Leica Q3

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

OK, so its not something that will find a natural home here as a talking point and it is bound to be at what will euphemistically be termed "a premium price" but it might actually have some relevance as an indicator of another camera release in the not too distant future.

We are all aware of the relationship between Leica and Panasonic goes beyond (and behind) the L mount and the internals in terms of the sensor and processor spec of the Q2 and the S1R are "quite similar".

It wouldn't be beyond the bounds of credibility then to take a steer from the specs of the Q3 in terms of what a mark 2 version of the S1R might be when it arrives and considering the Q2 and S1R were released within a few weeks of each other then this might be sooner rather than later.

The Q3 is officially announced on the 23rd of May but, as expected these days, the full spec has now been leaked and the general headline for stills shooters at least is the bump in resolution from 47 MP to 62 MP, the tilt screen and the persistence with Hybrid AF.

It is the video spec that surprised me though :

• C8K (17:9): 8192 x 4320
  • 8K (16:9): 7680 x 4320
  • C4K (17:9): 4096 x 2160
  • 4K (16:9): 3840 x 2160
  • Full HD (16:9): 1920 x 1080

No further information regarding the codecs that will be available (and knowing Leica it might well turn out to be limited to 256 colours, 15fps and be in FLV format 🙂 ) but that spec would be interesting in a new S1R.

There is no news on price but I'd be surprised if it is less than €5.5-6K.

There has always been something about the Q series that has had me about to irrationally buy one several times so I'm certainly mad enough to buy one of these but, unfortunately, poor enough these days not to be able to afford to.

Leica-Q3-camera.jpeg.1a0a8b749fa7b4202bab0c197ae6a6d1.jpegLeicas-Q3-camera-5.thumb.jpeg.165f143de91c4dd4b4f3e25442d38d29.jpegLeicas-Q3-camera-3.thumb.jpeg.d5edfe535e0b46e4b8529a662d369afe.jpeg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If I close my eyes and squeeze them very hard, can I pretend this does not exist?

Previous desert island ‘EDC(amera) would be a toss up between X100V and Q2.

Q2 would win were it not for lacking a tilt screen.

Q3, now a clear winner for me (taking cost out of the equation) especially as the larger sensor now allows for even greater cropping over the previous option of digital cropping for Jpeg only in camera.

As a video unit though? Nah. In a pinch maybe but no IBIS or cooling… 

But it does bode well for S1R replacement doesn’t it?!

I suspect they will ditch the vanilla S1 and go S2H + S2R.

If so, and they meet my ‘next gen’ spec requirements, I think without question, they would become my primary tools of choice in 2024 alongside a lone S5iix for static and gimbal duty.

We’ll see…

• Super Members

Puzzles me why Sigma don't get in on this market.

They have a track record in fixed lens compacts (albeit APS-C) and with the FP-L and their compact primes they have the building blocks to do it.

Likely for half the price of the Q3.

Maybe their long overdue full frame Foveon may actually come as a fixed lens package rather than the FP based interchangeable one that everyone expects.

I've always liked the Q series. Almost traded in my M system for a Q2 when it came out as I use a 28mm summicron almost exclusively but couldn't come to grips with abandoning real rangefinder plus the Kodak CCD sensor on the M9 has such unique rendering, it's like film in contrast. This seems like a pretty incremental update, like with everything in Leica land. 8K is a bit of a surprise, on such a compact body but even Leica has to justify new models so..

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

As a video unit though? Nah. In a pinch maybe but no IBIS or cooling… 

No IBIS but the lens IS is actually really good, not hard to get stable video on Q2 and I'd also assume that DIS may even improve on that. Agreed on cooling though, 8K is going to have some serious time limitations I'm sure.

DIS plus shoot slightly wider intending to stabilize in post.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Puzzles me why Sigma don't get in on this market.

FP-L with flip screen and full sensor 4k 60p or more because it’s capable?

They also need to get that e:shutter only banding sorted because it was really bad when I tried it.

Or are they still dicking about with that Fovean sensor they can’t get to work?

I’d rather have an interchangeable lens version of the Q3 and Sigma could build it and are maybe working on it, but will they?

What have you done @BTM_Pix ??!!

You have made me cancel the preorder for one of my two S5iix’s is what you have done!

I think the possibility of an S2R and an S2H are both too intriguing and too likely to overlook, so I can ‘get by’ with a combo of: S1H + S5ii + S5iix until such time as we know more.

The sale of my pair of S1R’s can proceed as planned I think as they are already largely redundant in my above lineup.

Just as soon as that damned S5iix turns up and still no word from my Frenchie suppliers…

• Super Members

This is apparently from an over enthusiastic Leica dealer who pushed the publish button a bit hastily ahead of the official launch on the 25th of May.

The-new-Leica-Q3-Downtown-Camera-878x1536.thumb.jpeg.3edc5b99bc6a3d56bc3cc9aabcd12cc6.jpeg\

Cached version of the since deleted page is here

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:WVl0azXh3-gJ:https://downtowncamera.com/blog/the-new-leica-q3&cd=10&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• Administrators

The 8K is really quite surprising isn't it?

Usually in such a stills orientated camera, this small, they don't push the video spec to the maximum. I doubt it will do long record times, but hopefully it will be unshackled from 30p-only and do 24p this time with a decent codec. Any mention of L-LOG?

Sigma should definitely get in on the premium full frame compact market.

The Leica 28mm has a lovely look but it relies on a lot of digital correction. The "optical masterpiece" is pretty terribly optically. Sigma can give us a small 35mm F1.4 full frame compact for half the price.

• Super Members

Of course I didn't avoid the internet today !

Officially announced now.

• Full-frame BSI CMOS Sensor with Triple Resolution Technology (60MP / 36MP / 18MP)
  • Summilux 28mm f/1.7 ASPH. fixed lens with integrated macro mode
  • Hybrid Autofocus System (Phase Detection AF + Contrast AF + Depth from Defocus + AI)
  • Tilting 3" display and 5.67MP OLED viewfinder
  • Fast and convenient connectivity with the Leica FOTOS app
  • USB-C and HDMI ports
  • Up to 8K-Video and multiple video formats including .h265 and ProRes
  • Made for iPhone and iPad
  • IP52 ingress protection

I'd recommend having a download of the full technical spec document as there are a lot of caveats involved int he video formats such as 8K being 4:2:0 and ProRes being 1080p only.

Not mentioned in that document but stated in the PetaPixel "preview" is that anything above 1080p is cropped.

Considering that Leica is really pushing the video specs of this camera, it is pretty laughable that it doesn't have a microphone input let alone not having a headphone socket. 

https://leica-camera.com/de-DE/fotografie/kameras/q/q3/technical-specification

$5,995.00 / €5,950.00 (Germany) / £5,300.00

https://leica-camera.com/en-GB/photography/cameras/q/q3-black

I’m not really sure why all this emphasis on the video side as their fan base doesn’t give two hoots and they are hardly going to persuade anyone who uses other brands?

Seems a bit weird to me…

Still absolutely want one for stills though and if I had the spondoolicks, I’d have one!

In fact every camera that has been launched recently it’s video video video and maybe that’s what people want or maybe it’s what the marketing dept thinks people want…

It seems like that at least to me.

Really not that surprising. The Q2 could already do DCI4K and the SL2 5K/4K60p/10-bit.

These are not the same users as the M series. Video is a given on the Q & SL series. 

SL2 is the clear winner with a full cine mode that switches to shutter angle, EI ASA & even measures aperture in T-stops:

Leica_Vader_LoRes_sRGB_0921-1024x576.jpg