Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

its a very good lens I highly recomend it , it has a certain je ne sais quis that Angenieux have designed into this lens , it makes things look good! slighlty less contrast than modern plastic aspheric lenses and slightly softer all makes for a more filmic look in my book!!

here are some frame grabs from a moving image (so Ive tried to grab the infocus bits as Im filming arty farty narrow dof here ), from a job I just did all with the Tokina (I've covered over the bits you are not supposed to see on this forum)

This is the Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 version 1

all this filmed on the long end of the lens @ 70mm f2.8 on a Zhyongy Lens Turbo speedbooster , making this an f1.8 lens

so very narrow dof , it has a very filmic look this lens especially on skin!

shot on Panasonic G6 , Natural , 4000k with an amber lighting gelled set up

all these frame grabs are straight out the camera no processing or grading, thats just how I shot it so you can see the lens in its raw form, not my grading!!

tokina 2'' target='_blank'>tokina 2> tokina 2

tokina 3'' target='_blank'>tokina 3> tokina 3

tokina 4'' target='_blank'>tokina 4> tokina 4

tokina 5'' target='_blank'>tokina 5> tokina 5

tokina atx pro 28 70mm'' target='_blank'>tokina atx pro 28 70mm> tokina atx pro 28 70mm

Andy, I may have the opportunity to pick up some Nikkor manual lenses.

Haven't seen them yet so don't know exact names of them

Looking at these for m43 video

Nikkor 24mm f2.8

Nikkor 35mm f1.2

Nikkor 50mm f1.4

Is there a speed booster that can be used with these manual Nikkor lenses?

Also, if these are in good condition, how much would they be worth?

Glad to have someone so knowledgeable to ask questions about older lenses.

Nikkor 24mm f2.8

Nikkor 35mm f1.2

Nikkor 50mm f1.4

Yes, my £72 Camdiox speed booster works with manual lenses. You use the aperture control on the lens rather than the adapter. Im sure the other speed boosters work the same way.

I do highly recomend the Zhongyi Mitakon Lens Turbo speedbooster over all the other cheaper ones.

Ive A/B these against the RJ one and the Lens Turbo is slightly sharper in my book .

I use one in Nikon Mount on the Tokina ATX PRO 28-70mm and one on my Canon 24-105 L series

so you all know know the Tokina is a hidden jem killer lens as good as many cinema lenses out there costing 10x as much.

Well here is my hidden jem zoom no 2 for you all to get.

Canon FD 35-70mm f4  (constant apperture) mounted on a RJ Fianance Canon FD - micro 4/3 speedbooster

This lens is metal bodied , internal focus and internal zoom , like the Tokina built like a tank , and the glass is insanley sharp and has the Canon L series look to it , Ken Rockwell gives this lens a great review  here is quote from him

"The 35-70mm f/4 is unusually sharp right out to the corners, even wide-open, and has little or no distortion throughout most of the zoom range.

The Canon FD 35-70/4 is also built tough; it's almost all-metal.

It's a two-ring zoom. There are no weird macro settings; it focuses directly down to 1.6 feet (0.5 meters) at all focal lengths as part of the regular focus range.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/fd/35-70mm-f4.htm

so I added this lens to a FD speedbooster making it approx f2.8 25-50mm

Im shooting 3 cameras on some scenes and cutting this lens in with the Canon L series 24-105 and the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm and it cuts in well no issues , I cannot tell the difference between shots on it and the Canon L series lens when all cut together - its Canon Glass after all, it has exactly the same look as the L series glass same colouring and black saturation and sharpness .... and alot of people widely regard some of the FD lenses optically superior to the modern EF lenses

THIS LENS IS ONE OF THEM!

its very very cheap on ebay as no one wants them  .....until now ....get buying !

ps: its very small and light which is nice!! great for run and gun on a small rig

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOXED-CANON-FD-35-70mm-F4-ZOOM-LENS-for-MANUAL-FOCUS-FILM-SLRs-T70-AE-1-T90-/121387421068?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item1c43410d8c

Nikkor 24mm f2.8

Nikkor 35mm f1.2

Nikkor 50mm f1.4

with that set of Nikon lenses and a speed booster you could almost shoot an entire movie as the speedbooster will give you effectively  a 17mm f1.8 on your 24mm (faster wider and even sharper lens, )so get a dumb regular nikon - micro 4/3 adapter and a Lens turbo and you are good to get ...get filming !

