More love for the Sony A6500?

Oliver Daniel

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

That happened to me with two seperate a6300. On the third replacement the EVF was tilting...

I know its a sensitive subject and believe me, I want Sony to succeed, but this is their mo these days.

The a7 and a6000 have been very solid for me. The rx100iv, a6300, a7ii and a7sii have all disappointed me.

I hope you get a better one next.

Wait you went through this too ?! I was really hoping it was a problem exclusive to this model because I bought it from a liquidation service. I figured the last guy that bought it broke it somehow they repaired it then it broke again. I pray my next model is better cause Sony makes great cameras but there should be no reason why they have so much sample variation in their cameras :(

6 hours ago, Rodolfo Fernandes said:

I got mine for a while now, and it sill surprises me video & photo wise, its a very impressive and versatile camera once you know how to work around its weaknesses

SLPMFIV.jpg
0cwLm6Y.jpg

Beautiful colors ! What profile was this shot in ? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@kidzrevil If you want a full frame look why not to buy a full frame camera? A7Sii is cheap as chips right now and I consider it a far better video camera than the smaller Sonys.

aesthitically, it looks awful by the way!  It seriously has the worst looks, and more importantly - because I like utilitarian form - if it works, the worst ergonomics.

I don't like the "full frame" at all by the way, s35 is my thing.

@Kisaha did I mention that I like the image ? 

I didn’t buy a full frame camera because I wanted the specific advantage of using a speedbooster in combination with the downscaling from a 6k sensor to 4k. 

As far as preferences go to each his own. What you may like may not be functional for me and vice versa.

We are not talking about the a7sii there are far better video cameras than that as well but thats subjective. 

I can agree the camera looks ugly and is unbalanced ergonomically. It has not become a deal breaker yet. I will make my final decision on its ergonomics when I see how it feels with the battery grip.

as far as full frame look vs super 35 its really not that serious if you know how to employ focal length equivalency into your work. The spatial compression of using full frame vs super 35 is different and each presents an advantage in certain scenarios. Aesthetically I prefer to shoot wide angle lenses on full frame (or full frame equivalent thanks to speedbooster) and normal to telephoto focal lengths on super 35

@kidzrevil please update with how you like it. I was quite fond of the camera when I had it. And I would have kept it if I didn’t get the overheating warning in 40-45 degree weather after shooting a half a dozen 20 second clips. It never shut down, but it scared the crap out of me. 

I loved sLog3 and sgamut3cinema (or whatever it’s called) I felt that it had the closest look to Raw from any compressed video footage I had seen or used prior to it.

22 hours ago, mercer said:

@kidzrevil please update with how you like it. I was quite fond of the camera when I had it. And I would have kept it if I didn’t get the overheating warning in 40-45 degree weather after shooting a half a dozen 20 second clips. It never shut down, but it scared the crap out of me. 

I loved sLog3 and sgamut3cinema (or whatever it’s called) I felt that it had the closest look to Raw from any compressed video footage I had seen or used prior to it.

I shot on Cine 3 with Cinema color yesterday and I was blown away. Underexposed by 0.3 to 0.7 the highlight roll off looked amazing without being super compressed. I haven’t gotten any problems with overheating but I am experiencing an issue with my nikkors wide open with the speedbooster. I get this weird purple/magenta cast. Im highly considering moving onto small modern glass like the voigtlander 40mm f2 but thats a story for another day ! I’ll post some stuff today 

55 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

I shot on Cine 3 with Cinema color yesterday and I was blown away. Underexposed by 0.3 to 0.7 the highlight roll off looked amazing without being super compressed. I haven’t gotten any problems with overheating but I am experiencing an issue with my nikkors wide open with the speedbooster. I get this weird purple/magenta cast. Im highly considering moving onto small modern glass like the voigtlander 40mm f2 but thats a story for another day ! I’ll post some stuff today 

Cine 3 with its steeper curve has the best skintones as well. No grade necessary. 

I had a similar problem as well with fast Nikkors & the speedbooster on the BMPCC. In my case it was due to excessive flaring which caused these casts. Better coating on modern lenses helps... 

8 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

Cine 3 with its steeper curve has the best skintones as well. No grade necessary. 

I had a similar problem as well with fast Nikkors & the speedbooster on the BMPCC. In my case it was due to excessive flaring which caused these casts. Better coating on modern lenses helps... 

