Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4k G2 - now shipping

kye

2 hours ago, kye said:

My strategy is to draft the post, then re-read it in the editor before posting it.

I try to do this. 

But that is not how my brain works. 

I only see my mistakes immediately AFTER I have pressed the "submit" button! haha

2 hours ago, kye said:

When I post it and then re-read it I have to frantically make edits until the timer blocks any more edits.  I think it's a 5 minute window.

I also have a vague recollection that it was put into effect because people were making inflammatory posts and then days later were editing them then gaslighting everyone after the evidence had been erased.  It made for very strange reading too because it looked like they made a calm post and then all the following quotes were doctored to make them the asshole.

Yeah, it's a pity. 

I feel that the timer should be longer. Say if it was an hour long. 

Then if you post, then someone else replies at some point in the future, and you then reply back after trying to edit it, welllll..... the hour probably has expired already? (for instance, your reply to me just now, over two hours has passed!) 

But if you're just taking your time to read through the thread, and you get other thoughts you want to add to your post as you read further into the thread, well it's unlikely you'll take longer than a whole hour to read to the end of the thread? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

t is precisely because BM cameras don’t have continuous autofocus (well mine do actually) that a remote follow focus is required.

I'm curious about the "well mine do actually." Are you using a third-party solution to achieve continuous autofocus? Because as far as I know, BMD has never made a camera that has continuous autofocus, where the camera continually adjusts focus and can track subjects without input from the operator.

• Super Members
36 minutes ago, bjohn said:

I'm curious about the "well mine do actually." Are you using a third-party solution to achieve continuous autofocus? Because as far as I know, BMD has never made a camera that has continuous autofocus, where the camera continually adjusts focus and can track subjects without input from the operator.

Yes, I use an AFX focusing system* on mine for AF-C of native and adapted electronic lenses and motor control of manual focus ones (both on BM or other cameras).

AFX_MINUS_THREE.thumb.jpg.18c64fc08bed4313e0ebb4828821094b.jpg

The removal/inactivation of BLE in this new camera means that such control will not be possible for native and adapted lenses and will be motor only.

Which is a bit silly really as if I can control a Sigma 18-35mm electronically, why would I want to have to then strap a follow focus ring on to it and bulk up the rig with a motor.

* Well, technically speaking I suppose you could say its a 3rd party device for other people who use them but its a 1st party device when I'm using one as I created it.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, kye said:

I also have a vague recollection that it was put into effect because people were making inflammatory posts and then days later were editing them then gaslighting everyone after the evidence had been erased.

The big issue a while back was people making their first post to ask a benign question so it got through the initial moderation and then editing their post a couple of days later to insert a link to some spam nonsense.

They then invariably replied to their own post with "Thanks everyone, I've found the solution" whilst inserting more spam links into that.

When the edit was removed we then had a series of "Please advise me which camera to get" posts from first time posters who then disappeared never to return. The reason they never returned is they couldn't edit their posts to put the spam link in. These threads wasted a lot of good intentioned advice from regular posters.

On balance, I think preventing that kind of stuff (which was rife at one point) is worth not having an edit function for, particularly as we have had some absolutely mind numbing pedantry on here of late which would be made worse if people who want to argue a point into the ground could go back and edit their bullshit in order to remove an assertion that was proved wrong.

Incidentally, I saw a thread on Gearspace recently about the use of the MiniMoog in TV scoring in the early 70s and I would swear that at least one poster involved in it must be on here under different names.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The vast majority of times I'm on shoots with a gimbal they're not using AF. As they have a 1st AC. 

First AC is the key here. He can use remote focusing system and check on his own monitor away from you. 

I basically work alone, so if on steadicam or gimbal, it is hard for me to do manual focusing by myself. I think a lot of gimbal users are actually solo shooters. If work as a team, maybe dolly jib etc are more traditional. 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The big issue a while back was people making their first post to ask a benign question so it got through the initial moderation and then editing their post a couple of days later to insert a link to some spam nonsense.

