The Wandering DP Podcasts - worth it?

heart0less

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 11 months later...

So, it took me almost a year to grow into the decision, BUT I started to support Patrick (aka The Wandering DP) on Patreon last month and I wholeheartedly recommend doing so.

It's a great way to learn how the different shots were created, what's the idea behind them and how were they lit - spoiler: it's not really about the strength of the light, it's how you tailor it to your needs.

Every podcast / steam feels like an excerpt from "The Photographer's Eye / Mind" by Michael Freeman, except it's a video and you can follow along DP's way of thinking.

Right now it's my e-learning site of choice, lol.

On 5/7/2019 at 12:42 PM, heart0less said:

Hi there.

Does anyone have any experience / feedback regarding The Wandering DP Podcasts?

I saw some of his work and free samples of podcasts and they looked amazing and informative.

What's your take on this?

I've been listening for the past 3 years or so. Standard podcasts are great and I feel for the breadth of stuff he puts out there its more than worth paying 5 bucks or so a month. I'm not anywhere near the scale of projects Patrick works on, but his discussions on how to manage a set and breakdown shots are fascinating.

42 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I'm not anywhere near the scale of projects Patrick works on, but his discussions on how to manage a set and breakdown shots are fascinating.

Exactly, same story here.
I'm a one-man band and I doubt it'll change in the foreseeable future.

Nonetheless, I find the podcasts entertaining and educational - a win-win situation, I'd say.
( :

45 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Standard podcasts are great and I feel for the breadth of stuff he puts out there its more than worth paying 5 bucks or so a month.

Yup, couldn't agree more.

Especially now, when some YouTubers put their generic LUTs for 40$ or sometimes more.

I tried to get through an episode last night and to be honest, it gave me a head ache... which may be indicative that the 'industry' may no longer be a place for me. I mean, I get it that Wandering DP needs/ wants to put a whole lot of 'passion' into his talks, but it just seemed a little too much with the manner and type of language used to express everything. Is there anyone else who couldn't get into his talks?

On the other side, if this guy had a regular podcast, I'd be right there:

On 4/15/2020 at 10:40 AM, User said:

Is there anyone else who couldn't get into his talks?

I agree, he's super over the top and kind of annoying to listen to for more than a few episodes. For filmmaking-related podcasts, I prefer the Go Creative show and its short, really good interviews with top-level DP's and actual pros about what they're shooting. 

The T-Stop Inn is also pretty good, lots of really cool insights from legends of the industry. 

If you're more interested in the purely entrepreneurial, 'from the bootstraps-up' type of indy filmmaking that Wandering DP provides for a lot of people, then Alex Ferrarri's Indy Film Hustle is decent, although I haven't listened to a huge number of episodes, his personality can also be a little much. 

2 hours ago, Parker said:

I agree, he's super over the top and kind of annoying to listen to for more than a few episodes. For filmmaking-related podcasts, I prefer the Go Creative show and its short, really good interviews with top-level DP's and actual pros about what they're shooting. 

The T-Stop Inn is also pretty good, lots of really cool insights from legends of the industry. 

If you're more interested in the purely entrepreneurial, 'from the bootstraps-up' type of indy filmmaking that Wandering DP provides for a lot of people, then Alex Ferrarri's Indy Film Hustle is decent, although I haven't listened to a huge number of episodes, his personality can also be a little much. 

I'm able to keep my hand in close to the fire by hunting down masterclass talks (mostly from festival screenings) from folks I admire, though they are often few and far between. But I'll certainly give your links a go. Thanks Parker 😎

Although it's more about the process of making a doc films, here is a fantastic free talk by a wonderful filmmaker (and his cinematographer) who left the world a few years ago doing what he loved best:
https://americas.dafilms.com/film/8411-planete-doc-film-festival-presents-masterclass-michael-glawogger

Warning, these are Europeans (Austrians), where nothing said is "amazing" or 'awesome" and nobody 'flies in' another light. The uncomfortable comedy comes with the Polish moderator quickly arriving the losing end of his insight and intellect. Beer is drank, references to ass fucking, creative approach, etc.

16 hours ago, Parker said:

Really? I'm kind of surprised. I find Patrick to be pretty down to earth and find his own takedowns of his own 'shitty' work make him pretty likeable. Most of the time he just sounds exhausted, if he was all 'awesomes' and 'supers' I wouldn't have kept listening. 

I find a lot of other podcasts a bit light and appreciate the level of depth Patrick puts into his lighting breakdowns, although they might only be available to Patreon subscribers.

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Really? I'm kind of surprised. I find Patrick to be pretty down to earth and find his own takedowns of his own 'shitty' work make him pretty likeable. Most of the time he just sounds exhausted, if he was all 'awesomes' and 'supers' I wouldn't have kept listening. 

I find a lot of other podcasts a bit light and appreciate the level of depth Patrick puts into his lighting breakdowns, although they might only be available to Patreon subscribers.

That's what I feel, too.

Though I have to admit I'm still listening to the content from 2018, because I have lots of catching up to do - maybe the tone for most recent podcasts has changed.

7 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Maybe I need to give him another shot! 

His patreon content does sound pretty interesting

On 4/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, heart0less said:

That's what I feel, too.

Though I have to admit I'm still listening to the content from 2018, because I have lots of catching up to do - maybe the tone for most recent podcasts has changed.

I don't know if you found it, but back in early 2019 he uploaded the creative treatment that landed him his first feature film job, as well as lighting diagrams and the shot lists from the first few weeks of filming. It was pretty eye opening, very rare to see people sharing so much.