Jump to content
zerocool22

Davinci resolve 14

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, sam said:

Really?  I just tried a 24p true 4k timeline with 4k 1dc, 4k fs700 , and  f35 clips scaled to 4k on the fly.  All real time.  Windows, single gpu with 8gb vram, 16gb ram, i7 5820. Very...mediocre..... But pcie raid card with a couple ssd's in raid 0 might explain?  From what I remember your system should walk circles around mine.  Or is it just the files from Geoff Boyles favorite camera?

Maybe an OSX thing? Haven't tried Resolve 14 on the 4K box: Win10 Pro, 6950X, 2T M.2 SSD + 4T 7200RPM HD, 64GB RAM, GTX 1080 8GB. Given what you reported it will probably play everything like butter :).

Good to see they are making nice progress, they'll get there someday! A toolkit that allowed us to quickly write custom filters using the GPU would be super rad :) (major pain with PP/AE; example code is a joke).

1 hour ago, jax_rox said:

There's always Avid. I would call that a more than viable alternative, and many would call it a first option with PP/FCX the 'alternatives'

Yeah read about the new free version, have you tried it? Doesn't Avid transcode EVERYTHING to DNxXX? PP CC, FCPX, and Resolve can play native files, which is super helpful (even though it's much harder to support).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, jcs said:

Yeah read about the new free version, have you tried it? Doesn't Avid transcode EVERYTHING to DNxXX? PP CC, FCPX, and Resolve can play native files, which is super helpful (even though it's much harder to support).

It can if you want it to, but Avid released their AMA framework years ago for playing files natively.

The best thing about AMA is it's based around AMA 'plugins' to support file types - so when a new camera or codec is released, you can quite simply download the AMA plugin for that codec, without having to update (or wait for an update) the entire software.

I like the newest version of FCPX, but Avid is far and away my preferred choice for cutting. And once you learn it, you can cut really fast.

Plus its in-built colour correction is heaps better than FCPX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jax_rox said:

It can if you want it to, but Avid released their AMA framework years ago for playing files natively.

The best thing about AMA is it's based around AMA 'plugins' to support file types - so when a new camera or codec is released, you can quite simply download the AMA plugin for that codec, without having to update (or wait for an update) the entire software.

I like the newest version of FCPX, but Avid is far and away my preferred choice for cutting. And once you learn it, you can cut really fast.

Plus its in-built colour correction is heaps better than FCPX.

The modular approach to file format support is a great design idea; should be the standard. How's the stability? Good to know Avid is another viable cross-platform option (I even considered Hitfilm- too bad it's so slow; has a lot of neat features for FX).

What we need is a team of seasoned game developers to write an NLE. They'd get it done reasonably fast, and it would use 100% of the available computing resources along with state of the art 3D effects, 3D match-moving, 3D tracking, integrated 3D particles with video layers, and even 3D scene relighting with shadows/occluders! All effects integrated into one app, no more PP/AE or FCPX/Motion. This has actually been possible for years, instead we're stuck with these clunky ancient-tech NLEs. Blender now does video editing, I wonder how far one could get writing an NLE in Unity 3D ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jcs said:

The modular approach to file format support is a great design idea; should be the standard. How's the stability? Good to know Avid is another viable cross-platform option

Avid publish recommended specs: http://www.avid.com/media-composer/specifications

But you could get away with less. I've personally never had much issue.

Given you can get a (admittedly crippled) version for free, I'd definitely recommend anyone download it and give it a go. There is a learning curve, but stick with it...

Avid also tend to listen to their users (for the most part), which is a good thing.

2 hours ago, jcs said:

What we need is a team of seasoned game developers to write an NLE. 

Unfortunately, I don't think the market for NLEs provides enough money to make it as most would want....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, jax_rox said:

Avid publish recommended specs: http://www.avid.com/media-composer/specifications

But you could get away with less. I've personally never had much issue.

Given you can get a (admittedly crippled) version for free, I'd definitely recommend anyone download it and give it a go. There is a learning curve, but stick with it...

Avid also tend to listen to their users (for the most part), which is a good thing.

Unfortunately, I don't think the market for NLEs provides enough money to make it as most would want....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried the demo for Reolve 14, think it's spectacular and I'll be migrating from Premiere, after a decade or so of using it.

It's MORE forward thinking than FCP-X, as it actually has a real NLE for audio and proper grading that makes sense.

$299 has made the decision easy. At $999 I'd have left it to be honest, so I think it's a great idea.

With regard to depreciation: that's part of the system. Sounds harsh but you have to suck it up. It's all going to keep getting cheaper and that's a good thing.

Try buying a Sony camera, you'll lose a few grand in a year. Don't mention a new car!

RE: Avid, AMA is cancer and for me Media Composer is as backward looking as it gets, IMHO. :dissapointed_relieved:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just tried the beta version. All the goodies are here, except from a proper multicam interpretation. Auto audio sync doesn't work properly, playback is laggy as hell with 3 FHD angles on a 5k iMac late 2015 even with optimised media, and very basic functions are still missing. 10 times faster than before? No...no way. I would say it's 10 times slower than FCPX. But on the other hand i don't have an Nvidia card so i am loosing CUDA's benefits.

Overall, really nice platform, can't believe its free. Unparalleled CC funcionality as always, BUT for broadcast applications where speed counts, it still lags behind. I can't even imagine how i could migrate from FCPX to this for multicam editing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Just tried the beta version. All the goodies are here, except from a proper multicam interpretation. Auto audio sync doesn't work properly, playback is laggy as hell with 3 FHD angles on a 5k iMac late 2015 even with optimised media, and very basic functions are still missing. 10 times faster than before? No...no way. I would say it's 10 times slower than FCPX. But on the other hand i don't have an Nvidia card so i am loosing CUDA's benefits.

Overall, really nice platform, can't believe its free. Unparalleled CC funcionality as always, BUT for broadcast applications where speed counts, it still lags behind. I can't even imagine how i could migrate from FCPX to this for multicam editing.

I have a feeling it is the Cuda thing... I'm on PC with a powerful card, when I'm docked it's a Titan X. I think this is a great FCPX style thing for PC users. On Mac I hear it's more temperamental.

I have to agree it's not as fast in terms of control at the moment, I'll have to do a lot of key rebinding i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried 14 yet because of working on site. But I will when I get back home, and as always when people complain about speed and such I'm always surprised to see how well my MacBook Pro from 2012 can seem to handle so much more than your computers. Same thing when 4K footage really became a thing. I edited 2 10min that was shot Ursa Mini 4K last year with no problems at all. Even did massive layering. Feels like a lot of complaining just for conplainings sake to be honest. 

 

Again, will try it out with some heavy raw footage when I get back home and let you all know how it works on a 5 year old laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgharding said:

I have a feeling it is the Cuda thing... I'm on PC with a powerful card, when I'm docked it's a Titan X. I think this is a great FCPX style thing for PC users. On Mac I hear it's more temperamental.

Nothing an external GPU can't solve :) :

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Have you tested any? Is there a specific device that you recommend?

I just tested the Akitio Node. Everything run great, easy to setup and no problems what so ever.  At the end I returned it, but only because I preordered the Mantiz Venus. 

If you are interested for an egpu solution then there is a very helpful community at https://egpu.io/ . You can find all sorts of combinations of GPUs/Cases/Computers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...