They then invariably replied to their own post with "Thanks everyone, I've found the solution" whilst inserting more spam links into that.

When the edit was removed we then had a series of "Please advise me which camera to get" posts from first time posters who then disappeared never to return. The reason they never returned is they couldn't edit their posts to put the spam link in. These threads wasted a lot of good intentioned advice from regular posters.

On balance, I think preventing that kind of stuff (which was rife at one point) is worth not having an edit function for, particularly as we have had some absolutely mind numbing pedantry on here of late which would be made worse if people who want to argue a point into the ground could go back and edit their bullshit in order to remove an assertion that was proved wrong.

Incidentally, I saw a thread on Gearspace recently about the use of the MiniMoog in TV scoring in the early 70s and I would swear that at least one poster involved in it must be on here under different names.

Ah yes.  Maybe if each user either had edit permission or didn't, then it could be earned by new members, and removed if abused.  BUT, it's really about what is built-into the forum platform, as programming such a thing and keeping it through (what I assume must be) regular updates would be an absolute PITA.

Not me on Gearspace, but sounds like an interesting thing to discuss, and something that one or two folks out there might pop a blood vessel on their forehead about.  I'm on some coffee forums and one guy keeps banging on about the definition of 'espresso', which needless to say isn't something that there's a lot of value in being dogmatic about!

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, kye said:

Not me on Gearspace, but sounds like an interesting thing to discuss

It was until they got into serial numbers, date of production and defining what the "early 70s" actually meant as in a show that came out in September 74 had already had 37% of the 70s behind it so couldn't count.

No, really.

26 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm on some coffee forums

I am printing this out for the next time my wife says I waste too much time on the internet.

26 minutes ago, kye said:

One guy keeps banging on about the definition of 'espresso'

Wait until a Welsh speaker goes on there and tells him the translation they use for cappuccino .

It will blow his mind.

1018388088_ScreenShot2024-01-05at14_59_15.png.05f13190fa67df90610faa6025720444.png

It was until they got into serial numbers, date of production and defining what the "early 70s" actually meant as in a show that came out in September 74 had already had 37% of the 70s behind it so couldn't count.

No, really.

I've gone deep into a few topics throughout my life and so that doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Good thing we don't have people here who will try to win an argument by taking the most incredibly favourable interpretation of every single word in the statement they made and are now desperately trying to defend! 😂😂😂

I am printing this out for the next time my wife says I waste too much time on the internet.

Good luck!

Wait until a Welsh speaker goes on there and tells him the translation they use for cappuccino .

It will blow his mind.

1018388088_ScreenShot2024-01-05at14_59_15.png.05f13190fa67df90610faa6025720444.png

LOL..  

Just in case you're not aware of how deep the espresso rabbit hole is, here's one definition, but be warned - it's not the only one and in the other ones the numbers are different!

image.png.da7097c95fec56fd3551980db5dcbedd.png

...and lest ye think that it's just people online that take this stuff seriously, Italy has been trying to get itself UNESCO heritage status for inventing it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/21/italy-seeks-unesco-heritage-status-espresso-coffee

Personally, I just drink it.

On 1/4/2024 at 1:35 PM, BTM_Pix said:

EDIT>REMOVED REPLY

Fuck this, it was easier just to put you on ignore than waste time interacting with the constant stream of absolute bollocks that you are posting on here.

+1

23 hours ago, zlfan said:

I think a lot of gimbal users are actually solo shooters. If work as a team, maybe dolly jib etc are more traditional. 

Steadicam is the "traditional" alternative to a gimbal. (although, they're both slightly different types of tools, and not exact replacements for each other!)

However due to the massively lower costs of a gimbal (both the equipment and the operator), then I do see gimbals being used instead quite often.

23 hours ago, zlfan said:

I suggest post editing time for about 10-15 minutes, now it is about 1 minute. I tried many times to edit typo and add more but it is gone. 

