Is anyone seriously using their smartphone for video?

kye

3 hours ago, kye said:

If they do go triple-camera, let's hope it's not just 1x, 2x and 3x like those articles say.  28 and 56mm is a reasonable range, but adding an 84 when you already have a 56 doesn't really add as much as a 100+ would.  I guess the problem is having stabilisation worthy of such a long focal length on a very small device prone to handshake.

As I've said in previous posts, 28mm is general wide, 56-80mm is portrait territory and 100 and up are sports.  Having two lenses for portraits and none for sports isn't a good 'set'.

Maybe might go for a 28mm + 56mm plus a 28mm B&W camera to help improve low light.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Maybe might go for a 28mm + 56mm plus a 28mm B&W camera to help improve low light.

Yeah, that's another direction that smartphones could do with a boost in.

Maybe the smartphone of the future will have 10 cameras...  a colour / B&W pairing for  four focal lengths (28mm, 56mm, 84mm, 102mm) and on the front a normal camera plus a depth camera for Face ID.

And then 3D will hit!!  18 cameras and counting!!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, kye said:

Maybe the smartphone of the future will have 10 cameras...  a colour / B&W pairing for  four focal lengths (28mm, 56mm, 84mm, 102mm) and on the front a normal camera plus a depth camera for Face ID.

It looks like LG may have looked at Samsung's 3 camera offering and said "Hold my beer"...

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/6/26/17506434/lg-v40-phone-five-cameras-report-rumor

• 3 weeks later...

Why, yes, some of them are pretty good (the above example is nice). 

I sometimes do, when I don't have anything nearby, and I just HAVE to shoot the moment. No big deal, why hard feelings? Nobody says it's going to be professional, but hey, sometimes it's not quality that counts.

Yeah I would be really interested. I had one for my iPhone 6s Plus. Sold it on here. But I have been thinking of getting another one for My iPhone X.

So the DJI Gimbal will balance all of it, or does it have a counter balance weight you have to screw on?

On 7/15/2018 at 9:36 PM, DBounce said:

In response to the thread title... apparently, yes!

That video is wonderful..  any camera in the hands of a skilled operator is a good camera.  This is precisely my problem - good camera unskilled operator lol ???

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

So the DJI Gimbal will balance all of it, or does it have a counter balance weight you have to screw on?

I see the Moment guys always using counterweights and that anamorphic adapter looks pretty sizeable, so my guess would be yes to counterweights.  Even if it was powerful enough, you'd save a lot of battery life by having the weight relatively balanced to begin with, although the battery life on these things is pretty amazing now.

59 minutes ago, kye said:

I see the Moment guys always using counterweights and that anamorphic adapter looks pretty sizeable, so my guess would be yes to counterweights. 

Well to be fair, the anamorphic adapter also has the 52mm filter adapter fitted, and one or two filters attached... which is how I will shoot in the daytime. 

My Osmo batteries are charging so I haven’t actually turned it on. There is a counterweight attached. It feels like it’s balanced perfectly with the counterweight, although it is top heavy. It’s about equivalent to the Moment lenses that I also purchased. Though my girlfriend gets more use out of the Moment lenses. She loves them and takes them everywhere.