Lenses

Andrew Reid

31 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yep I see what you linked,I think because of the near similar flange distance I'll be leaning towards a mirror camera's flange distance ,i.e. Nik-Can-leica slr mount's....

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, BLACKOUT said:

Hello all, wanting to adapt a SONY E MOUNT  LENS TO MICRO FOUR THIRDS BODY, I see the flange distances for both are very close and would appreciate if any smart or dumb adaptors exist?

Wanting to get the 2 x focal effect from a long full frame lens to the M4/3 crop for a lockdown tripod sequence.

Thanks..............

No, sorry.      The M43 mount is actually shorter than Sony E so any adapter would either lose infinity or have glass in it with a crop factor.

There ARE adapters going the other way but they are very thin and only really of use with M43 lenses with mechanical aperture and focus.

They are so thin that you might find some lenses wont fit (at least one of my focal reducers would not fit into my adapter  when playing around to see what worked).

Just now, noone said:

No, sorry.      The M43 mount is actually shorter than Sony E so any adapter would either lose infinity or have glass in it with a crop factor.

There ARE adapters going the other way but they are very thin and only really of use with M43 lenses with mechanical aperture and focus.

They are so thin that you might find some lenses wont fit (at least one of my focal reducers would not fit into my adapter  when playing around to see what worked).

Got m43 body in my hands now and a sony lens , and your on the mark, guess I'll be looking for a slr type lens to fit the flange.Thats a bummer because already into the E mount system 

Most people go the old manual Nikon, or Canon FD lenses on m4/3 for cost reasons mostly. Unless you are looking for manual focus there is a ton of nice m4/3 lenses around that are pretty cheap. I have Always been a fan of the 14-140mm lenses, especially the last one out. Hard to find fast lenses from Any brand that are cheap. But even m4/3 now isn't that bad for low light. It's not like years ago you were afraid to go above 400 ISO. And razor thin DoF is overrated anyways with video. You are allowed to walk back a bit and use a zoom to get tighter shots in a lot of circumstances if you have room.

And now there is a lot of the cheap Chinese Cine lenses out. Some are not bad money wise used. But don't go out and buy 50 old lenses. It can become a habit on adopted lenses! There are a few people on here that are guilty as charged! :blush:

Buy a original A7 or a A7s, they are cheap as hell anymore. That way can use your lenses. Heck they fit on the A6000, or newer, hell older also. You really have more better FF choices for adopted lenses on the A7xx cameras than just about anything, even m4/3. Tons and tons of used FF lenses around. Yeah I am done with m4/3 myself.

Canon EF lenses work great on both systems and there are lots of smart adapters for each.   Canon FD, Pentax and older Nikon lenses as well as lots of others adapt well to both systems as well.

I have sold of my M43 gear now but might get something again later.

I liked having a couple of native lenses for each system and adapting the rest across systems.

Just now, BLACKOUT said:

Got m43 body in my hands now and a sony lens , and your on the mark, guess I'll be looking for a slr type lens to fit the flange.Thats a bummer because already into the E mount system 

14 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Most people go the old manual Nikon, or Canon FD lenses on m4/3 for cost reasons mostly. Unless you are looking for manual focus there is a ton of nice m4/3 lenses around that are pretty cheap. I have Always been a fan of the 14-140mm lenses, especially the last one out. Hard to find fast lenses from Any brand that are cheap. But even m4/3 now isn't that bad for low light. It's not like years ago you were afraid to go above 400 ISO. And razor thin DoF is overrated anyways with video. You are allowed to walk back a bit and use a zoom to get tighter shots in a lot of circumstances if you have room.

And now there is a lot of the cheap Chinese Cine lenses out. Some are not bad money wise used. But don't go out and buy 50 old lenses. It can become a habit on adopted lenses! There are a few people on here that are guilty as charged! :blush:

Buy a original A7 or a A7s, they are cheap as hell anymore. That way can use your lenses. Heck they fit on the A6000, or newer, hell older also. You really have more better FF choices for adopted lenses on the A7xx cameras than just about anything, even m4/3. Tons and tons of used FF lenses around.

