exercising literary creativity in an exceptional way....so accept it.....

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Douglas is All Chin and no mouth.

Clever! I didn't notice it at first till Mattais pointed it out. His very first post on this forum, and it's a rant on English grammar, amazing. Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled program, Andrew, possible user guide from you on this Fuji XPro2?

On March 29, 2016 at 9:28 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Yeah, something is certainly off with the blacks.  I'm hopeful that a little digging with settings and/or a firmware update will bring things more in line with "normal."

https://www.dropbox.com/s/co1kumkhdfgjrnt/TEST.mov?dl=0

Do you remember the ISO with any of these shots? There's a real lack of high ISO samples. I love the look, but I'm hoping to see more high ISO shots before taking the plunge.

Now that the dpreview is out, it's easier for many of us to do some more comparison. 

http://***URL removed***/reviews/sony-a6300/5

Of course the A6300 blows away the X-Pro2 with it's 4K, log profile and other stuff, but looking at the 1080p samples is interesting:

Screen Shot 2016-04-09 at 20.25.30.png

The X-Pro2 looks much more detailed (at some points over sharpened), but all in all it looks really nice, especially if you know how older Fuji cameras did.

Any other thoughts/news? 

I don't think anyone has ever hated on stills qualities of APS-C Sony/Fujifilm. They're stills cameras after all. The video mode however is a big variable, yet it's good to see them catching up. I wish Olympus would do better video as well, maybe the E-M2 might surprise... but better not get hopes up. On the other hand a much improved GH4 with the GH5 would be interesting too. The X-Pro2 just isn't for me and I can imagine the X-T2 will be mighty interesting, but as well not for me either. Never hurts to have the option though.

• Administrators

In my experience, the X Pro2's 1080p is indeed better than the A6300's 1080p. It's very detailed for full HD, the sharpest since the GH2, but not exactly perfect in terms of moire.

The X-T1 was the worst performing 1080p camera on the market in 60p. In 30p it gets a little better. The A7S still has the best overall 1080p quality of the Sony cameras. A7R II and A7S II are more about 4K. The 80D is similar to the Nikon D610 but not full frame, it pixel bins heavily, is soft and has moire. See below:

A7S:

a7s-crop.jpg

D610:

nikon-d610-crop.jpg

X-T1:

xt1-crop.jpg

In the above X-T1 1080/60p shot you can really see how much it kills the circles, it's horrendous.

Meanwhile the 5DR = D750, maybe even slightly sharper, so a rather solid performance there and better detail than the 5D Mark III stock video. However, 5D Mark III pulls ahead when you factor in Magic Lantern and raw video.

The XC10 is a little better in 1080p still (a bit cleaner, a bit more detail) even though the lens is slightly on the soft side as a 10x zoom.

By the way, the way DPR have used the stills test scene for video doesn't exactly stretch the camera. There's not enough movement or detail on this locked down shot to push the codec. Also as the lens is quite close to the scene and it is a small scene, you won't notice the lack of detail on the less well performing cameras as much as you would in a real life test. Buildings and landscapes at infinity focus would be a better test. Human subject for skintones would be a better test for colour. A very detailed fast moving shot, with some motion blur present would be a better test of the codec as would a blue sky and a high ISO shot to see about the macro-blocking and noise handling.

• Administrators

I don't agree with the people saying Fuji's colour is anything less than stunning.

In video mode the XPro 2 can compete with all of the below cameras for resolution and detail in 1080p, whilst giving far more pleasing colour and variation in tone out of the box. All shot on standard profiles. The others look like they have a veil over them.

If it looks too dark or crushed then it's your monitor that needs adjusting not the Fujifilm film simulation.

xpro2-vs-others-1080p.jpg

Also for stills I'd rather use the XPro 2 than any of the above. It's far more Leica-like and enjoyable during a shoot.

@Andrew Reid thanks for your input! Are you really using an X-Pro2 for video? (I though I read somewhere that you considered buying one) 

It looks like Fuji has done their homework on image/video quality. What is missing, is the usability and interface. I guess it's still not possible, to first see your 16:9 frame, before starting video, is it? (I think with 4K and a few improvements to the usability, the upcoming Fujis could really make fun shooting video on! )

9 hours ago, frontfocus said:

What is missing, is the usability and interface. I guess it's still not possible, to first see your 16:9 frame, before starting video, is it? (I think with 4K and a few improvements to the usability, the upcoming Fujis could really make fun shooting video on! )

It works as well as any other non-flip-screen-photo-that-also-shoots-video-camera that I've ever used. 

Maybe a bit better since the exposure controls can be manipulated by old-school hardware instead of user menus.

The EVF previews 16:9, so I'm not sure why you're assuming otherwise. 

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

It works as well as any other non-flip-screen-photo-that-also-shoots-video-camera that I've ever used. 

Maybe a bit better since the exposure controls can be manipulated by old-school hardware instead of user menus.

This may be a given, but I'll ask it anyway as you never know. Is there any issues with adapting (non-Fuji) lenses to this camera? If possible, I'd love to see the final edit of your racetrack video?  

16 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

What I meant was, that (with older models), as soon as you hit the movie record button, it jumped into recording and there is no way, to few the exact crop beforehand. That's one of the many small things that made me not use the X-T1 for video (well, besides the terrible 60p quality)