Jump to content
Mako Sports

They did it! Fuji GFX 100 first to bring pro video specs to medium format with 10bit 4K at 400Mbit, F-LOG and IBIS

Recommended Posts

Quote

The GFX100 uses oversampling with the amount of data equivalent to approx. 50.5 million pixels to render video with exceptionally high resolution.

I tried to get to this value, but didn‘t really get how they get there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, kaylee said:

Amazing! It looks like the lens runs out of resolving power way before the sensor does. It’s still incredible, but Fuji needs better glass to match this level of sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, im sure they can get even more out of the sensor with better glass (why not?). this image is SHARP at 100%, therefore, for my needs, i could easily resample it to double the resolution, and it would be totally usable. its a TON of detail 😳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DBounce said:

I’m not the official that consider it LF... it’s  Fuji that said that.

Yes I understood you. I can imagine that the logic behind saying that is that the detail is on LF levels, but then my nikon d800 is a medium format camera, neither is true.

Anyway, with a proper speedbooster and mamiya rz67 glass (which I personally love because of the smooth look it gives) would be my final destination camera wise, except the part where it only records 11bit and has no raw codec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kaylee said:

wow! this thing is really something, cant wait to see some files from it...

would u guys please explain to me, like im 4 years old, what the glass options are for this camera...?

"Well Kaylee, it's bigger than full frame so..."

im dumb

 

bump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kaylee said:

That's awesome. I can't wait for 100 MP video to be streamed over fleets of 7G directly into my VR headset so I can watch movies like this from bed.

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

Amazing! It looks like the lens runs out of resolving power way before the sensor does. It’s still incredible, but Fuji needs better glass to match this level of sensor.

True, but in real use I like the sensor to outresolve the lens, so the lens acts as an OLPF or anti aliasing filter. Optical imperfections add character, digital imperfections mess up the image. Unless you need to actually resolve 100 million individual dots in which case... wow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

That's awesome. I can't wait for 100 MP video to be streamed over fleets of 7G directly into my VR headset so I can watch movies like this from bed.

True, but in real use I like the sensor to outresolve the lens, so the lens acts as an OLPF or anti aliasing filter. Optical imperfections add character, digital imperfections mess up the image. Unless you need to actually resolve 100 million individual dots in which case... wow.

The newest Fuji lenses can resolve an 8k image... around 32MP... that falls waaaayyyy short of the 100MP that this new camera sensor resolves.  A still at 1:1 looks bad. It should look clear at 1:1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The newest Fuji lenses can resolve an 8k image... around 32MP... that falls waaaayyyy short of the 100MP that this new camera sensor resolves.  A still at 1:1 looks bad. It should look clear at 1:1. 

Ehm, I don't see the problem in that glitter women picture, I think it's perfectly sharp, look at the nose, those hairs. That's typical bayer pattern detail.

Maybe you are not used to DOF in medium format, portrait shots are more like macro shots DOF wise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Ehm, I don't see the problem in that glitter women picture, I think it's perfectly sharp, look at the nose, those hairs. That's typical bayer pattern detail.

Maybe you are not used to DOF in medium format, portrait shots are more like macro shots DOF wise.

Most won't, and if that's you, no worries. Many shoot with vintage glass and are quite happy even though most of that glass struggles to resolve even 8MP images. Let me demonstrate the problem: from the images in the sample gallery, take a look at the image of the rock climber. Adjust the image to 1:1, and look at the rock climber. I think that we can both agree the image is definitely soft. The issue really comes about when the photographer intends to crop in on an image. If this is not a concern of yours... great. You will no doubt save tons of money by using less accurate glass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rock climber picture is a little softer and has some sharpening artifacts it seems. The glitter woman looks better.

With a CFA, the sensor won't resolve 100 MP though, and lenses don't have a sharp falloff in resolving power. Saying a lens resolves x lp/mm doesn't mean it won't resolve any finer details than that. It's estimating a complex curve with a single number--and that's not even taking into account the resolution being different across the area of the image. Furthermore, resolution between two components in a system isn't a Min() function, it's multiplicative. Even if the lens is the "limiting factor" based on the lp/mm number, a higher resolution sensor will still increase the overall resolution of the system.

So yes, it's true that better lenses could increase the resolution with the same sensor, but it's also true that more MP will increase the image with the same lens.

Edit: and to be fair to the rock climbing picture, atmospheric haze definitely softens an image in those conditions, and the climber herself is moving so there's going to be some motion blur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Most won't, and if that's you, no worries. Many shoot with vintage glass and are quite happy even though most of that glass struggles to resolve even 8MP images. Let me demonstrate the problem: from the images in the sample gallery, take a look at the image of the rock climber. Adjust the image to 1:1, and look at the rock climber. I think that we can both agree the image is definitely soft. The issue really comes about when the photographer intends to crop in on an image. If this is not a concern of yours... great. You will no doubt save tons of money by using less accurate glass.

That image is soft because it's shot at iso 400 and the shadows got boosted afterwards, MR EAGLE EYES lol The nighttime landscape even has camera shake blur.

You can judge the lensharpness from the glitter photo and it's good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Nikkor 400 iso? Well it must be a mess at 800?

@KnightsFan You guys love to give a pass to Fuji... motion blur? The shutter speed is set to 1/1600 of a second. I don’t think the climber is a ninja? Atmospheric hazing? In the desert at that distance? Really? 

Or... and this might be a reach... the lens cannot resolve sharply at that resolution. Just a thought... but you are free to believe whatever you like.

It might sound like I’m bust’n balls, but I actually like this camera. However, if they are gonna raise the stakes by upping the resolution, the lenses also need to be improved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...