The simple thing the GH5 does not seem to achieve: the magic of the GH2

PannySVHS

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm not sure where all this blind hatred for the GH5 is coming from (to be clear, I'm not accusing PannySVHS of being a hater)

:) Jon, my friend, I know you ain´t accusing me. So don´t worry. All great.

Like I said in my original post and after, different kind of videoshooters using GH5 mainly, compared to GH2 users from back then. Besides,I have been praising the GH5, even for its 8bit 709 HD mode over and over again. I shot my shortfilm with the GH5 in 8bit HD last summer. Still, I find pure cinematic vignettes by searching for the older cams, showcases of great usuage of filmic grammar.

I wanted to share that findings and also have a beautiful discussion going on. I think I achieved both goals well enough.

By the way, the guess the camera game: It is a GH3. Jon was right. I assume, not many have watched it entirely. It has some awesome photographic quality to it, texture, composition, color palette and all. 

My favorite GH5 entry besides Luk Neumann awesome lauch film is this one. Fresh, kinetic/cinemato-graphic, pleasing and satisfying montage of things to come, no bloating placeholders but a finished little jewel of visual experience! Love it!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I own both the GH5 and GH2...the GH2 is, even today, a fantastic image producer...but it's not remotely in the league of the GH5....the GH5 is a professional tool and is probably used more as such, than by hobbyists....as for the Vimeo or YouTube lack of GH5 footage...our very own Jonpais has posted clips of the GH5 that are amazing in every way...if someone needs more "proof" of what the GH5 can do, probably not the camera for them...and lastly, I would venture that probably the vast amount of camera posts on YouTube and Vimeo are done by hobbyists, as they are free publishing media outlets...professionals have their work on a reel, and usually link it to someone they are interested in working with. (I could be dating myself badly here, as I don't even have a website) all the same...I never post publicly....interpret that as you wish....it matters little to me....as does the camera I use for that matter...I only care about the results I get in my work....period....again...I know this is off topic...I urge anyone in doubt of the GH5's capability to view Jon's work with it!

@Fritz Pierre  , I think you have posted some of your work here with the G6 haven´t you. Graded G6 video is still some of my favorite out of the gx80, g6 and gh5 material that I have shot.  Interesting though, the super high resolving HD mode of the GH5 in Natural profile has more aliasing than G6 with both sharpness at -5. GH1,2,3,4,5 all have a different look to them if shot at the same  or equivalent profile and settings. All of them appealing in their own way. I would love to see a sample of your GH5 pieces if you are allowed to share with us.

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

@mercer But not every single person here does agree....

Anyhow, if you’ve got time, take any of the GH2 videos that’ve  been posted here - could you cite a few of the limitations that were imposed on the filmmaker by the camera, how they overcame them, and how their solution resulted in a great video? 

Idk, I’m pretty sure every person has stated that the GH5 is a better camera... hell... it’s not even the point of the discussion.

And no, obviously I don’t have the time, or the inclination to do that, I’m in the middle of doing final polishes on 3 screenplays before I send them out into the world at the end of the month.

Idk, maybe @IronFilm is right. Those guys who started with the GH2 in the golden age of DSLR filmmaking have moved onto better cameras and although the GH5 is an amazing camera and capable of way more than the GH2 could do, those really talented operators are operating much higher end equipment and the next generation of filmmakers will now sow their oats with the GH5.

But just to be clear, as not to offend you... the GH5 is the best filmmaking tool on the market and anyone who doesn’t use it to shoot any and every video project is a moron. And no camera before it, and since it, is worth discussing or admiring the great work that was/is produced with it.

?

So the GH5 is a great camera and is capable of great imagery etc etc etc but it is usd $2000 for body only while the GH2 was $900 for body only.  I’d say the BMPCC is the modern successor of the GH2 for beginning filmmakers not the GH5. 

