Help with Proskar 16-A Keihan Adpater

frerichs

After reading Andrew's post on The Forgotten Anamorphic, and purchasing his helpful guide, I bought a Proskar 16-A.

I'm relatively new to anamorphic and have a Sankor 16D and DO 16F.  Using the Redstan clamps and recommended taking lenses, I've had good success with those two so far.

However, the Proskar I received seems more like a magnification lens than projection adapter.  I can't pull any focus and knew there was something "different" when I looked through the adapter vs. my other anamorphics.

I've attached two pictures as a reference.  I basically have to be right on top of the quarter to see that it's a quarter when looking through the Proskar.  No problem identifying the quarter at larger distances using the DO or Sankor.

I've tried the Helios 44m-4 and Jupiter-9 taking lenses, which work fine with the Sankor and DO.  

I saw that Andrew used a Canon FD 50mm Macro lens and wanted to investigate further before adding another lens to the mix (I would have to buy this.)

I'm thinking the adapter may be bad?  I haven't ruled out operator error, but...

Any thoughts, suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

[attachment=456:DO16F.jpg] 

[attachment=457:Proskar16A.jpg]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
unless you got it for free send it back.
so much junk around life is to short to be messin with dodgy proskar.

the proskar was not forgoten it was well known to super 8 shooters.
i got no money i do not care about quality perfect i will buy a used proskar.
it was a so so lens in the 70s and it has been getting worse ever since..

eiki,singer,sankor and kowa prominar 16s are better safer option
put camera on a tripod
find somethin 6 feet away..focus your camera lens get it nice and sharp set stop 2.8.
set proskar to 6 feet on scale hold up in front of camera lens fiddle for 5 mins if you cannot get focus send it back.

some lens are just not worth the effort unless they was freebie or unless you wanna get away from your wife or girlfriend by spending time destroying bad optics

• 3 weeks later...

Quick follow up...the guy I bought it from offered to give me a refund after I sent it back.

Apparently the lens was "simply assembled with one optic 90 degrees out of registration with the other optic."

It probably works now (assuming he's going to relist on E-Bay) but as it was coming from New Zealand, and I didn't want to take a chance on the "fix."

http://stores.ebay.com/bigalscamerashop

Thanks,

Kenny