Thanks for the info, got some older manual len's left over from the 90's but was hoping to get some newer lens designs onto a M43 body for a focal increase.And maybe some of the late model coatings and mojo of some of the better e mount lens.

4 minutes ago, BLACKOUT said:

Thanks for the info, got some older manual len's left over from the 90's but was hoping to get some newer lens designs onto a M43 body for a focal increase.And maybe some of the late model coatings and mojo of some of the better e mount lens.

Are you shooting video or Photos mostly?  You mean a longer lens or using a Speedbooster for focal increase? Ahh you mean the 2x crop I bet.

11 minutes ago, noone said:

Canon EF lenses work great on both systems and there are lots of smart adapters for each.   Canon FD, Pentax and older Nikon lenses as well as lots of others adapt well to both systems as well.

I have sold of my M43 gear now but might get something again later.

I liked having a couple of native lenses for each system and adapting the rest across systems.

I like the M43 mount gear immensely,and was hoping for a cheat 2 x increase to focal length just for the occasional surfing shot from beach location.I'll start a project into some manual focus gear shortly, thanks for the heads up........

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Are you shooting video or Photos mostly?

Stills 

Ahh then you do want newer looking lenses. For video you want Worse looking ones LoL. Well the Sony A7xx cameras have a thing called Clear Zoom. Ii is a digital 2x  zoom but it works surprisingly well. Some of the m4/3 cameras have a zoom also. not 2x I think though. Well one good thing about FF if you have the MP you can zoom in with a crop in Photoshop. Poor mans zoom lens. :grin: That 2x factor on m4/3 can be a blessing or a curse.

I really liked m4/3 when I was into nature photography for not having to carry a big lens and camera. But 16mp was really not cutting it for that, especially birding. So I bought a Sony A7r. Ehh that worked! I don't know why but I really love the form factor of them. I have a Sony A7s now. And my son is buying a used A7r mk II. The mk II  works Really well with EF lenses. And really was the cats ass camera really no that long ago. They are down to like 1500 bucks now used.

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Ahh then you do want newer looking lenses. For video you want Worse looking ones LoL. Well the Sony A7xx cameras have a thing called Clear Zoom. Ii is a digital 2x  zoom but it works surprisingly well. Some of the m4/3 cameras have a zoom also. not 2x I think though. Well one good thing about FF if you have the MP you can zoom in with a crop in Photoshop. Poor mans zoom lens. :grin: That 2x factor on m4/3 can be a blessing or a curse.

I really liked m4/3 when I was into nature photography for not having to carry a big lens and camera. But 16mp was really not cutting it for that, especially birding. So I bought a Sony A7r. Ehh that worked! I son't know but I really love the form factor of them. I have a Sony A7s now. And my son is buying a used A7r mk II. The mk II  works Really well with EF lenses.

Yep got an A7RII with some nice wides , but  curious to know what the 2 x factor robs from the output????

Good question LoL? Why don't you just adopt a old Canon 70-200 or 75-300 on the A7III?  Heck with 2x you would be at 600mm for 150 bucks, they give away the 75-300's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004THD0/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Apparently nothing? I have never seen hardly any difference when I use it. But I don't print over 19" x 14", that is as big as my printer goes.

http://eriknaso.com/2015/12/21/sony-clear-image-zoom-gets-2x-zoom-with-no-image-quality-loss/

And on here.

50 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Good question LoL? Why don't you just adopt a old Canon 70-200 or 75-300 on the A7III?  Heck with 2x you would be at 600mm for 150 bucks, they give away the 75-300's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004THD0/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Apparently nothing? I have never seen hardly any difference when I use it. But I don't print over 19" x 14", that is as big as my printer goes.

http://eriknaso.com/2015/12/21/sony-clear-image-zoom-gets-2x-zoom-with-no-image-quality-loss/

And on here.

Thanks very much, saw an old name up front there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, BLACKOUT said:

Thanks very much, saw an old name up front there too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How time rolls on..........

