Great article

wolf33d

You got that from the article you linked to?!  A quote from the article...

How you get "the C100 and 5D MK III" are crap from that... I just don't know.

I'm not saying I disagree with you on some valid points but the article you linked to is making an entirely different point.

The article is addressed to the still photography market. OP is just bringing the discussion to the motion picture realm, once D90 started the HDSLR movement, with the explosion after 2008 when Canon launched 5DII. They weren't ready to even dream about the revolution they started to. There were workarounds to have manual control for video in a FF camera. Manufacturers such as RED felt the competition and publicly reacted so. Low budget DSLRs became a target. Canon designed their C-line. Shooters had to find hacks to extract the best of their capture devices. Why? (OP's point)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The article is addressed to the still photography market. OP is just bringing the discussion to the motion picture realm, once D90 started the HDSLR movement, with the explosion after 2008 when Canon launched 5DII. They weren't ready to even dream about the revolution they started to. There were workarounds to have manual control for video in a FF camera. Manufacturers such as RED felt the competition and publicly reacted so. Low budget DSLRs became a target. Canon designed their C-line. Shooters had to find hacks to extract the best of their capture devices. Why? (OP's point)

I still don't see how you get all that from this quote from the article...

Today’s cameras are ALL exceptional.  Everything with a decent sized sensor can produce images that will appease 98% of photographers and viewers of photography.

The author's point is people get too caught up in specs.  "Bringing the discussion to the motion picture realm" would be pointing out the formerly $18,000 Sony F3 can now be had for $1,800.  If the author of the article were to comment on the motion picture world he would say the equipment is not what is keeping you from making your magnum opus.

I don't disagree with some of the statements the OP made but the post entirely misses the point of a great article.

The author's point is people get too caught up in specs.  "Bringing the discussion to the motion picture realm" would be pointing out the formerly $18,000 Sony F3 can now be had for $1,800.  If the author of the article were to comment on the motion picture world he would say the equipment is not what is keeping you from making your magnum opus.

I don't disagree with some of the statements the OP made but the post entirely misses the point of a great article.

LOL

OP is just extrapolating from there as far as stationary industry of today concerns on features we know they could be interested to deliver in benefit of lightweight acquisition and they don't. Despite the fact the most recent mirrorless 4K recording solution in-camera (provided by Sony) overheats. Especially Canon when arrives to the professional market with their Cinema series. Who brings the discussion to this industry is the OP, not the article.

From the same point when there's substance, it is possible to extract a diversity of routes. The science of reflexion, learning... follows the rule. We can try, at least. OP just had a postmodernist attitude trying a deconstructivist* approach, very welcome everywhere.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deconstruction

http://admiringlight.com/blog/the-sliding-scale-of-camera-capabilities/

That applies 100% to video. 

Interesting to see how Canon was a killer, democratizing the industry for stills and then for video (5D2) by releasing affordable devices with pro features. 
Such a shame it is not the case anymore. What changed at Canon? 

All of this because of their Cine line :(  I hate it, and hate all of you who are buying C100, C300, C500 that make money to Canon and make them cripple the 7Ds/5Ds bodies for us non professional ... 
Without this Cine line, we would get a 5D4 with 4K with great bitrate and Canon Log - DPAF and so on.......

I still think 5D4 will have 4K unlike many of you (don't imagine how a body can come in 2016 without 4K, that would be non imaginable) when even iPhones get 4K. 
But it will probably a 5D3 like video, which means not clean, poor bitrate, no HFR, ...

Anyway. 

A 5D mk4 with 4K while their expensive C100 mk2 is still 1080?!?! Not sure how that makes sense...

And while I agree 100% with that article, I disagree it applies 100% to video! 

To the average joe on the street? Sure, it applies to video, arguably even smartphone video has got to that point for them. 

But it does not apply to the serious amateur / semi pro videographer, as you have got to remember the amateur photographer has for years had access to high resolution (room for heaps of cropping), HFR, raw photos.

The videographer however?! We're not even close to that point!! We'd need to see perhaps 6K / 120fps / raw video cameras sold at your local high street store first (to see the matching high resolution / HFR / raw that photographers all have access to). We're perhaps (wild guess...) a decade away from that happening!! At a minimum I think we need to at least see 60fps 4K 10bit 422 reach the hobbyist level in functional body, maybe at least that point isn't too far away. But we're not there yet. 

lol Man , I never said I made some quotes of the article. What's the point anyway in posting a link and just quote from it.

i developed my own ideas on the motion market there that's all ;)