I need help to choose the right microphone

Dan Wake

Hello I need to take audio in short movies and I'm actually using my Zoom H6. the problem is that his X/Y microphones are too much sensible and takes so much sound from the  surroundings environment.
I need a microphones that takes ony the voice of the actors also in ambience where it's too loud. is the rode ntg2 the right microphone? 

I wish a michropnone that give a nice volume level when recording. and give not white noise. which is the best for my zoom h6? my budget is around 200 euros.

thanks a lot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nothing's going to be superior to lavaliere mics.  The best microphone in the world will sound lousy if it's not placed correctly.  If the camera is far away from the subject, don't expect great sound.

Physics.  You can't deny it. 

Booms and Lavs exist for good reason.

Since you're on a budget, I suggest getting a nice long pole, a smart PA to hold it, and putting the best 200 euro mic at the end of it.

Also, a decent (self) education on how to record audio and WHY sound does what it does ... it's such a good investment, don't overlook that part.

I use the NTG2 with a Roland R-26 (which seems to be pretty similar to the H6) and it works fine. I know a lot of people had problems using the NTG2 with the Zoom H4N, but my guess is this won't be a problem with the H6.

The NT2G on a boom pole pointed down as close to the speaker as possible will work well. Mounted on camera, it won't work as well (due to distance, rear pickup (shotguns also pick up from the rear- that's why you aim them down from above). If you can use a wired lav, that's the best low cost solution (including hiding the H6 on the talent). The Audio Technica Pro70 is a pretty good deal for around $110USD. For something higher quality, Oscar Sound Tech are a very good value, e.g. OST-802 (just need to make sure you get it wired for your particular setup): http://oscarsoundtech.com/ (should also be around $100).

The problem with an NTG2 is that it is not very sensitive, so you will need to increase gain on the Zoom H6, which will increase background sounds. It will work better than on a Zoom H4n, because the impedance on that unit was only 2k iirc (H6 is like 6K maybe?, so you won't lose as much volume from your mic source b/c of a poor impedance ratio). Also, I don't know the specs,  but I assume the H6 will provide better phantom power than the H4n. 

The main thing is getting your mic close to the talent. If you have a mic attached to a dslr, then your screwed. No matter how much money you spend you will be screwed. If you are a one man show, then go with a lavaliere. A $100 lav will sound better than a $1,000 mic attached to a DSLR. If you need a shotgun, I'd get an MKE 600.

The problem with an NTG2 is that it is not very sensitive, so you will need to increase gain on the Zoom H6, which will increase background sounds. It will work better than on a Zoom H4n, because the impedance on that unit was only 2k iirc (H6 is like 6K maybe?, so you won't lose as much volume from your mic source b/c of a poor impedance ratio). Also, I don't know the specs,  but I assume the H6 will provide better phantom power than the H4n. 

The main thing is getting your mic close to the talent. If you have a mic attached to a dslr, then your screwed. No matter how much money you spend you will be screwed. If you are a one man show, then go with a lavaliere. A $100 lav will sound better than a $1,000 mic attached to a DSLR. If you need a shotgun, I'd get an MKE 600.

I have found a guy who have both Zoom H6 and Rode NTG2. I asked about this problem that the ntg2 seems to be not very sensitive, so I will need to increase gain on the Zoom H6.... He replied to me that the gain dial on the H6 with the NTG2 is on 4/5 on the Zoom Shotgun its on 9. The noise floor on the NTG2 is much lower and the recording is a lot cleaner so I don't have to boost it any where as much.

What do you suggest me to do? thx a lot again!  :)

Another issue is that the NTG2 is more sensitive when using phantom power. Batteries in your recorder don't last long with phantom power, but if you can use the AC adapter phantom is fine. If you need to use batteries in your recorder, you need to use the battery in the NTG2 if you want to use it for any length of time.

Another issue is that the NTG2 is more sensitive when using phantom power. Batteries in your recorder don't last long with phantom power, but if you can use the AC adapter phantom is fine. If you need to use batteries in your recorder, you need to use the battery in the NTG2 if you want to use it for any length of time.

what do you mean for more sensitive? does exist any difference in therms of performance quality when using phantom power or batteries in the ntg 2?

thanks a lot

what do you mean for more sensitive? does exist any difference in therms of performance quality when using phantom power or batteries in the ntg 2?

thanks a lot

Yes, if I remember correctly it has a wider range and less noise with phantom power. It's still good in battery mode, but not quite as good. The info is out there somewhere - couldn't find it with a quick google search, but check the forums. I have the NTG2, but I prefer the sound of the Sennheiser MKE600. More expensive though.

thanks a lot

pretty much any mic that runs on phatom power as well as batteries will perform better when it's running on P48 (phantom power). your signal will drop in volume running on batteries. so for the best possible performance you will want to supply P48 power either through a recorder that has phantom power, or through a device like a denecke ps-1.

but really it's not a big problem. if you can get the mic close to the source, that is more important than battery power vs phantom power.

