Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Grégory LEROY

Ultra wide angle for GH5: native or adapted?

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Grégory LEROY said:

So if I understand, your purposes are mainly photography, but for video, forget it.

I'm travelling for an indefinite period of time (at least a year), so I only carry the GH5, three lenses, and a microphone. So weight, volume, weather sealing, and the ability to easily attach and remove filters were the things that mattered the most to me. But I am doing video about 90% of the time.

But like I say, if you're manually focusing anyway and don't mind a bit of extra weight, I would use something that isn't fly by wire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was analysing the Exif of my action video, I'm always shooting at 20mm (35mm equi) or 30mm (35mm equi) when there's some serious gun action (to shoot further away).

I would need a 10mm lens  for 4/3 system. What's is surprising  is that only Sayang/Rokinon propose such a focal but we can’t attach any filters which is big problem to protect the lens.

It's very surprising that Panasonic neither Olympus propose any 10mm prime. It's so useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Grégory LEROY said:

I was analysing the Exif of my action video, I'm always shooting at 20mm (35mm equi) or 30mm (35mm equi) when there's some serious gun action (to shoot further away).

I would need a 10mm lens  for 4/3 system. What's is surprising  is that only Sayang/Rokinon propose such a focal but we can’t attach any filters which is big problem to protect the lens.

It's very surprising that Panasonic neither Olympus propose any 10mm prime. It's so useful.

21mm Used to be a very popular wide angle lens Years ago for photography. About as wide as you dare go then because there was no in camera corrections like now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

21mm Used to be a very popular wide angle lens Years ago for photography. About as wide as you dare go then because there was no in camera corrections like now.

I don't think it is because they couldn't go wider readily but it would have been a lot more difficult and a lot more expensive.

Nikon have had a rectilinear 13mm FF lens since 1976 but they are rare and cost a mint now.

It is easier and cheaper to make a lens with more distortion now and correct it in camera I think.

Another reason I love FF, just much more choice for wide angles (you can get those cheap old 19-35 Soligor's and similar for very little money and many variants of 16/17/20-35/50 type lenses).

One lens I have always wanted to try on M43 is the Canon 10-18 STM (I would use it on a Kipon non focal reducer smart adapter).

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that Canon actually performs rather well, doesn't it. Atleast in terms of detail/sharpness... might not have given it enough thought over the years, mainly because of that mount. But like you say, there are ways. Or natively again, that 9-18mm Olympus.

Voigtländer seems to have a nice look to it, but not everybody is a fan of the quality. Kowa has an 8mm. And SLR Magic has a 10mm as well of course:

https://www.eoshd.com/2015/01/slr-magic-10mm-t2-1-review/

For something between your both ends, 12mm is available from just about everyone. A lot of choice there, incl. Veydra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, that Canon actually performs rather well, doesn't it. Atleast in terms of detail/sharpness... might not have given it enough thought over the years, mainly because of that mount. But like you say, there are ways. Or natively again, that 9-18mm Olympus.

Voigtländer seems to have a nice look to it, but not everybody is a fan of the quality. Kowa has an 8mm. And SLR Magic has a 10mm as well of course:

https://www.eoshd.com/2015/01/slr-magic-10mm-t2-1-review/

For something between your both ends, 12mm is available from just about everyone. A lot of choice there, incl. Veydra.

this SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 10mm T2.1  seems very interesting but so expensive in Poland at more than 1000 EUR! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Grégory LEROY said:

this SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 10mm T2.1  seems very interesting but so expensive in Poland at more than 1000 EUR! 

Have a look at the 2nd hand market. Overseas it's much cheaper. I once bought the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 for 99 bucks from B&H (so, US to Europe), they had re-labelled it in Germany and came to my doorstep free of additional fees. Of course, one might not always be lucky, but even through the official procedures that SLR Magic might still be cheaper with all charges. There it's 539 USD. So ~ 440 EUR. Shipping. Not sure, 30 bucks perhaps. So 25 EUR. Total value taxed is 465 EUR. Say import duties are 4.2% customs duties (I believe for optical equipment) ~ 20 EUR and 23% VAT ~ 110... handling fee about 15 more. You've got it for about 610,- EUR or 2545 PLN.

