Impulz Luts vs Filmconvert

Ed_David

I did a bunch of grading - checking out Impulz vs Filmconvert

Overall filmconvert feels more forced, retains less detail. Impulz luts gives a better starting point - more image detail retained in ut - to play with - to shape it and move.

I also just did a rec 709 conversion and graded - and it's a lot harder to work with to get to where I want to go.  So if you don't like luts, good for you.  For me, it gets me there faster.  And then I tweak and tweak and tweak.  The overall image, then skin, then lips, everything.

Also now being able to shoot pro res 444 12-bit from the sony f35 to the odyssey 7q is really, really nice.

Mixed lighting test - sony f35 to convergent design pro res 4444 - with overhead crappy 4000k fluorescents - shooting s-gamut then with p3-dci gamut

the lighting is all over the place - crappy overhead flourescents - 4000k mixed with more crappy flourescents and in some scenes led glow from macbook

the p3-dci definitely falls apart faster.

s-gamut - with pro res 4444 - very clean secondary color correcting and stress to push pro res as far as it needs to go.

shot underexposed 1 stop. amazing how clean can make - used neatvideo on impulz footage

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That looks great Ed. First off I just want to say... the location is great... I'm a cabinet maker by trade, so I love that your studio space is an authentic garage workshop. Very cool.

I am very new to all of this and recently, I have been attempting to correct and grade footage. Mostly poorly, but what I have been doing is adjusting my highs, mids and lows  using the curves in Color Finale and then using a finishing LUT, usually a Fuji rec709 or an M31, and I have been getting some decent results.

I've also had pretty good results using a 3 strip cube, then adjusting my curves, and adding a Fuji rec709 LUT at 50% as a delivery LUT. 

Would love your thoughts and any tips. Btw, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I really would love to see your workflow.

I cant find any Prores export on premiere. The  Nx1 has an amazing amount of detail, but im losing most of it when exporting..

What are you using to transcode before you import to Premiere? I use Wondershare, export it as ProRes, then when done editing, choose Quicktime> Match Source (Rewrap). Otherwise I think you have to go to Adobe Media Encoder.

I love those looks - I need to play with those luts again!

Just really isolate skintones and mess with them, and play with power windows, defocus edges, play with sharpness, endless endless playing around.

here's some screengrabs of tests.

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz057.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz055.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz058.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz051.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz049.jpg

Blackmagic DaVinci ResolveScreenSnapz048.jpg

Thanks, but if you isolate skin tones, do you do that as a second or third layer, or do you do that first?

Yep, those Impulz LUTs sure look good!

However, I'm not a sharpness freak, so I take all talk of that with a huge grain of salt - just does nothing for me, a bit like 8bit 4K.

Really liked VisionColor for their Canon Picture Profiles - still use them for stills, as they are just the best. So no surprise that their LUTs are amazing.

I only bought FilmConvert because at the time FCPX had no way of loading in LUTs. I think the mistake most people make with FC is leaving the sliders at 100% & the grain for Web upload has to be 150% or over for it to actually show up in any meaningful way (best grain out there, as kidz has said). And Ed was a life saver recommending the ARRI profiles, as the BM ones just annoyed me no end.

I really would love to see your workflow.

I cant find any Prores export on premiere. The  Nx1 has an amazing amount of detail, but im losing most of it when exporting..

here's the answer from another thread

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1005361

Yep, those Impulz LUTs sure look good!

However, I'm not a sharpness freak, so I take all talk of that with a huge grain of salt - just does nothing for me, a bit like 8bit 4K.

Really liked VisionColor for their Canon Picture Profiles - still use them for stills, as they are just the best. So no surprise that their LUTs are amazing.

I only bought FilmConvert because at the time FCPX had no way of loading in LUTs. I think the mistake most people make with FC is leaving the sliders at 100% & the grain for Web upload has to be 150% or over for it to actually show up in any meaningful way (best grain out there, as kidz has said). And Ed was a life saver recommending the ARRI profiles, as the BM ones just annoyed me no end.

I need to put in a color chart again to see what captures color the most accurately.

I think playing with both, FC and Visioncolor and seeing what works for what you need is a good idea.  I go back and forth a lot.

I redid the test!  Combining Visioncolor Osiris and Filmconvert - 2 luts combined - and that looks the best.  Took me only about 15 minutes to create this look. Together they looked better.  As Captain Planet told us - "with our powers combined"

Sorry if I missed this, but what lens did you use here?

Most of my sample images were to impulz luts.  The FC is just a version of their lut called (film contrast).  There is also a lower-contrast one call VS (visionspace)  Flimconvert is I think is interesting, but I still go towards visioncolor.  Mixing the two for the outdoor street test was interesting.

Also redid and also did a pass going to CINEON then the release print (2383) and Fuji print - and that's very interesting too.

I wish they did vintage film stocks as well - that would be pretty cool.

here's the technique of the DI they used in "oh brother" where are thou