Post Tech

fuzzynormal

So this is sort of an informal poll as well as a question.  First, which film here do you find more entertaining and/or interesting?

https://vimeo.com/212758265

https://vimeo.com/108018156

There's not a right or wrong answer, just curious about which y'all find more engaging.

Now, regardless of which vid you chose, why did you choose it?  And a final follow up, how do you think this sort of thing affects the future of the "industry," if at all.

Cheers!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hallo Fuzzy,

well, I only watched Watchtower of Turkey and I found the visual rush very impressive but also very easy to forget about.

It´s like a luxury all you can eat dinner, too much of everything and too little of anything. If that makes sense :)

The other one I havent watched. For watchtower: picture quality and workflow with the GH3 is impressive. Still, i dig your little

vignettes and videos more, just more my kind of material.

I knew this was going to be loaded haha.

Personally I actually found the first more entertaining by quite a margin (I almost stopped the second before the end and thought about skipping through it).

I chose the first because I could follow some type of story. Although it wasn't super interesting it was at least something.

The second vid although having a few good visuals was meaningless to me. I've been to most those places and seen most those things myself, the edit also started to make me feel sick halfway through and I wondered constantly if this was actually supposed to mean something (the weird repetition of similar shots/spots made me think not and that it was just some show-reel).

I think it's the same as always, a good story trumps equipment, but the combination of the two can be really powerful if done right. That being said you need to use the right look for the right project, I think the crappy DV quality of the first vid helped bring across the stories aesthetic, if he had shot it with an ARRI mini I don't think it would have had the same vibe.

There you go.

I like the second one Way more than the first. I always loved to go to Turkey, but I have to admit as a White, Catholic, Christian person LoL, I never felt really comfortable there.

The main reason I liked it is I LOVE to go to different countries and see different people. I Love to go down a road, street I have never been on just to see where it leads to, the sites it has to offer. But I, as I get older, am not a big fan of the fast scene cuts in the last one. Vertigo can set in when you get older on that kind of stuff.  :cry:

The first one well Meh. I was sort of looking forward to when it ended! :grimace: I thought it was a mindless, confusing mess to be honest. My 2 cents. Looked more like a LSD binge than a movie!  :glasses:  Yeah I am that old to remember LSD, and to have tried it, eh, several times! :frown:

Cool answers.  As mentioned, no right or wrong answers.  I suppose it's a loaded question, sure.  Technical accomplishment vs. an artistic one.  

I find it compelling because of my personal experiences.  I mean, my main gig throughout most of my career (and still if I'm being honest) was mid-budget corporate stuff.  So I did a bunch of things with decent gear, looked clean and slick, but was boring as heck.

Myself, I find the goofy kid in Sundance more interesting as, to me, it has a sort of ramshackle Andy Kaufman satirization vibe to it.  Also he has a unique "voice."  he can take poorly shot video and manipulate the context of it to tell a curious story.  Thus, it's not "bad" footage at that point.  No small feat.  

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Cool answers.  As mentioned, no right or wrong answers.  I suppose it's a loaded question, sure.  Technical accomplishment vs. an artistic one.  

I find it compelling because of my personal experiences.  I mean, my main gig throughout most of my career (and still if I'm being honest) was mid-budget corporate stuff.  So I did a bunch of things with decent gear, looked clean and slick, but was boring as heck.

Myself, I find the goofy kid in Sundance more interesting as, to me, it has a sort of ramshackle Andy Kaufman satirization vibe to it.  Also he has a unique "voice."  he can take poorly shot video and manipulate the context of it to tell a curious story.  Thus, it's not "bad" footage at that point.  No small feat.  

Well I will sure as hell give the "not sure what too expect" aspect of the first one. I can see how that is better than the sort of predictable 2nd one. I can "Dig It" as they say. Remember I am old, but wise Grasshopper..

1 hour ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Do you all remember the Pepsi challenge? I suspect polls like these are similarish. I think there's a difference between a taste and the whole thing. 

When I took the "Pepsi Challenge" in the 1983, I chose Coke.  Man, the college girl running the thing was ticked off.  What can I say?  I dislike cola in general, but the Pepsi was and just way too sweet.