I do highly recomend the Zhongyi Mitakon Lens Turbo speedbooster over all the other cheaper ones.

I have the Nikon - micro 4/3 version it is superb ... get one

Andy...thanks so much for your advice...found a very nice version of your original Tokina 28-70 in Florida...Excited to get this and excellent price!

thats good - let us know how you get on with it

also you can get this lens de clicked so it has a smooth apperture - I got mine done it is useful for 'inbetween settings'

here are some frame grabs from a moving image (so Ive tried to grab the infocus bits as Im filming arty farty narrow dof here ), from a job I just did all with the Tokina (I've covered over the bits you are not supposed to see on this forum)

This is the Tokina AT-X PRO 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 version 1

all this filmed on the long end of the lens @ 70mm f2.8 on a Zhyongy Lens Turbo speedbooster , making this an f1.8 lens

so very narrow dof , it has a very filmic look this lens especially on skin!

shot on Panasonic G6 , Natural , 4000k with an amber lighting gelled set up

all these frame grabs are straight out the camera no processing or grading, thats just how I shot it so you can see the lens in its raw form, not my grading!!

Cheers Andy - again you're a fountain of interesting lens suggestions!

Just got to find one now in the UK!

Will also check out that Canon FD you just suggested.

Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 is a later design that has been tweeked by Tokina added aspheric elements and different internal coatings etc etc

the f2.6-2.8 version 1 is the original Angenieux design from the 1990s licenesed by Tokina and replicated exactly in their lens - optically it is no different if anything the Tokins full metal housing is better then the Angenieux original which has ABS plastic bits on it

I dont have that lens , I do have the TOKINA RMC 28-85 F4 and it is good , its low contrast so has a cool 'log c profile' type look to it! vintage film style , I like it for certain jobs that need a low contrast look to them

The Tokina RMC range are all metal bodies and built like tanks ! good and very cheap on ebay

The trick now is all these f4 zoom lenses that no one wants are suddenly all f2.8 lenses when we put then on a speedbooster making them very very desirable lens now they are faster wider and sharper !

another jem is the Pentax PK mount 75-150mm f4 zoom - bloody sharp and now on a speedbooster very very usable !

Im not really a fan of push pull zooms but I can live with the Pentax as I just use it as a vari prime - Im not crash zooming while filming with it

at the long end of the lens it is very very good! its short and compact for its focal length ,

So after making a purchase of the PRO 80-200mm yesterday, I saw all the talk here about the 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 And by chance there was a listing on ebay that was ending in a few hours. I impulsively put in a bid and just ended up winning it for 202 euros. :o  Really poor on my part because it's outside of my budget  Really not sure if I should go ahead with the sale. On the one hand, it completes my zoom range (18-35, 80-200 and now 28-70) and its a sweet lens. On the other hand, I don't actually feel like I need this range and it's outside my budget. What to do... decisions decisions.. Andy, any chance you could check those pictures to see if it's even the right one? I heard there's a Pro I and Pro II. Not sure which one is better either..

Thought Ã'd give an update :)

I bought the Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 AT-X Pro. Just waiting for it to arrive from Ireland now.

The Camdiox focal reducer/lens turbo I bought (which I believe is the same as the "RJ" one) I'm starting to feel disappointed about. I'd say it's noticeably soft around 10% around the edge of the whole frame. And there is some play in the mount to the camera body (it shifts in angle a bit).

I returned the Tokina 80-200mm f2.8 and received the Pro version yesterday from Japan. It is in near pristine condition and yet was the cheapest on ebay. The build of this lens is just ridiculous. I've never held a lens that felt so good. Unfortunately, at f2.8 the optics seem a little worse than the non-Pro version. There is noticeable softness and fringing. But I can live with it and maybe if I buy the Metabones speedbooster, it'll perform better.

I use the Lens Turbo with the Tokina - alot cheaper than the Metabones

I prefer Lens Turbo to RJ - its sharper (I have both)

the only truely sharp wide open 80-200 2.8 is the Nikon ED version - as rehoused for Bourne....but its not cheap £££$$$$