My Thoughts Canon 1DXMK2 vs Panasonic Lumix GH5

DBounce

@PannySVHS Thanks! I've since rearranged the HDMI ribbon so it's not so messy, they didn't have a shorter one at the shop here. The clamp that comes with the cage is outstanding, but the connectors fit very snuggly and won't just fall out or anything like with the first cable I'd purchased. So yeah, with the clamp I don't see the connection coming loose unless you really tugged the cable hard. I got the 5" Video Assist thinking it would have all the features they added to the 4K model over the summer, but I was mistaken: still just zebras and peaking. What I like the most is that you can add LUTs to the monitor, so of course, I installed the Leeming LUT for Cinelike D. I only just got an SD card yesterday, and I haven't had a chance to view the footage on the computer yet. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
15 hours ago, jonpais said:

Even with the compact Olympus 75mm f/1.8, my Lumix G85 kitted out with a Tuba camera cage, BMD Video Assist and Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro, the weight is approaching 6 pounds (2.678 gr). Stuff adds up quickly. ?

IMG_0280.JPG

I particularly like how you've managed to connect an HDMI plug to what looks like some super 8 there.

Its one way of getting the film look I suppose ;)

If you want something a bit more flexible (in both senses of the word) I was looking at the coiled HDMI cables from Atomos for the Ninja Inferno and having palpitations at how much they wanted for them but found an off brand one at a much better price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Definition-Female-Adapter-Digital-Reflex-Stretched/dp/B0713XMLPN/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500136856&sr=1-1&keywords=High+Definition+HDMI+Male+to+HDMI%2FMicro%2FMini+HDMI+Male+and+HDMI+Male+to+HDMI+Female+Spring+Cable+Adapter+use+for+Canon%2FNikon+Digital+Single+Lens+Reflex-Stretched+length+50cm+to+2m+(HDMI+Male+to+micro+HDMI+Male)

16 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I particularly like how you've managed to connect an HDMI plug to what looks like some super 8 there.

Its one way of getting the film look I suppose ;)

If you want something a bit more flexible (in both senses of the word) I was looking at the coiled HDMI cables from Atomos for the Ninja Inferno and having palpitations at how much they wanted for them but found an off brand one at a much better price

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Definition-Female-Adapter-Digital-Reflex-Stretched/dp/B0713XMLPN/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500136856&sr=1-1&keywords=High+Definition+HDMI+Male+to+HDMI%2FMicro%2FMini+HDMI+Male+and+HDMI+Male+to+HDMI+Female+Spring+Cable+Adapter+use+for+Canon%2FNikon+Digital+Single+Lens+Reflex-Stretched+length+50cm+to+2m+(HDMI+Male+to+micro+HDMI+Male)

I'll be sure to let you know how my cable holds up. Slim and flexible is the way to go for sure. The one thing we can't tell from pictures though is how snugly the connectors fit. My last cable was just a little too loose at the HDMI out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking fantastic. I don´t mean to come across like a smartass: We will have to wait and see. Seriously there has not been anything of that caliber shot with a GH5 and then posted on Eoshd yet. As people on Eoshd like to say: footage looks thick.:) Thanks for showing.

I don't think that the above video can be easily made with a GH5, at least not with out-of-the-cam colors. Also, the video has a number of very shallow DoF shots that theoretically could be done on a GH5 with an f0.95 lens - but there are, to my knowledge, no f0.95 MFT lenses which are that sharp at fully open aperture. The video has a very pronounced 'professional photography Canon' look. The postproduction work required to achieve similar results from (VLog) GH5 recordings might be more expensive than the camera price difference.

@tihon84 Something about the edit in that 1DXII video reminded me of this GH3 video that went viral a few years ago. It's a 2 generation old 1080p cam but still looks phenomenal:

The colors are WAY different and it's not even 4K... I'm just posting because ultimately the shot selection and editing, grading etc. have way more effect than deciding between a canon and panasonic. Having said that... those canon colors are sexy AF straight out of the camera.

2 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Give Germain Lalot a GH5 and a compelling subject and he'd make another film just as good, no question.

Agreed. Kinda the point I'm making with the above vid.

13 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

@tihon84 Something about the edit in that 1DXII video reminded me of this GH3 video that went viral a few years ago. It's a 2 generation old 1080p cam but still looks phenomenal:

The colors are WAY different and it's not even 4K... I'm just posting because ultimately the shot selection and editing, grading etc. have way more effect than deciding between a canon and panasonic. Having said that... those canon colors are sexy AF straight out of the camera.