Thank you ! I had a feeling it was something to do with the optical design of older lenses ?

as far as cine3 is concerned people really slept on it man. The other cine curves although useful are super compressed by 70% ire. Cine3 curve has this gradual compression thats almost linear like a still gamma curve and I am in love. Expose with white at 90% and everything else just rolls off smoothly into the clipping point at 109% 

Gonna play with cine3 and other color matrix today

@kidzrevil , hey, could it be that this has the best kidz colors ever? lookin fantastic!

But there are still two pieces of yours with equal great color, both with the G85 and one shot in portrait mode I remember.

So neutral style means cine3 profile was turned off and not in use then?

cheers

Edit: really lookin massive! :) what strength did your tiffens have?

Thx bro ! @PannySVHS this was shot on neutral (pp off) 

I shot something in cine 3 with stills gamma today and it looks awesome ! I will be posting that sometime this week

I used a tiffen satin 1 & a satin 2 on the tighter shots. I love these filters, they dont deteriorate the image much but definitely help cut down the edge sharpening & local contrast creating this smooth filmic look.

As far as color is concerned I think my Panasonic G85 has the edge but I need more time to dial in the settings with the a6500. Im sure I can squeeze a bit more out of it in post with cine3 & still color mode

18 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

As far as color is concerned I think my Panasonic G85 has the edge but I need more time to dial in the settings with the a6500. Im sure I can squeeze a bit more out of it in post with cine3 & still color mode

From your sample it seems, the Panny might be second for certain light situations compared to the sony though. Lookin creamy as heck!

Lookin forward to seein more.

Metabones speedbooster uktra x nikkor auto 85mm f1.8 & nikkor auto 35mm f2 w/ tiffen black satin filters

CBAE8CFA-F8BC-4D88-BC02-03ECC545C5AF.jpeg

20 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

From your sample it seems, the Panny might be second for certain light situations compared to the sony though. Lookin creamy as heck!

Lookin forward to seein more.

In good light for a medium closeup im going with the g85. Between iso 200-400 that color is spectacular. Im still wrestling with the Sony color a little but I am in love with the rendering of the image with the speedbooster

@PannySVHS yup Natural and Cinelike V is king if you don’t plan on doing much of any post production. I still use cinelike D for very specific reasons though : it has no knee/highlight compression & is compatible with a lot of LUT’s. The curve behind cinelike D is genius ! It squeezes all the usable data into the codec’s optimum range if you aim to have your whites at 90 ire. Just be extremely careful with white balance and exposure & you get the most flexibility in post from Cinelike D underexposing -2/3 to a stop underexposed and keeping iso between 200-640.

Sony Cinegammas are a beast too. If you pick the right one for the right situation it makes the most out of the 8bits.I use Cine 1 pro exposing for highlights & I don’t even bother looking at slog on my a6500. The cinegammas were masterfully created by Sony engineering when they were limited to 8bit data. Im glad The cinelike D & cinegamma curves from Panasonic & Sony trickled down into these bodies.

16 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@PannySVHS yup Natural and Cinelike V is king if you don’t plan on doing much of any post production. I still use cinelike D for very specific reasons though : it has no knee/highlight compression & is compatible with a lot of LUT’s. The curve behind cinelike D is genius ! It squeezes all the usable data into the codec’s optimum range if you aim to have your whites at 90 ire. Just be extremely careful with white balance and exposure & you get the most flexibility in post from Cinelike D underexposing -2/3 to a stop underexposed and keeping iso between 200-640.

Sony Cinegammas are a beast too. If you pick the right one for the right situation it makes the most out of the 8bits.I use Cine 1 pro exposing for highlights & I don’t even bother looking at slog on my a6500. The cinegammas were masterfully created by Sony engineering when they were limited to 8bit data. Im glad The cinelike D & cinegamma curves from Panasonic & Sony trickled down into these bodies.

C’mon you gotta at least try sLog3. I know there are reports of banding issues but I would think that may be limited comsidering you shoot in the city and get very limited open sky shots. The color and detail is insane in sLog3. Honestly, I was kinda hoping your due diligence with testing cameras’ capabilities would crack the sLog3 on the a6500 and tempt me to buy another one eventually. 

Kidz´A6500 is the best footage of Sony DSLM night footage I´ve seen, looking like oil paint rather than this akward charcoal look. No banding witnessed there:)

@mercer, weren´t you planning on getting a A6500 yourself? Sorry for the temptation, but you must resist and be strong:) Just had to teaze you a bit:)

CinedD, well, until now I don´t have so much trust in it at the moment. Though there is some awesome but rarely awesome footage shot with it on vimeos clips.

Maybe I should take out my G7, which I have not used at all, and do some CineD filming and give it a try. @kidzrevil, hey kidz, what are the adequate luts for cineD?