Jump to content

A7rii in 2021


gethin
 Share

Recommended Posts

My lovely battered d800 is near the end 😭😆

My z6 is my video shooter.  I still prefer the stills from the d800. It has better dynamic range than the z6. 

Ive been thinking about getting a second cam that can shoot 4k of some sort, but primarily for stills.  

I can get an a7rii for half the price of a d850 (and half the size and weight).  From what I've seen the raw files are similar to the d800. 

Is that a terrible idea in 2021?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've easily shot 50k images with the a7r2 and its still my favorite of all the Sony sensors, eventually I'll probably own another as a landscape/backup camera. I'd love it if they did a faster version of the 42mp sensor for the next a7IV. Even at about $900 or so used, the a7r2 is a bargain for the IQ. But if I were in your shoes, I'd probably stretch that for a used Z7 just for the easy compatibility with lenses/batteries and same colors if the budget allows.

Cheers

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, gethin said:

Is that a terrible idea in 2021?

Just as a comparison:

I regularly do Portrait-Photography with my 5D Classic from 2005 and make videos with the BMCC 2.5k from 2012. Both cameras are able to deliver stunning images/videos.

I own both a Pocket 4K and a 5D mkIII, but I don´t feel I can´t get good footage, when using the older devices. Sure, the new ones offer some nice things, but they aren´t nessesary all the time.

So I think a a7rii  form 2015 is a great camera. If you can buy one for a great price and you like the image you get, go for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

I've easily shot 50k images with the a7r2 and its still my favorite of all the Sony sensors, eventually I'll probably own another as a landscape/backup camera. I'd love it if they did a faster version of the 42mp sensor for the next a7IV. Even at about $900 or so used, the a7r2 is a bargain for the IQ. But if I were in your shoes, I'd probably stretch that for a used Z7 just for the easy compatibility with lenses/batteries and same colors if the budget allows.

Cheers

Chris

Yep I thought about that but used z7s are still about $3k in Aus, I saw a used a7rii yesterday for $1000!  

I figure I can get an autofocus lens adaptor. And still be ahead. But yes matching the colours might be interesting.  I probably should find some RAWS and footage to play with before I jump in.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, gethin said:

Ive been thinking about getting a second cam that can shoot 4k of some sort, but primarily for stills.  

Primarily for stills? Why not a Z7? Keeps you in the same ecosystem! That's the smart practical choice.

  

6 hours ago, gethin said:

I saw a used a7rii yesterday for $1000!  

Oh! That's crazy cheap. 
But then you'll have the problems of the a7 mk2 series: overheating, short battery life, etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah but if I'm Paying $3k for a z7, I may as well pay $4.5k for a z7ii 😆.

The other option is to stick to what I know and get a d810. Only 1080p, but usable 1080.  And an autofocus that works 🙂

WHat I'd really like is decent 4k60, but the z9 is going to be 10k, the A1 is the same, and I just don't know if I can go back to Canon. 🙂

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 10:53 PM, gethin said:

The other option is to stick to what I know and get a d810. Only 1080p, but usable 1080.  And an autofocus that works 🙂

 

A Nikon D750 is worth a look too! I'd even lean towards choosing that over a D810. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can't comment on Nikons but the A7rii is a pretty stunning photo camera with one of the best sensors I've ever used. I'm still stunned by the quality of the images today.

It's also a pretty decent video camera as long as you don't need high frame rates. I was using the A7rii for sports shooting and my only real complaint was the small and slow buffer, so when I'd fire off a few frames of something cool happening, the buffer would get full and basically freeze the camera for a few seconds until the buffer had cleared. For portraits and slower work where you don't need to fire off 100 full res shots in quick succession then it's great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have one, planning on selling it only because I have so many EF lenses and only are getting further into that ecosystem (being primarily an ef-mount videographer), and the AF with an adapter is getting a bit long in the tooth. I think I'll go for an R6 to get a good camera with video-capable autofocus, but that's really only because of my lens situation. The image quality of the A7R II is still amazing, almost best in class, which really says something!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 9:06 PM, gethin said:

Yep I thought about that but used z7s are still about $3k in Aus, I saw a used a7rii yesterday for $1000!  

I figure I can get an autofocus lens adaptor. And still be ahead. But yes matching the colours might be interesting.  I probably should find some RAWS and footage to play with before I jump in.   

That's a huge difference, makes the a7rII a no-brainer if its mostly for stills, the difference means more lenses LOL!

Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...