- Adorama has a bundle up for sale with their vND: https://www.adorama.com/slr1021mfnd2.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

Have a look at the 2nd hand market. Overseas it's much cheaper. I once bought the Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 for 99 bucks from B&H (so, US to Europe), they had re-labelled it in Germany and came to my doorstep free of additional fees. Of course, one might not always be lucky, but even through the official procedures that SLR Magic might still be cheaper with all charges. There it's 539 USD. So ~ 440 EUR. Shipping. Not sure, 30 bucks perhaps. So 25 EUR. Total value taxed is 465 EUR. Say import duties are 4.2% customs duties (I believe for optical equipment) ~ 20 EUR and 23% VAT ~ 110... handling fee about 15 more. You've got it for about 610,- EUR or 2545 PLN.

- Adorama has a bundle up for sale with their vND: https://www.adorama.com/slr1021mfnd2.html

I tend to avoid complicate importation. I had bad stories importing watches from the US. 

Those Micro 4/3 wide primes are so expensive, I'm really thinking about buying a tokina 11-20mm, it seems ok:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2018 at 2:59 AM, Grégory LEROY said:

Do you know if the tokina vignet a lot with GH5 and speedbooster XL?

Remember that at around 16mm (or 14ish?) you can even use the Tokina lens on a FF camera! Thus is certain to cover at the same focal length a GH5 with a focal reducer. 

 

17 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Back then the budget UW lens for m43 is Panasonic 14mm 2.5 with Sony VCL-ECU1, that will give you 21mm focal length with f2.5 to boot. 

That is exactly what I use on my BMPCC for vlogging!

 

16 hours ago, Grégory LEROY said:

don't know if it's a good idea to stack adapters..

You're not stacking any adapters at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Remember that at around 16mm (or 14ish?) you can even use the Tokina lens on a FF camera! Thus is certain to cover at the same focal length a GH5 with a focal reducer. 

 

That is exactly what I use on my BMPCC for vlogging!

 

You're not stacking any adapters at all.

 

- it is not vignetting after 13mm according users (XL+ tokina)

- I f I understand, you need Sony to M43 adapter + this sony focal reducer adapter = stacking, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grégory LEROY said:

[..]

- I f I understand, you need Sony to M43 adapter + this sony focal reducer adapter = stacking, isn't it?

Seems like it's a front element adapter originally intended for Sony E-mount lenses. But since they have the same filter size, you can throw one in front of the 14mm. There's a lot of teleconverters, this just happens to works the other way around, it widens your field of view. Never heard of this possibility before it got mentioned here, pretty sweet little set-up. There's no stacking of adapters as it's just the one front element, although, I am of the mindset that less optical attachments are better than more, but maybe this one is really good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Your best bet is the Laowa with ETC. it is fast, compact and reasonably priced. A Tokina + speedbooster will not only be a much more expensive proposition, it will also be much heavier and bulkier and perhaps not as sharp as the Laowa.

Your proposition make a lot of  sens if my favourite focal were 15mm (FF equiv), it is also probably sharper. But a 10mm prime would make much more sens to me. It' seems weird to me to shoot 90% of the time ETC...but I agree a small prime is more elegant, it makes more sens. No small 10mm on the market unfortunately.

In the other hand, I have 5 nikkor ais, + voigtlander nikon mount, I could also use them with the speedbootser + I could use the tokina with my Nikon camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tokina 11-16 gets you down to 7.4 mm at the wide end with a Nikon to M4/3 XL Speedbooster for around  399....the Speedbooster is of course extra, but considering crop factor and in the case of the XL adding 11/3 stops of extra speed to every lens you own in that mount, it is an incredible bargain....7.4 mm at f1.8 is Sigma speed!...I briefly considered the 8-18 Leica, bit as my 12-60 already gets me so wide, and as movement along the edges of the frame  gets weird when you pan on a lens  below 10 mm wide, I opted for saving the $1,100...the combination works really well for that rare occasion anyone would go that wide!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

The Tokina 11-16 gets you down to 7.4 mm at the wide end with a Nikon to M4/3 XL Speedbooster for around  399....the Speedbooster is of course extra, but considering crop factor and in the case of the XL adding 11/3 stops of extra speed to every lens you own in that mount, it is an incredible bargain....7.4 mm at f1.8 is Sigma speed!...I briefly considered the 8-18 Leica, bit as my 12-60 already gets me so wide, and as movement along the edges of the frame  gets weird when you pan on a lens  below 10 mm wide, I opted for saving the $1,100...the combination works really well for that rare occasion anyone would go that wide!

Thanks for your feedback. What do you mean by "bit" ("but" right? I 'm asking caus Im not goof at English)?

Are you activating the GH5 sensor stabilization when you use the tokina or is it better to desactivate it? More generally with 28mm to 58mm adapted prime lens with XL, can you use the image stabilizer effectively?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...