Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Random Thought: Reviewed more of my XT3 footage, I think the lens at f/2 was a tad soft (not cameras fault), but man.. that image is beautiful out of the camera. Especially when converted to the arri log from f log.

Here is the Flog > LogC sup2 LUT I made and ill post the LogC> Official Arri 709 LUT that matches too. Enjoy!

Flog-LogC_Sup2x.cube

ARRI(Official)_LogC2Video_709_adobe3d.cube

5 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

I love it. What is your grading workflow?

That YT video isn't mine, it is a Russian guy who made it with the kit lens. I said I will make one soon hopefully haha. My footage has been very impressive when colorgrading in just premiere, I cant believe how far you can push it.

I've been reading these forums for a few years now, but just recently signed up. Anyway; I own the XT3 and the Fringer adapter. It's seriously an absolutely amazing camera. The adapter has been a joy as well.

Anyone have any question or tests you would like to see? I own the Sigma 18-35, Sigma 50-100, Canon 10-18mm, and the Fuji 23mm f/2.

so i've been shotting a few things lately while i am traveling.

about the focus peaking i can say that the color you want to use is bright yellow. i barely could see the red, sometimes didn't see anything with the red selected, with yellow it is much much better.

On 12/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, Snowbro said:

Random Thought: Reviewed more of my XT3 footage, I think the lens at f/2 was a tad soft (not cameras fault), but man.. that image is beautiful out of the camera. Especially when converted to the arri log from f log.

Here is the Flog > LogC sup2 LUT I made and ill post the LogC> Official Arri 709 LUT that matches too. Enjoy!

Flog-LogC_Sup2x.cube

Just used these on a project last night, worked amazingly! Blown away. It makes an incredible platform for grading 

On 1/2/2019 at 6:21 AM, Snowbro said:

This camera is hilariously good for the price, kills my 1dx ii 4k. Just not as good of AF, use it like a MF cinecam anyway lol. I will make a video with it soon, I can't believe how good the files are from it. 

It does look good, but if it's killing your 1DXMk2, I suspect your camera is broken. Now where it does kill the 1DXMK2 is in portability, flexibility with that tilty screen... and a more modern codec etc... No doubt the Fuji can be used to create stunning images. But as many have shown... so can the 1DXMK2. For me the strengths were more about the shooting experience. The Fujis are fun to shoot. They feels retro, and that makes shooting with them a bit more special. They have a certain charm. But at this point, I don't really think any of the top contenders are "killing" their competitors. Everything is so good, that it is truly amazing that just anybody can go out and purchase them. I've used all the latest, with the exception of the Canon EOS R, which arrives tomorrow. I was not going to buy the R, but I really what to see how it fits in with my Canon C200. I also suspect its gotten in vogue to trash Canon. While I do sort of miss the Fuji. And I really miss the MK lenses...  (they where so very good). Looking back at the footage, it had mojo. But, I just had so many issues with my two bodies to make them keepers. 

I will revisit the Fuji perhaps when their new medium format camera is released... or the XH2. But I will only buy first batch if they are made in Japan. 

It kills the 1dx ii footage in dynamic range and you can actually do a professional grade without the footage falling apart. 1dx ii lacks log & 10 bit color. I under expose quite a bit with the 1dx to protect highlights, that works most of the time, but there are many situations where it just cant handle it & you get that "DSLR look". I shoot a lot of outdoor/mountain stuff, it is nice to be able to reduce certain colors saturations & luminosity without blocking. The "log alternative" profiles have been proven to not actually improve DR, they infact are just destructive to the IQ. For example: I shot a bright morning scene with a few different ones & it caused uncorrectable banding in the highlights. If the 1dx had even just a true log profile, I would keep it forever.

That being said, I noticed the flog being really flat compared to clog for example, not sure if I like it on skin. Using the 709 luts fuji has on their site, I think women with makeup on can look a little cartoonish if you dont add in a bunch of contrast. I would like a slightly less flat log profile sometimes. The eterna lut is decent, but I think it has the tendency to crush blacks a bit & push whites. I prefer manually grading the log or converting to the arri. 

Oh yeah; manually set your wb indoors with this camera. It does the sony thing where it will jump to extreme yellow once in awhile. At least you can correct it with the 10 bit though ?

