Jump to content

GH5 to Alexa Conversion


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sure; it depends on what you'd like. Fuji and BMD have very good, usable color. I personally will use P4K with GH5; I hope to have EC to do a production this summer. 8 bit is tricky; I'd prefer t

Emotive Color Version 3 Core LogC Details - Rewrote engine to work at 65x65x65, main files are now at eight times resolution (supporting files processed at that resolution) - Fine tuned mu

"GH5 V-Log and Hybid Log-Gamma are transformed to precisely match the color science of the Alexa, without compromise." "The GH Alex conversion completely transforms the GH5 image, addressing ever

Posted Images

Very nice! Thanks for the info.

So could you elaborate on what the hue pass through setup? What is exactly is hur distortion? I think i have an idea, but was hoping you could explain. Also i notice you give several suggested methods of altering luma - but this hue pss through is your preferred method?

 

thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JeremyDulac said:

Very nice! Thanks for the info.

So could you elaborate on what the hue pass through setup? What is exactly is hur distortion? I think i have an idea, but was hoping you could explain. Also i notice you give several suggested methods of altering luma - but this hue pss through is your preferred method?

thanks!

It is my favorite method, because the Resolve luma curve is precise, and direct for luma placement. And for a neutral full saturation style, it used to just be the conversion on one node, and a luma curve on the next. Thanks to David L'Abbée, I discovered that it distorts hue. This means that (for example) a given red twists toward green as it gets brighter; and the other hues (MBCGY) twist away from where they should be with brightness change (contorting the color space). Ideally the curve should be coded to 'build-in' this hue pass, though we can do it manually

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Sage said:

It is my favorite method, because the Resolve luma curve is precise, and direct for luma placement. And for a neutral full saturation style, it used to just be the conversion on one node, and a luma curve on the next. Thanks to David L'Abbée, I discovered that it distorts hue. This means that (for example) a given red twists toward green as it gets brighter; and the other hues (MBCGY) twist away from where they should be with brightness change (contorting the color space). Ideally the curve should be coded to 'build-in' this hue pass, though we can do it manually

Ahhh very interesting. Many thanks for all your work, as usual!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, deezid said:

It seems like the Hue distortion issue is fixed in DR15.
At least I can't reproduce the issue here.

If I use the Hue bypass via layer mixer or not - there's 0 difference in either Waveform, Parade nor Vectorscope

That's fantastic news! Case study in why updates are vital*

I'll be testing at work tomorrow

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sage said:

That's fantastic news! Case study in why updates are vital*

I'll be testing at work tomorrow

Nvm, reproduced the issue by preparing two different versions of the grade - one with bypass, one without and it's easily visible going back and forth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

@Sage, just installed your new Verde version and about to have a play. 

I'm considering the EVA1, do you think you'd provide a profile for this? 

I know of at least one (likely more) who is using it with the EVA1. It is VLog, so there is a great degree of similarity between them at the core. I extended the conversion to continue for those higher stops that don't exist on the GH5. Ideally, I 'd like to measure the EVA someday, if I could get ahold of one and have time to do it

Let me know how you like Verde!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...