GH5 Noise Reduction @high ISOs simply sucks...

Emanuel

No, I have never been to Porto. You write Very good English. My Spanish sucks LoL. And I lived in Florida for 12 years. Lots of Mexican spoken there which I know is not the Royal Spanish they speak in Portugal. I had a Spanish language teacher that was from someplace in Portugal. He hated Mexican dialect LoL.

We probably ought to talk to each other on the message section. Andrew will throw us off.  And rightfully so. But I find this interesting as heck. I hope others do.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

No, I have never been to Porto. You write Very good English. My Spanish sucks LoL. And I lived in Florida for 12 years. Lots of Mexican spoken there which I know is the the Royal Spanish they speak in Portugal. I had a Spanish language teacher that was from someplace in Portugal. He hated Mexican dialect LoL.

Actually, not : ) We speak Portuguese which came from Galician-Portuguese:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galician-Portuguese

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_language

Spanish speakers speak Castellano, Castilian, in English, IIRC (we are able to understand them but there are distinct words and they fight to understand us; easier to read, obviously):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_language

Thanks for the compliments! I try my best, even though, English is a natural language in my work almost 100% of the time.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Why thank you. I know this is WAY off topic. But check out this video. What the hell do people in New York think about LoL. Jesus!

Hell I am old also, that could have been ME. Well I am not as old as her, but hey.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/woman-head-gets-stuck-york-090649120.html

I would have helped her, but I would have taken a 4K60p video first. ;)

I haven't really been following this thread much, but I think I've come across a tip for reducing noise, at least it works at lower ISOs on my G85, perhaps it will also help when shooting at higher ISOs on the GH5. Any feedback is appreciated. First, I turn sharpening down in camera. That helps reduce the level of sharpening of noise artifacts as well, giving a nicer, finer grain. Next, expose to the right. Shooting this way with the G85, I'm surprised how much recoverable detail there is in the highlights and it appears to have more DR and less noise in the shadows when I pull the luminance down in post. My shots aren't muddy any more, and with proper grading, the blacks really pop. 

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I haven't really been following this thread much, but I think I've come across a tip for reducing noise, at least it works at lower ISOs on my G85, perhaps it will also help when shooting at higher ISOs on the GH5. Any feedback is appreciated. First, I turn sharpening down in camera. That helps reduce the level of sharpening of noise artifacts as well, giving a nicer, finer grain. Next, expose to the right. Shooting this way with the G85, I'm surprised how much recoverable detail there is in the highlights and it appears to have more DR and less noise in the shadows when I pull the luminance down in post. My shots aren't muddy any more, and with proper grading, the blacks really pop. 

Is your sharpness set at -5 as well ? Mine is currently at -3

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

Is your sharpness set at -5 as well ? Mine is currently at -3

I used to set it at -5, now I keep it at -3, it doesn't look over-sharpened at all, even with the PanLeica lenses. I'm really loving Cinelike D now, before I was afraid, because I knew I'd have to do some grading or throwing on a LUT, but I'm getting better skin tones every day, the more I get the hang of it. 

8 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

Are you finding there's a pay back at high ISOs? Personally I'm not finding the noise particularly objectionable. There's quite a fine grain structure to the noise on the GH5.

I seldom shoot higher than ISO 800 with the G85, the GH5 is going to behave quite differently. I hardly ever add sharpening in post, but here's a very interesting and sensible tutorial that I think everyone should watch.

3 hours ago, R2me24 said:

Ok, I must be doing things all wrong. I did some ISO tests and at 1080 24p - ISO 200 was horrible and grainy, and progressively got worse as ISO increased. When shooting in 4K, it wasn't bad up to 800. Also, I noticed 1080 seems cropped vs 4k. (after uploading to Vimeo, noise doesn't look AS bad.)

https://vimeo.com/213012841

https://vimeo.com/213010066

New camera in 'Noisy when severely underexposed' shocker!

Even at 3200 you're not near a clean exposure, what did you expect? Even the Alexa produces a grainy image when you starve it of light. 

2 hours ago, Chrad said:

Even at 3200 you're not near a clean exposure, what did you expect? Even the Alexa produces a grainy image when you starve it of light. 

It is a difficult dilemma. In low light is it better to get darker image with less noise (low iso) or brighter image with more noise (high iso). The light in sensor is the same but the iso changes.

39 minutes ago, Vesku said:

It is a difficult dilemma. In low light is it better to get darker image with less noise (low iso) or brighter image with more noise (high iso). The light in sensor is the same but the iso changes.

The key is to test what level of underexposure you feel is acceptable on your subject at various ISO values. Sometimes it's better to go grainy and even or overexposed, even if you have to push to 3200 or so.