I agree, even a 15minute edit length would be a huge improvement over the only five minutes or so we have now (it's a little longer than 1 minute? But not by much). 

Although I personally feel perhaps an hour or three would be the sweet spot. As that's still waaaaay under the typical time period for when those spammy bots would be posting then returning back to add sneaky links in the edit. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:10 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I'm on gearspace too! But I'm very easy to figure out, I keep the same username over there as well 🙂

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'm on gearspace too! But I'm very easy to figure out, I keep the same username over there as well 🙂

For older readers who used to buy Viz, the poster in question is pretty much the spiritual successor to this fella.

mrlogic.thumb.png.1cfb95a86f408c81a161914f7f3d4e46.png

On 1/5/2024 at 5:02 AM, IronFilm said:

I guess it is due to the lack of edit button?? 😞

If only we could still edit posts! (more than a few seconds afterwards) Then we wouldn't see two or three plus posts in a row from the same person.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:58 AM, kye said:

I don't think this is the cause.

My strategy is to draft the post, then re-read it in the editor before posting it.  When I post it and then re-read it I have to frantically make edits until the timer blocks any more edits.  I think it's a 5 minute window.

I also have a vague recollection that it was put into effect because people were making inflammatory posts and then days later were editing them then gaslighting everyone after the evidence had been erased.  It made for very strange reading too because it looked like they made a calm post and then all the following quotes were doctored to make them the asshole.

Sadly, we all suffer because a few people are emotionally damaged.

I think it's a typical case of that Niels Bohr's quotation set (I | II | III) where both of you can be accurate TBH :- )

LOL I should also have written "at same time" or my 5 minutes window for editing is not available anymore to express it just fine ; )

BTW I guess we had no more than 1 hour to edit it here before.

And short posts as aim are actually the reason for that change today ;- )

Image looks like from an p4k test video imo. @kye I find the video ok but pretty plain.

Cage, ssd clamp and further rigging are shown in another video of the same youtuber. With the specific cage and external ssd it already looks looks pretty big, almost as big as the m2k with a 3" monitor rigged to the back, look at around 7min 50s. Knowing the great quality the p4k is capable of, this camera is no slouch in the image quality department, of course. It will be great for broadcasting and streaming for sure. I won't trade it in for my m2k though. 🙂

30 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Image looks like from an p4k test video imo. @kye I find the video ok but pretty plain.

Cage, ssd clamp and further rigging are shown in another video of the same youtuber. With the specific cage and external ssd it already looks looks pretty big, almost as big as the m2k with a 3" monitor rigged to the back, look at around 7min 50s. Knowing the great quality the p4k is capable of, this camera is no slouch in the image quality department, of course. It will be great for broadcasting and streaming for sure. I won't trade it in for my m2k though. 🙂

I've been chatting with @mercer about it and we think it's the same sensor as the P4K.  The sensor specs that we've looked at all line up between the two cameras.  

So if you think of it that way, it's the small box version of the P4K that everyone was asking for.  It might be larger than the M2K but it sure is smaller than the P4K!

One aspect of this camera I'm particularly interested in is the AF.

I use AF-S with back-button on the GX85, which is very good and very fast, but if this has anything like that level of performance then it will be a very interesting thing to add to my setup.  One thing that makes it super interesting is that the Dual ISO means it will have much better low-light than the single ISO GX85, so would make me quite torn between the two.

5 hours ago, kye said:

I've been chatting with @mercer about it and we think it's the same sensor as the P4K.  The sensor specs that we've looked at all line up between the two cameras. 

Same impression going on here... Looks funny the first footage seen over here is not from a studio setup! LOL Looks like they should have trading names between both models instead : D

15 minutes ago, kye said:

One aspect of this camera I'm particularly interested in is the AF.

Curious to check it accuracy too... ; ) Seems this one is what the other one has missed to be, size and convenience ;- )