FilmBrute, I appreciate your input and the idea you mentioned of using a lavalier microphone... this make a lot of sense to me. 

Do any of you involved with this board feel there is any real noticeable difference in quality between the Zoom H1 vs the Zoom H4N?

I understand build quality and the available options are different with each model... but at the end of the day, does the H4N sound that much cleaner and/or better? 

My thoughts were to spend more on a good microphone and settle with the $100 H1. Does this seem like a good idea?

FilmBrute, I appreciate your input and the idea you mentioned of using a lavalier microphone... this make a lot of sense to me. 

Do any of you involved with this board feel there is any real noticeable difference in quality between the Zoom H1 vs the Zoom H4N?

I understand build quality and the available options are different with each model... but at the end of the day, does the H4N sound that much cleaner and/or better? 

My thoughts were to spend more on a good microphone and settle with the $100 H1. Does this seem like a good idea?

Yes, the H4N is rubbish. There are better recorders out there these days. The H1 is better for a wired lav anyway - it's smaller and you don't really need XLR for a lav.  I went for the Sony ICD-SX1000 instead of the H1 because it's smaller and easier to use. I like it a lot.

Here's my experience:

I use both ZOOM devices.  And while my H4N is perfectly useable with my Sony ECM-77B wired lav mic, the H1 with the Sennheiser EW100 wireless system actually delivers superior --and very clean low noise floor audio.

Plus the flexibility of wireless shouldn't be overlooked.  It comes in handy.  Being mobile with audio is a valuable tool.

Here's my experience:

I use both ZOOM devices. And while my H4N is perfectly useable with my Sony ECM-77B wired lav mic, the H1 with the Sennheiser EW100 wireless system actually delivers superior --and very clean low noise floor audio.

Plus the flexibility of wireless shouldn't be overlooked. It comes in handy. Being mobile with audio is a valuable tool.

I see your point. I'm rethinking much of my original idea though about working with a lavaliere. I'll be interviewing much older and affluent Jewish women and I can't say that I am comfortable with wiring them for sound in a way that doesn't show the mic. I also feel uneasy about possible ruffle from clothes and how to fix if it were to happen with these ladies. Thus, my research going forward seems to point towards a shotgun mic of sorts. I would appreciate any input or experience from the good people of this board regarding this route, I am open for suggestions.

I am open for suggestions.

Sennheiser MKH-416 - Short Shotgun Interference Tube Mic.  It's awesome.  Float it a few inches over the subjects head just off frame for interviews and it's every bit as good as a lav.  You'll need a rig to do get it in the right spot... or a PA.

I use a c-stand when I'm on my own. 

That said, even a cheaper (ME67) shotgun will capture passable audio with proper PLACEMENT.  Honestly, without putting the mic in the right spot all your audio will sound bad, lav or shotgun.

It's not a difficult skill to learn how to engineer decent audio.  I'm constantly amazed so many people in video production don't actively study it.

Sennheiser MKH-416 - Short Shotgun Interference Tube Mic. It's awesome. Float it a few inches over the subjects head just off frame for interviews and it's every bit as good as a lav. You'll need a rig to do get it in the right spot... or a PA.

I use a c-stand when I'm on my own.

That said, even a cheaper (ME67) shotgun will capture passable audio with proper PLACEMENT. Honestly, without putting the mic in the right spot all your audio will sound bad, lav or shotgun.

It's not a difficult skill to learn how to engineer decent audio. I'm constantly amazed so many people in video production don't actively study it.

Very helpful response. What about the idea of a small mic stand in front of the person being interviewed... it wouldn't be in the shot. Would I get the same results instead of booming overhead? Is it simply better to mic up high?

If you want to not bother with the audio bug at all, here you have:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/907000-REG/Panasonic_dmw_ms2_External_Stereo_Mic_For.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/943375-REG/panasonic_vw_vms10_stereo_microphone_plug_in.html

I suggest this one to add:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html

"Auto tones can be added to the beginning and ending of the recording and a button can be pressed to add a slate tone to the audio at any time. These tones are also output to the 3.5mm camera out jack so they can be recorded to your DSLR camera's audio recorder for timing reference."