Clear zoom works great.       It is for both video and Jpeg stills but doesn't work in RAW.      I have it set to turn on (A7s) via the down button and then use the left/right buttons to zoom in and out.

It is virtually lossless variable zoom to 2x (you can also use variable digital zoom which goes to 4x but above 2x, it does start getting lossy and especially as you get to 4x).

If you start with a decent lens you keep a decent lens and (for example) ANY 50mm prime zoomed to 90mm (1.8x clearzoom) is going to be better than 90mm on my worst Canon zoom optically but lenses like the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 zoomed leave it for dead (an old 28-90 EF kit lens).

It turns a lens like my Canon 17mm f4 L TS-E into a 17-34 tilt shift zoom but also works great with fast longer lenses too.

M43 has its ETC which works very well but to date at least none have been variable and they are more like fixed teleconverters (1.4x or 2x I think) than "zooms" like Sony has.

As for lenses, I have used a few across systems and some I liked on both M43 and FF E mount are the old Tamron 300 2.8 adaptall manual focus lens, the Canon EF 135 f2 L, an old EF 100-300 5.6 L (an old lens that focused slowly on my first gen A7 cameras but was still ok and was fast AF on my M43 camera and Kipon adapter- AFS only), and a Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro (plays up on Sony but works ok for MF as well as fast AF on M43) and a EF 100 f2.

FD lenses I liked on both systems include the 80-200 f4 L, FD 50 1.2 L,  and FD 85 1.2 L.  

I have cut right back lately though so only have the 300 2.8 (followed me across several systems) , Sigma 150 2.8, and FD 85 1.2 L (though is a bit sick and needing a fix but since getting an FE 85 1.8, just isn't needed now).

14 hours ago, noone said:

Clear zoom works great.       It is for both video and Jpeg stills but doesn't work in RAW.      I have it set to turn on (A7s) via the down button and then use the left/right buttons to zoom in and out.

It is virtually lossless variable zoom to 2x (you can also use variable digital zoom which goes to 4x but above 2x, it does start getting lossy and especially as you get to 4x).

If you start with a decent lens you keep a decent lens and (for example) ANY 50mm prime zoomed to 90mm (1.8x clearzoom) is going to be better than 90mm on my worst Canon zoom optically but lenses like the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8 zoomed leave it for dead (an old 28-90 EF kit lens).

It turns a lens like my Canon 17mm f4 L TS-E into a 17-34 tilt shift zoom but also works great with fast longer lenses too.

M43 has its ETC which works very well but to date at least none have been variable and they are more like fixed teleconverters (1.4x or 2x I think) than "zooms" like Sony has.

As for lenses, I have used a few across systems and some I liked on both M43 and FF E mount are the old Tamron 300 2.8 adaptall manual focus lens, the Canon EF 135 f2 L, an old EF 100-300 5.6 L (an old lens that focused slowly on my first gen A7 cameras but was still ok and was fast AF on my M43 camera and Kipon adapter- AFS only), and a Sigma 150 2.8 APO macro (plays up on Sony but works ok for MF as well as fast AF on M43) and a EF 100 f2.

FD lenses I liked on both systems include the 80-200 f4 L, FD 50 1.2 L,  and FD 85 1.2 L.  

I have cut right back lately though so only have the 300 2.8 (followed me across several systems) , Sigma 150 2.8, and FD 85 1.2 L (though is a bit sick and needing a fix but since getting an FE 85 1.8, just isn't needed now).

Had a run with the 17 & 24 TSE previously and was highly impressed with both on what is achievable, next and currently is some Emount gear then build up on some standard and short tele.

Clear zoom looks like to be the magic bullet for the current term ,great info thanks a lot....

While I  do like it a lot, it isn't perfect.      I guess in some ways it seems like I am turning my FF camera into a APSC and M43 one (depending on how far I zoom)

For my uses it is great.    I actually think if I had more money and did a greater variety of shooting, I would prefer using both a FF and M43 camera again but it is just simpler and easier for me to now use Sony only and I like primes generally  so am happy I can use them to "zoom".

Hope it works for you.