DJI Action 2

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, androidlad said:

Some reviews have revealed a serious flaw - overheating.

In 25C ambient environment, even 1080 30P overheat after 30min, 4K 60P overheats just after 5min.

I saw a few reviews citing overheating issues in most 4k settings. Plus the body gets noticeably hot, to the point if being uncomfortable. Would be interesting to see some people burn themselves, wearing this to their chest. The paid or clickbait ones obviously didn't notice, or didn't care to be honest. Btw, EU regulations have prevented having dual heat levels for switching off, so its going to shoot for much lesser in Europe, by default.

Not sure what DJI was thinking, creating something with such terrible heat management issues. And, winter is just around the corner. In the summer, this is definitely going to burn someone. 

17 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I think it would be great to have action cam with a 24 or even better 35mm 1.8 lens to chest or helmet or bike mount.... for sure you will not see all the artifacts as it will be all oof.....

They call action cameras because they are made for that, not for narrative work.
I'm sorry that you don't like that people enjoy skiing, snowboarding, mtb.... but you don't need to watch and it does not have to be extreme as the target are consumers.
For a action POV camera the wider the better and I can tell you the 1 inch insta that is probably the better camera of all the action camera stays mostly at home as the fov is useless for POV and for non POV a mirrorless camera is 1000 better. 

I do agree that quality is horrible from all but you get footage that you will not get in another way. Is the same as 360 cameras quality is horrible buy you can capture scene that would cost 100x more to do with a real camera.

Totally agree about your comments that it's an "action" camera and that "action" is often best filmed with a fisheye.  I've watched enough skateboarding / skiing / surfing videos to know that it's definitely the right tool for the job.

The thing that bothers me about these cameras is that they don't have a way of turning down / off the ridiculous sharpening levels, or writing a higher bitrate / bit-depth.  For example, offering an unsharpened 130Mbps 10-bit 4K in a straight log curve would be great.

In terms of not getting that kind of footage any other way, it depends on what the situation is.  Sure, if you want to get footage by attaching a camera to the brim of your hat then yeah, you're not getting that with any other camera, but you don't have to compromise size or weight that much before you can get spectacularly better footage.  For example the BMMCC shoots 1080p RAW and is very small:

image.thumb.png.8a88080cc38869fd6afe7214c9bed8da.png

or the ZCam E1, which is barely bigger than the GoPro:

image.thumb.png.36542576c2e5806b193c3f997346ba1a.png

Both are MFT mounts and can take lenses of 7.5mm or 6mm (and some even wider if you dig far enough into C-mount history and industrial lenses) that offer seriously wide FOVs.  The 7.5mm lens is FF equivalent to a 15mm on FF and is about the same as most GoPros.

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

I saw a few reviews citing overheating issues in most 4k settings. Plus the body gets noticeably hot, to the point if being uncomfortable. Would be interesting to see some people burn themselves, wearing this to their chest. The paid or clickbait ones obviously didn't notice, or didn't care to be honest. Btw, EU regulations have prevented having dual heat levels for switching off, so its going to shoot for much lesser in Europe, by default.

Not sure what DJI was thinking, creating something with such terrible heat management issues. And, winter is just around the corner. In the summer, this is definitely going to burn someone. 

It's always a challenge of overheating vs features, and camera manufacturers have ALWAYS released cameras that work in some conditions and not others.  It's funny that most cameras don't work for people in the hot countries but when the people in the cold countries in the northern hemisphere are effected then it's all tears and forum fist shaking! 😂😂😂

1 hour ago, kye said:

Totally agree about your comments that it's an "action" camera and that "action" is often best filmed with a fisheye.

Really? Go now to say that to a F1 Live Grand Prix director... ; )

https://fotografiaprofissional.org/lente-olho-de-peixe-fish-eye/

It is in Portuguese but it is funny how action seemed out of that professional purpose list ;- )

On 10/31/2021 at 4:44 AM, kye said:

Totally agree about your comments that it's an "action" camera and that "action" is often best filmed with a fisheye.  I've watched enough skateboarding / skiing / surfing videos to know that it's definitely the right tool for the job.

The thing that bothers me about these cameras is that they don't have a way of turning down / off the ridiculous sharpening levels, or writing a higher bitrate / bit-depth.  For example, offering an unsharpened 130Mbps 10-bit 4K in a straight log curve would be great.

In terms of not getting that kind of footage any other way, it depends on what the situation is.  Sure, if you want to get footage by attaching a camera to the brim of your hat then yeah, you're not getting that with any other camera, but you don't have to compromise size or weight that much before you can get spectacularly better footage.  For example the BMMCC shoots 1080p RAW and is very small:

image.thumb.png.8a88080cc38869fd6afe7214c9bed8da.png

or the ZCam E1, which is barely bigger than the GoPro:

image.thumb.png.36542576c2e5806b193c3f997346ba1a.png

Both are MFT mounts and can take lenses of 7.5mm or 6mm (and some even wider if you dig far enough into C-mount history and industrial lenses) that offer seriously wide FOVs.  The 7.5mm lens is FF equivalent to a 15mm on FF and is about the same as most GoPros.

It's always a challenge of overheating vs features, and camera manufacturers have ALWAYS released cameras that work in some conditions and not others.  It's funny that most cameras don't work for people in the hot countries but when the people in the cold countries in the northern hemisphere are effected then it's all tears and forum fist shaking! 😂😂😂

Z E1 215 gr, mft 7.5mm 170gr.... BMMCC is 300gr without battery and lens..... 0.5 KG on your helmet is super dangerous, try to convince an athlete to attach these to his helmet..... compared to a GO 2 27gr or this new osmo at 57gr.....  some of the people that I work with they complain about an insta360 R or GoPro imagine this. Since I use a GO 2 nobody is complaining.... quality is barley usable but people agree to use it. 
Crash happens all the time to so better throw away a 300-400$ camera (and some time is just the lens protector that breaks) than a 1500$....