Just now, webrunner5 said:

You do realize that Andy Kaufman was Bat Shit Crazy!

Well, his antics were ridiculous, but I think he was perfectly sane and just having a lot of silly fun at his audience's expense.  He was so far ahead of the curve with wrastlin', for instance, it's quite amazing.  Still, to this day, the best heel ever.

4 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Well, his antics were ridiculous, but I think he was perfectly sane and just having a lot of silly fun at his audience's expense.  He was so far ahead of the curve with wrastlin', for instance, it's quite amazing.  Still, to this day, the best heel ever.

For some reason I think you are a Pee-wee Herman fan also!!  :grimace:  You don't hang out in the front row of movie theaters do you, own a bicycle??

21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

For some reason I think you are a Pee-wee Herman fan also!!  :grimace:  You don't hang out in the front row of movie theaters do you, own a bicycle??

I don't know about that, but I do know that there's no basement at the Alamo.

2 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

I think there's a difference between a taste and the whole thing. 

https://youtu.be/M8YApT-Eyn8

And then the guy that made these commercials then went on to run Apple computers.  It's, like, all the same reality distortion field, man.  It's full circle.

18 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I don't know about that, but I do know that there's no basement at the Alamo.

https://youtu.be/M8YApT-Eyn8

And then the guy that made these commercials went on to run Apple computers.  It's, like, all the same reality distortion filed, man.

Ahh, maybe that is where the Bathrooms were at? I mean when you have to go you have to go! They were there a Long time as you know.

Yeah he sucked ass pretty bad for them to bring Back Steve Jobs, that is for sure. I just don't think I could have ever worked for Steve! There are a few people that you just want to punch in the mouth. I think he might have been one.

I have been known to fight my way in and out of a few situations, and Bars. :frown:

4 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

And boring as heck Does pay the bills. So goes society, on average, pretty boring, hence the correlation!  :grin:  Welcome to the work force. Hell it only last for years, and years, and years. :grimace:

Point made.. Point taken... "the sound and the fury signifying nothing"

I feel like I was getting to know a actual person I could watch the first guy do a 30min or Hour I was learning something and a seeing mental a world view.

The second one looks great and was awesome to watch as an Into or death scene with your life passing before your eyes or something But about half way through I started to feel assaulted and anxious imagine watching a Hour of that on a huge screen with the sound blasting! It reminds me of koyaanisqatsi on crack... but very technically impressive and attention grabbing.

I feel the golden mean, the middle path is best, nothing to excess, yin and yang, bacon and eggs, PB&J etc.

I liked them both perhaps something in the middle would be ideal...

The first video I'd never have watched if I hadn't been asked to compare the two. It tells a story? But not through the visuals, they just show what is being said anyway. Even if I had been interested in the content - which I am not - I would have skipped it after seconds. The second video I knew before, and I kind of like it. Why? Because my duty was always to beauty, as Depeche Mode puts it. Empty eye-candy, but pleasing. Somewhat boring. What I was interested in is just the way it was edited and graded. You know how on Youtube there are often ads you can skip in 3, 2, 1 - click! Like this Turkish Airlines ad:

Pleasing, but easy to forget. A reminder that should I ever visit Turkey (which I am not interested in right now :grimace:) there was no point in capturing beautiful impressions of landscape and architecture because these images already exist, and I couldn't top them anyway.

Neither of them would be my 'picks'. Anyway, since I do a lot of camera gear related Youtube surfing, I got this ad before the ad above:

Afaik that's a turkish company. Edelkrone sounds very german though, it would literally translate as noble crown, good name for a beer. Watched it a couple times, because it inspired me. The internet, as we know, is full of special interest stuff, some considered mainstream (3 million clicks in one day of a 10 second iPhone clip showing a girls' feet with Justin Bieber sleeping in a hotel bed - speaking about content), some not so much. Who buys sliders?

13 minutes ago, Axel said:

Who buys sliders?

If they're from WhiteCastle, I do. 

Nevertheless, as you can imagine (and see from the responses), the informal poll that initiated this topic reveals more about those answering the inquiry than it is about the actual video content. 

Again, no right or wrong about it. We all have our different things that we find interesting or not.