My Thoughts Comparing the Sony fx30 and the fx3

markr041

I have shot many videos with both cameras (not borrowed for one week from Sony). I thought I would like the fx30 better, since I am a bit of a stickler on resolution, and the fx30 oversamples 4K from the full sensor. But, what I found is I just like the look of the full-frame 4K from the fx3. And the fx3 4K 120p is uncompromised, while that from the fx30 is clearly noisier and has a big extra crop. With the fx3 one can mix together slow motion (from 4K 120p) with any regular-motion frames (in my case, the dreaded 4K 60p).

The "big" fx3 disadvantage for me is that the lenses for the full-frame fx3 are so much bigger. I need to travel light, and also cannot poke big rigs into crowds or in some travel spots.

Thus, I tried out the fx3 with the smallest zoom lens there is the "kit" 28-60 collapsible lens. It is slow and has limited range. So, can you get shot variety from it? - Clear Image Zoom though helps it get to 90mm essentially losslessy. Do you sacrifice image quality from this cheap lens, including subject isolation from shallow DOF?

I took this combo to Bryant Park to capture the Spring blooms and the activities. The video mixes slow motion and regular motion (some bocce and pingpong clips are in slow motion 2X).

I was pleased with the results. The one issue is that I cannot smoothly manually zoom the kit lens, and I am normally very good at manually zooming. Clear Image Zoom gives me smooth variable-speed zooms, though, but only up to 1.5X.

Note this video does not use any of the new firmware features - this video could have been shot with the a7siii.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven’t used either so my comments are entirely without substance but when I was considering (and came very close to) flipping my L Mount set up, I decided the closest would be neither the FX3 nor the FX30.

Instead, it would be both.

FX3 instead of S1H

FX30 instead of S5

But I got an S5ii to replace the S5 as the 10k approx to change systems was a bit rich 🤑 

I like them both in principle and perfect lens line up for me from Tamron and if it were not for the €‘ s, I would have done it as for my needs, it would be the only current viable way for me to get from a 4 body down to a 3 body set up (A7RV being the 3rd body in the equation).

Maybe next year because I really do want to go 3 body as soon as it is viably possible.

11 hours ago, markr041 said:

I have shot many videos with both cameras (not borrowed for one week from Sony). I thought I would like the fx30 better, since I am a bit of a stickler on resolution, and the fx30 oversamples 4K from the full sensor. But, what I found is I just like the look of the full-frame 4K from the fx3. And the fx3 4K 120p is uncompromised, while that from the fx30 is clearly noisier and has a big extra crop. With the fx3 one can mix together slow motion (from 4K 120p) with any regular-motion frames (in my case, the dreaded 4K 60p).

The "big" fx3 disadvantage for me is that the lenses for the full-frame fx3 are so much bigger. I need to travel light, and also cannot poke big rigs into crowds or in some travel spots.

Thus, I tried out the fx3 with the smallest zoom lens there is the "kit" 28-60 collapsible lens. It is slow and has limited range. So, can you get shot variety from it? - Clear Image Zoom though helps it get to 90mm essentially losslessy. Do you sacrifice image quality from this cheap lens, including subject isolation from shallow DOF?

I took this combo to Bryant Park to capture the Spring blooms and the activities. The video mixes slow motion and regular motion (some bocce and pingpong clips are in slow motion 2X).

I was pleased with the results. The one issue is that I cannot smoothly manually zoom the kit lens, and I am normally very good at manually zooming. Clear Image Zoom gives me smooth variable-speed zooms, though, but only up to 1.5X.

Note this video does not use any of the new firmware features - this video could have been shot with the a7siii.

Would love to see you compare both in different conditions and ISO levels! Well done. 

I can understand the FX3's uncropped 4K120 being a clear advantage but the "I like FF look better" sounds pretty arbitrary. YMMV.

Personally I like the FX30 better for video because the 6K oversampled video, 26MP stills, S35 & FF third party lens support (with speed booster), the more usable dual ISO range, the less aggressive NR, and of course 50% more affordable price tag. In fact with the last firmware update, chances are it is going to be my next camera (just waiting on the next few Sony releases of which another FX body is rumoured to be coming by this summer with the new AI chip/features).

By the way, was surprised to see French pétanque being played in NYC although I guess it is in fact its Italian bocce cousin!

6 hours ago, Django said:

I can understand the FX3's uncropped 4K120 being a clear advantage but the "I like FF look better" sounds pretty arbitrary. YMMV.

Personally I like the FX30 better for video because the 6K oversampled video, 26MP stills, S35 & FF third party lens support (with speed booster), the more usable dual ISO range, the less aggressive NR, and of course 50% more affordable price tag. In fact with the last firmware update, chances are it is going to be my next camera (just waiting on the next few Sony releases of which another FX body is rumoured to be coming by this summer with the new AI chip/features).

By the way, was surprised to see French pétanque being played in NYC although I guess it is in fact its Italian bocce cousin!

What lens would you get for lowlight situations ? Are you always lighting ?

2 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

What lens would you get for lowlight situations ? Are you always lighting ?

No I don't use much lighting when run & gunning. Most low light I do is concerts and events and I'll use the available lighting for realistic ambience. I mostly shoot fast prime lenses so not a big issue. On Canon I'll usually go with the Canon 50mm F1.2 & 35mm F1.4 wide open. On Sony I shoot with the Zeiss 35mm F1.4 & Batis prime series. And for zoom the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8. I also don't mind crushing blacks and using a little NR. Whatever works. 

If I get the FX30 I'd surely go for those new 7artisans T1.05 cine primes I was talking about the other day.  

2 hours ago, Django said:

No I don't use much lighting when run & gunning. Most low light I do is concerts and events and I'll use the available lighting for realistic ambience. I mostly shoot fast prime lenses so not a big issue. On Canon I'll usually go with the Canon 50mm F1.2 & 35mm F1.4 wide open. On Sony I shoot with the Zeiss 35mm F1.4 & Batis prime series. And for zoom the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8. I also don't mind crushing blacks and using a little NR. Whatever works. 

If I get the FX30 I'd surely go for those new 7artisans T1.05 cine primes I was talking about the other day.  

Nice! I’ll see if there’s any videos of them on fx30. Kinda want the fx30 over the s52 or a7iv and either get a6600, a7C, or wait till summer for new Sony camera for photo. Having another apsc could be good to pair for my travel personal documentary stuff.