Rode Wireless Pro - 32bit float, timecode, locking connection

Anaconda_

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

However.... if you're just running your Rode Go Pro into your mirrorless/DSLR with only the couple of transmitters you get in a single set, then sure, this works perfectly fine enough as intended. 

That’s good because I clicked the link to the Sony jobbies and my wallet cleared it’s throat in such a manner, I got the message immediately 😉

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, MrSMW said:

That’s good because I clicked the link to the Sony jobbies and my wallet cleared it’s throat in such a manner, I got the message immediately 😉

HA! Sony DWX is one of the cheaper pro series of wireless, in fact if you want ones with remote control abilities they're the cheapest. (although, all the pro brands are fairly close-ish in price together, Lectrosonics/Wisyscom/Shure/Zaxcom/etc are all similar-ish in cost to Sony DWX)

Of course, Sony also has their cheap prosumer wireless, that's priced almost identical to the Sennheiser G4 wireless: 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=sony uwp-d21&sort=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH 

But seriously, compared with the original, all I am interested in is:

Being able to mic 2 people or points instead of 1.

Better range (though not had a problem)

Locking mech as I HAVE had folks pull out lav mic cables, you know; weddings and alcohol…

The floaty bit. Just in case the talent can’t swim.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

But seriously, compared with the original

For sure, this one is a big improvement from what Rode had before

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Being able to mic 2 people or points instead of 1.

They already had a dual receiver for the Rode Go

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Locking mech as I HAVE had folks pull out lav mic cables, you know; weddings and alcohol…

Absolutely, they should never have released it without a locking connector in the first place!! This is the #1 key feature here

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

The floaty bit. Just in case the talent can’t swim.

😅🤣😂

27 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

They already had a dual receiver for the Rode Go

For the original one?

Mine was one sending and one receiving unit.

Having 2 sending units will be better for my work because I can mic the celebrant and a designated speaking point such as a mic stand.

I will still almost certainly sync to the individual lav mics anyway, but sometimes the Rode Go straight to camera stuff is good enough.

• 2 months later...

Oh dear.

Not US and was waiting until the Spring of ‘24 to replace my original set but maybe I should get it sooner rather than later just in case…

There are alternatives, but the Rode WG just worked for me.

When I remembered to switch both units on anyway…

I hate that long hold on, long hold off system. I’d rather just a flick switch and a lock.

Ditto for my little Sony pocket recorders. Forever switching recording on just touching my bag sometimes. Then trawling through 10 hours of recording the interior sounds of my camera bag before eventually finding 2 minutes of Captain Correllis facking Violin being read by cousin Karen 🤪

I wasn't aware of the lawsuit and that spurred me to make a purchase right now. I had been surprised to even see Rode offer these features in one unit and assumed they must have made some arrangement with Zaxcom without the announcement... 

I'm in the US and scoured to options to find only one set being sold by ProCam Photo/Video via Walmart of all places. Seemingly no stock anywhere else. I assume this legal limbo is why. ProCam just confirmed that my unit is shipping today. 

Indeed there are compromises with this unit but relative to the two RodeLink systems I've been using for almost nine years, the slimmed-down size and massively improved feature-set will be a boon for me as a solo shooter doing my own audio for the most part. 

Originally I'd been holding out till work necessitated but realized reading this thread this morning that this might be the only option for quite some time in the US.

#sigh