A better way to grade Ursa Mini CinemaDNGs

Juan Melara

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks Juan for this great tutorial! seems to works nicely on BMPCC raw footage too.

18 hours ago, mercer said:

That looks great Juan. Will this work with CDNGs made from MLVs from the 5D3? I have found that most LogC workflows look beautiful with ML Raw.

I don't have a 5D3 but have done a quick test on some MLV files from my Canon 50D and it's looking good to me, see image below. I'll post a video if I get a chance:

image.thumb.png.8916f01139a9bc41e0aeb175bfc6cc3c.png

1 hour ago, Alpicat said:

Thanks Juan for this great tutorial! seems to works nicely on BMPCC raw footage too.

I don't have a 5D3 but have done a quick test on some MLV files from my Canon 50D and it's looking good to me, see image below. I'll post a video if I get a chance:

image.thumb.png.8916f01139a9bc41e0aeb175bfc6cc3c.png

Thanks Alpicat... that looks real nice. I don’t know Resolve very well, but I may start to. Btw, I loved the 50D... it led me to sell all my other cameras and buy a 5D3.

I tested this method on some footage I shot the other day on the 5D3. It's probably not the most optimal footage for it, but there is some high DR that was preserved fairly well... better than my previous attempt with the footage. I used Juan's method through the first stage of Rec709/Linear to Linear/LogC, then I exported the ProRes and did a basic color correction/grade in FCPX with Colorista IV and the Color Board...

Whoops, image didn’t load... try again...

9416153B-79FD-4B55-B579-468E5D3B660B.jpeg

On 21/11/2017 at 11:13 PM, mercer said:

Thanks Alpicat... that looks real nice. I don’t know Resolve very well, but I may start to. Btw, I loved the 50D... it led me to sell all my other cameras and buy a 5D3.

Cheers Mercer, your film project looks great too!

On 23/11/2017 at 10:36 PM, Juan Melara said:

Looks good Alpicat. Very filmic.

Thanks Juan, for that shot I used a schneider cinelux anamorphic with the rectilux HCDNA, which pairs nicely with the 50D. I've posted a quick video test using your grading method (this time with EOS-M footage), I put it on the magic lantern thread as it's probably more relevant there, here's the link:  

• 2 weeks later...

So I was messing around with this linear idea and I remembered that @hyalinejim sent me a similar suggestion that he set up in the settings. Unfortunately, one of the options I couldn’t find on my version of Resolve... I think I’m using 12. Anyway there’s a screenshot of his settings at the bottom of this post in case it’s helpful to @Juan Melara or someone else...

It seems similar in concept but I am barely a layman at this kind of stuff. Since I can’t seem to figure out how to set up hyalinejim’s approach in the settings, I used Juan’s approach on another of my silhouette shots...

815E594F-482A-4A1A-A66F-6B911036B003.jpeg

And to be clear that’s a CDNG created from a 5D3 ML Raw clip.  And here is a screenshot that hyalinejim supplied to me for an Arri LogC conversion using linear.

767893CB-1DC2-4A23-B5D5-42A5A1C597DF.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...