29 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

It kills the 1dx ii footage in dynamic range and you can actually do a professional grade without the footage falling apart. 1dx ii lacks log & 10 bit color. I under expose quite a bit with the 1dx to protect highlights, that works most of the time, but there are many situations where it just cant handle it & you get that "DSLR look". I shoot a lot of outdoor/mountain stuff, it is nice to be able to reduce certain colors saturations & luminosity without blocking. The "log alternative" profiles have been proven to not actually improve DR, they infact are just destructive to the IQ. For example: I shot a bright morning scene with a few different ones & it caused uncorrectable banding in the highlights. If the 1dx had even just a true log profile, I would keep it forever.

That being said, I noticed the flog being really flat compared to clog for example, not sure if I like it on skin. Using the 709 luts fuji has on their site, I think women with makeup on can look a little cartoonish if you dont add in a bunch of contrast. I would like a slightly less flat log profile sometimes. The eterna lut is decent, but I think it has the tendency to crush blacks a bit & push whites. I prefer manually grading the log or converting to the arri. 

Oh yeah; manually set your wb indoors with this camera. It does the sony thing where it will jump to extreme yellow once in awhile. At least you can correct it with the 10 bit though ?

That was my issue a few pages back, the Fuji LUTS almost think that the Log is flatter than it is. Those new Arri Luts are king currently tho. 

Been making 3 nodes with it. 1. Flog to LogC - 2. (corrections) 3. LogC to 709. Amazing results.

2 minutes ago, DanielVranic said:

That was my issue a few pages back, the Fuji LUTS almost think that the Log is flatter than it is. Those new Arri Luts are king currently tho. 

Been making 3 nodes with it. 1. Flog to LogC - 2. (corrections) 3. LogC to 709. Amazing results.

Yeah, it took me a bunch of trial & error to get it to match up right, but it does make a great starting point to grade. The blacks dont look as stressed when raising them, compared to eterna. It must be their flog crushing them a bit. 

2 hours ago, Snowbro said:

I never do extreme grades with the 1DXMK2. I tend to bake in the colors and perform only minor tweaks in post. If you do that you will be surprised at how good the footage can be. I agree that the Fuji is more flexible in post. The codec is better, and 10 Bit is more data. 

It depends on how much you need to manipulate the footage. I think if you can get close in camera you are better off. 

That said they are both great. 

On 12/29/2018 at 1:08 AM, Snowbro said:

Flog-LogC_Sup2x.cube

how do you install luts on the xt3 ?

using them keeps the flog recording right ?

It matches the feel I want with the mavic 2 pro. Quick sample of what I have been messing around with, haven't done too much adjusting yet. 2 stills from my timeline when I was just doing a quick test. Xt3 clip was directly into the sun & subject moving at 24p so not as sharp as it can be (flog > logc > arri709). Mavic 2 pro clip at 1600ft dlog > 709 24p. 

I am trying to decide if I should keep shooting in 4096 x 2160 on the fuji, when I am integrating mavic 2 pro footage. I have to crop in 6.7% on the mavic footage to a 4096 x 1716 timeline. I lose 25% resolution conforming the fuji cinema 4k to 3840 x 1600. Makes most sense to film both at 3840 x 2160 and conform to 3840 x 1620 since the framing is the same on the mavic regardless, just no loss of 6.7% resolution. I am thinking about using a 2:1 to retain more of the vertical resolution I need with the drone shots. Not sure yet what aspect ratio I will use, I am stuck with a cinema 4k on the 1DX, but some options here. 

Xt3MavicTimeline.thumb.jpg.75297e47cdc56bcebcb20edd69f1880b.jpg

MavicTest.thumb.jpg.752f913e94d71d58c37e13fba3c5e270.jpg

Mavic2uncropUHDtimeline.thumb.jpg.0eae97c375e4b292586c1e76ea73ae2e.jpg

3 minutes ago, colepat said:

@Snowbro That looks stunning. Can't wait to see the final piece. That Arri conversion really look beautiful. 

Thanks, I was just testing settings. I should have edited everything while I had my winter break for 2 weeks haha. It's been around 0 degrees fahrenheit for the last few weeks, so I haven't flown the drone, I need one more shot ?