Samsung U28D590 review - Ultra HD 4K 28" monitor for $599

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have had computers for a loooong time now and I have invested in just two good monitors. A Sony 19" CRT (like nearly 20 years ago) and a Dell 23" LCD (from 2005). I am writing this on the Dell, it's very hard on video, you have to work to make things look good on it. The nice thing is that if I get things to look good on it, they look good everywhere else!!!

• Administrators

its great and the price is amazing. I do wish they went full 4k which has always been 4096 for me anyways. My monitor setup is getting close to needing an update too. Samsung at it again. Great stuff

4096 is the cinema standard. It is a bit like 1920 vs 2048 for 1080p and 2K. I don't think I've ever seen a 2048 2K monitor in 1.85:1 aspect ratio so doubt the PC industry will make one.

Another option is the high end IPS 21:9 3.5K display from LG. It's very nice for anamorphic footage ;)

• Administrators

Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q. Starting around €650.

Even more Retina with 4K @ 24"

Nice but be careful going smaller than 28" with 4K. For me 28" is the sweet spot. Not so big that your eyes have to track for miles side to side, but not so small that text and icons vanish when using it at the native 4K res.

I would not call this article a review. I would call it user experience.

If you want to see what a monitor review should consist of look for instance to TFTcentral. I value every article here on this site i just felt the name was missleading.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_u28d590d.htm

The monitor seems to lack HDMI 2.0 ports which for some might be important.

Nice but be careful going smaller than 28" with 4K. For me 28" is the sweet spot. Not so big that your eyes have to track for miles side to side, but not so small that text and icons vanish when using it at the native 4K res.

I agree, but TN really is a dealbreaker imo.

The Dell screen you really have to use with dpi scaling. Works fine on Mac OS. Not very good on Windows. For viewing 4K content it'll be still great though.

The 4K options are still a bit limited right now. Personally I'm interested in 21:9. The LG 34UM95 is a great screen (34" @ 3440x1440, IPS, around €900,-), Ive used it for a while.

You might think 34" is huge and you end up with a low pixel pitch, but that's not really the case. Can't compare it to 16:9 monitors. In height the screen is not even as big as a 27", it's just wide! Which is absolutely great to work with....

Seriously you two, were you expecting a 4K IPS panel for $599?

Come on, time to get a fucking clue.

I was just pointing out your that giving 4.5 stars for image quality because you got excited with monitor's resolution is big mistake. Value for money you're talking about here is another thing and your rating for it is correct. Time to get things straight?

Another great review site is prad.de.

As for this monitor... I'd normally recommend having a look at Korean brands apart from Samsung and LG, like for example Yamakasi, Crossover, Shimian, Wasabi, ... They usually offer pretty great panels at ridiculously low prices, like the panels Apple uses in their Cinema displays. However I've only seen a Wasabi that has 4K, and that's using a TN panel and isn't much cheaper than the Samsung. Not really worth it then. But I'm sure they'll come.

TN has come of age lately, IMHO, they are not that bad anymore. And I'm personally not a big fan of IPS, I have an old HP LP2465 that is equipped with a S-PVA panel, and I like it a lot. Viewing angles are great, there's little backlight bleed, it can get really bright, despite being used a lot already, colors etc. are good...

Saw one of these 4K monitors recently in Media Market, operating in Windows. Colours looked washed out and the demo 4k video in Windows Media actually looked like badly scaled 1080P. Menus and objects, very tiny, but I imagine the screen acreage will be useful for editors, and Mac may have a better interface with zooming and scaling.

OLED is a different story - stunning and amazing. I look forward to an OLED desktop (or AMOLED from Samsung) when they can sort out the operating life of blue pixels and other apparent cost issues.

Good to read about the quality of Sony's 4K HDMI output. Hopefully, Sony will provide updated firmware soon for the A7S to allow internal 4K recording, even if only for short sequences. Have you approached them on this subject, Richard?

Don't hold your breath on OLED monitors. They aren't going to happen any time soon. OLED has pretty heavy burn in issues, which make them useless for use as a computer monitor. Cost wouldn't even be that much of an issue anymore, Samsung has a 10" (?) tablet that uses an OLED screen, and it isn't that expensive compared to comparable tablets with a LCD screen.