With the GH5A all the features are nice of course but they have the risk of encouraging ‘lazy’ shooting such as relying on IBIS and shooting handheld when a locked off shot might be better or using slow-mo for everything rather than learning how to use 24p to the max before adding in other frame rates. If you’re a seasoned pro then the features are great to speed up your production but for the ‘artistic’ non camera tech filmmaker, I’m not sure. In some ways the GH2 is like shooting stills with one focal length for a year and perhaps encouraged mastering the basics before being flooded by all the bells and whistles.

Hey cats! It´s been a maginificient bunch of years, maybe eight or so, of the wizardry of DSLR/M image crafters and creative cinematography as part of true and truthful arts, of what is accomplishable through an image rather than by putting and shoving and screaming and FXing and bloatingly slomoing into peoples faces.

Good enough until the end of times and plenty to research for, to learn from and to build new filmic work upon. One of the search terms is.. GH2. That´s what the magic of the GH2 and a Canon 550D still is. Past of tech but nevertheless a  basement for an aesthetic future. In spirit and magic GH5 has not become a successor of the GH2 yet. Eoshd search and Vimeo search are our friends. Research time, creation time! Thanks to the magic of the GH2 :) I throw some magical digitized S16 Kodak stock into the mix for viewing pleasure. Wish you all a beautiful Sunday evening!

@pannysvhs

That is some really good stuff. Not too big of fan on the first half but the second half well Wow it got great! The last part of it remained me of Grapes of Wrath for some reason. Like the Dust Bowl, The Great Depression Era, even the music fit it to a tee.

But we thought s16 film was the best thing since sliced bread, but in reality it was pretty damn Gnarly, Real Gnarly. But her face, skin in the later part was dead on. Man great stuff.

@webrunner5, yeah,  it has a really great feel to it. Gnarly, so? Look at the bricks in the background my friend. I would call that a true resolution feat! Remember, original footage would have the vertical height of a 2K scan, which it was digitized with. I really love that piece too, big time. Grapes of Wrath is a great description of the mood. Gonna watch it again now:) Good night :)

7 hours ago, mercer said:

Idk, maybe @IronFilm is right. Those guys who started with the GH2 in the golden age of DSLR filmmaking have moved onto better cameras and although the GH5 is an amazing camera and capable of way more than the GH2 could do, those really talented operators are operating much higher end equipment and the next generation of filmmakers will now sow their oats with the GH5.

At the start of the HDSLR Revolution you had people at all levels giving DSLRs (and mirrorless) a go, from newbies, to hardcore amateurs, to long time experienced professional veterans, and everything in between!  Because it was this exciting new thing, and there were not many other options which had these kinds of capabilities for that price bracket. 

But I'd say today that same pool of people are spread out over a much wider range cameras. 

7 hours ago, mercer said:

But just to be clear, as not to offend you... the GH5 is the best filmmaking tool on the market and anyone who doesn’t use it to shoot any and every video project is a moron. And no camera before it, and since it, is worth discussing or admiring the great work that was/is produced with it.

Exactly ;-)

6 hours ago, mat33 said:

So the GH5 is a great camera and is capable of great imagery etc etc etc but it is usd $2000 for body only while the GH2 was $900 for body only.

INFLATION!

If you think of it in terms of bitcoin, then the price has gone down! ;-)

55 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@IronFilm You beat me to it. ?

Even factoring in accessories like gimbals to make up for the lack of IBIS and an inexpensive monitor with zebras and peaking for critical focus, the real cost of owning a GH2 actually rises quite rapidly. 

Well the Movi M10 wasn’t released until 2013 so the poor old GH2 filmmakers had to somehow make do without any stabilisation ?

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Even factoring in accessories like gimbals to make up for the lack of IBIS and an inexpensive monitor with zebras and peaking for critical focus, the real cost of owning a GH2 actually rises quite rapidly. 

Radical thought: shoot without it! :-o

Often have shot without focus peaking or zebras. 

Although once you have experienced luxuries like focus peaking or waveforms it is quite hard to go back :-/