The 1DXMK2 has great color straight out of the camera, there is no doubt of this. However, the GH5 has much more gradable footage when you get to post. Both are capable. For stills I give the edge to the Canon, but for video I give the edge to the GH5... it packs so much into that small body, that it boggles the mind. But in all honestly, either would do an admirable job in either role. They are truly great cameras. My 1DXMK2 is not going anywhere anytime soon and neither is my GH5. 

But on another note: my lens choices were fairly easy with the Canon... get the 24-70 f2.8 Lii, the 70-200 f2.8Lii, the 16-35mm f4, and the 50mm 1.2. Those are my main lenses. But with the GH5 I am more conflicted. I wanted this to be a cinema cam, but find those Veydras heavy for everyday duty. I love the 42.5mm Nocticron, but it is a prime and I kind of miss my zooms. I have yet to settle on what is the "ideal" setup with the GH5. Any thoughts?

11 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I have yet to settle on what is the "ideal" setup with the GH5. Any thoughts?

Start with the Panasonic 12-35 2.8: great all-around lens. Also the Voigtlander 25mm .95: fantastic character and bokeh.

38 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

Maybe this misses the point of being lightweight, but why not just speedboost the same lenses you use for the canon?

Well... ? ... The speed booster is yet another piece of gear I have... And I have concluded that if I'm gonna use it on the GH5, any size/weight advantage is pretty much null and void.

23 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I've got to admit, selecting native lenses for the X-T2 was a whole lot easier than for micro four thirds - I just purchased 1/4 of their system. ? 

Nice to know I'm not alone... But not really. I'm sort of looking for the silver bullet here. 

1 hour ago, jcs said:

Start with the Panasonic 12-35 2.8: great all-around lens. Also the Voigtlander 25mm .95: fantastic character and bokeh.

Yeah, I'm starting to think I just need to duplicate my Canon collection, with a m43 spin. So the above mentioned, plus the 35-100mm f2.8... keep the Nocticron... It's a special lens. Get the SLR  Magic compact... Add some diopters. Maybe add the 100-400mm F4, and call it a day.

That's it then... GH5 done... I think ?

I prefer the rendering of the Olympus zooms to the panny 12-35. The only advantage of the panny is the OIS but with ibis that is probably less important. I haven't used it but I love the look from the old 4/3 14-35 Olympus which is great wide open at f2.

23 minutes ago, mat33 said:

I prefer the rendering of the Olympus zooms to the panny 12-35. The only advantage of the panny is the OIS but with ibis that is probably less important. I haven't used it but I love the look from the old 4/3 14-35 Olympus which is great wide open at f2.

I use to love the idea of the Olympus Pro lenses, but I always figured they made more sense on an Olympus body. 

4 hours ago, jcs said:

This is solid advice - i use this combo - 12-35 (actually i just got the 12-60   to replace it) for events where you need focal range coverage (ETC is your friend) and the ability to go handehld to chase random events (where the focus rendering is the last of your concerns)  and then go to the 25 f.05 for the full frame / APSC look (its my go to lens for interviews and funky product close ups) - add in the 35-100 f2.8 - which delivers a near APSC  look due to its longer focal length and wide ish apertures (i shoot on it wide open nearly all the time)  and you are set. 

Without a doubt you definitely want some voigtlander glass

5 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

Watchtower of Turkey looks great but to get this look Leonardo exported the clips as an image sequence and then graded them in photoshop camera raw using VSCO and then exported back to a prores clip.  So the Panny's can look very very good but may be very labour intensive compared to a Canon, all depending on your grading skills.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Well... ? ... The speed booster is yet another piece of gear I have... And I have concluded that if I'm gonna use it on the GH5, any size/weight advantage is pretty much null and void.

I guess I'm just confused why you are wanting to go with the GH5. You said it's because the footage is sharper, more grade-able, and "cinematic"... do these things only matter to you if the size is kept small? Genuinely interested, because to me small only matters for things like gimbals, but even then I don't really consider a 1DX large if I'm honest.

7 minutes ago, EthanAlexander said:

I guess I'm just confused why you are wanting to go with the GH5. You said it's because the footage is sharper, more grade-able, and "cinematic"... do these things only matter to you if the size is kept small? Genuinely interested, because to me small only matters for things like gimbals, but even then I don't really consider a 1DX large if I'm honest.

Size and weight are a consideration as I need to travel with the gear. If in a studio it is of less concern as I will almost alway just pop the camera on a jib or a slider. With the GH5 there is the potential for a best of both worlds situation. Checking all boxes with one model camera. The Canon is not large... compared to most cinema cameras, but it definitely becomes heavy quickly once full rigged. Most one handed gimbals cannot manage the heft of a 1DXMK2 with lens. And even if one could... good luck flying that puppy one handed. The real advantage of the hybrid format is stealth.