Band OK Go are forcing YouTube to use higher bitrates.

Anaconda_

Ok Go are perhaps more famous for their incredibly creative music videos than they are their music - but that's besides the point.

In the description for their latest single, they note :

"Your viewing experience will look significantly better if you manually set your YouTube resolution settings to 1440p or 2160p (for desktop, click the gear icon in the lower right). Just leaving it on “Auto HD” results in some pretty intense distortion during a few sections, because when the the colors and patterns get crazy, there’s actually just too much information flying by for YouTube’s normal HD compression. We broke the matrix. The good people of YouTube have been working with us to solve this (it’s a bit rate limitation issue) over the last 24 hours, but there’s no quick fix."

You can read more about the issues here: https://www.buzz.ie/music/ok-go-back-absolutely-insane-video-broken-youtube-263041

Do you think YouTube will up their bitrate limitation for everyone's uploads, or will they do it for this video only?

And check out the video here:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 28/11/2017 at 9:41 AM, JurijTurnsek said:

YouTube compression has been getting out of hand recently. Don't what else to call it, but I notice a lot of "ghosting" artifacts - residue jpeg blotches where movement was rendered between full frames.

Is YouTube encoding all uploads with vp9 now? (Their mp4 bitrate is really horrible.) Haven't checked in while.

When the Internet is working properly here, I’m pretty satisfied with how my videos look online. But since I don’t use Vimeo, I think I’m going to be offering downloadable versions of all my videos, like I did recently. It seems to have gotten a pretty good response. I’ll probably use either We Tranfer or Drop Box, but there are loads of free file sharing options for those who really care about quality. 

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Pros accounts like GoPro get good bitrates, most of us don’t. You have to be selected by YouTube for that and can’t do anything about it.. that sucks. 

i kno so stupid. why not offer $1.99 a month for better streaming? theyd make a ton of money

@kaylee Internet service providers will be able to create fast lanes and slow lanes. They can't do that now under regulations that were passed under Obama. Service providers like Netflix could be charged more if they want customers to have fast access to their platform if current laws are repealed. It's the huge conglomerates that are in favor of destroying net neutrality. Independent media will suffer. Small content creators will be hurt. You and I will be paying more. It's an enormous handout to the rich and the people who control the big corporations.