Also for helmet mount or Mtb mount etc you need great stabilization so that rules out camera like Z E1 or BMMCC....

Consumer action camera has progressed so much especially on the stabilization, horizon lock, etc.. that is almost not financially doable to build a more pro version as the market is way to small compared to the investment needed.

Insta and Gopro offer some flat profile but only 8 bit and has some sharpening on it..... 10 bit and no sharpening I do agree it would be great.

I was very exited about the 1 inch insta but at the end is the one that I use the least as is too narrow for body mount, it has minimum focus etc. so I end up use it as kind of remote camera but most of the time for that I can put one of my R5 with a much better quality, like for ice hokcey net, car roll bar, horse showjumping obstacle, etc... 

On 11/4/2021 at 12:44 AM, gt3rs said:

Z E1 215 gr, mft 7.5mm 170gr.... BMMCC is 300gr without battery and lens..... 0.5 KG on your helmet is super dangerous, try to convince an athlete to attach these to his helmet..... compared to a GO 2 27gr or this new osmo at 57gr.....  some of the people that I work with they complain about an insta360 R or GoPro imagine this. Since I use a GO 2 nobody is complaining.... quality is barley usable but people agree to use it. 
Crash happens all the time to so better throw away a 300-400$ camera (and some time is just the lens protector that breaks) than a 1500$....

Also for helmet mount or Mtb mount etc you need great stabilization so that rules out camera like Z E1 or BMMCC....

Consumer action camera has progressed so much especially on the stabilization, horizon lock, etc.. that is almost not financially doable to build a more pro version as the market is way to small compared to the investment needed.

Insta and Gopro offer some flat profile but only 8 bit and has some sharpening on it..... 10 bit and no sharpening I do agree it would be great.

I was very exited about the 1 inch insta but at the end is the one that I use the least as is too narrow for body mount, it has minimum focus etc. so I end up use it as kind of remote camera but most of the time for that I can put one of my R5 with a much better quality, like for ice hokcey net, car roll bar, horse showjumping obstacle, etc... 

Yes, if you're convincing an athlete to wear something then it's a different story I guess.  Although I could make the argument that you could get those shots with heavier cameras, it's just that the talent doesn't want to lol.

But even then, your point just strengthens the better codec argument.  If you can't get those shots with anything else then why don't these companies offer a nicer codec, considering they've cornered the market.

For film-making the quality of GoPro / etc was so awful that RED made an entire product to replace them:

https://ymcinema.com/2020/06/08/reds-baby-dragon-komodo-an-action-cinema-camera/

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, MrSMW said:

I had the first model but along with every action cam, sold it as none of them have ever really done what I wanted them to do.

This might be different however and make a good little unit to pop on the hot shoe of one of my stills cameras and capture some video…

Just ordered one and it will be here next week...

I've never had much success with this type of thing, but am hoping that on my 4th attempt...

Started with a GoPro 5 Silver. Didn't last long.

Tried the DJI Go, two of them in fact. Didn't last long either.

DJI Action? Best to date, but sold it as I wasn't using it how I'd intended, though it had some potential.

But, as above in my original response to this thread, I've decided to get one for a limited, but very specific purpose and that is as a voice activated, hot shoe mounted, back up for AF tracking sequences to my S1H.

My typical wedding day coverage is between 9-15 hours.

The ONLY times I need any form of AF tracking is; entrances, exits/confetti, waiting staff bringing out plates and the couple walking towards the camera, so about 2 minutes of 9-15 hours.

I have been using C-AF for everything and it's mostly been reliable, but not 100%.

As we all know, AF and especially tracking is the Achilles heel of L Mount video.

Well I have decided to remove it from the equation and take all uncertainty out of the equation with the following steps:

1: I'm moving my S1H back into a mostly freestanding monopod role and eliminating both IBIS and AF out of the equation as I'm going fully manual AF...other than those few moments each job where I need tracking and then I will re-engage C-AF and instruct the Action 2 mounted on the hotshoe to back it up. I'll still use the S1H sometimes handheld, but if I can, it will remain on the monopod.

The use of C-AF (S1H) and the Action 2 (hotshoe mounted) will be limited to only entrances/exits/confetti.

2: Ditched trying to make the S5 work on the gimbal. It's my third attempt with a gimbal and to be honest, I still hate it but think I can make it work. I almost sent it back 2 days ago...but I have stuck my Sony ZV1 on it, which makes for a much lighter package also and I'll only have to mix in a few seconds of footage here or there, so reckon I can live with that.

The use of this combo will be limited to tracking waiting staff, BTS other suppliers at work and a bit of stuff with the couple only.

I'm also going to use the Action 2 mounted in or on the car to add some additional material to the drone coverage of venues and local area etc. That worked really well with my first GoPro travelling around the Faroe Islands.

I think this time, the use of 'non-pro' cameras can be made to work for my purposes, mainly because they will now have a very specific and limited role to play.

But we'll see...

• 1 month later...

Update…

DJI have recently launched a super slim case that ‘solves’ the overheating issue.

Whether it will or not I shall find out soon enough and mine has not yet overheated to date.

But then it’s pretty cool this time of year.

Best thing about it is it’s free.

And the shipping is also free.

Which seems a roundabout way, but without using the actual words, that it was/is an issue.

Maybe Canon will ask DJI to make one for the R5? 😜