Jump to content

Panasonic G85 review - is there any need to get an Olympus E-M1 Mark II for video?


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Vesku said:

Thanks for confirming DR. I shooted some New Year fireworks and night city scenes with my GH4 and it clipped too much bright lights. I dont want to update worse than GH4. Noise was not an issue with GH4 but the dyn range was in that difficult light. 

In Andrews G85 review GH4 has better highlights in iso1600 candle examples. 

Lol there is literally no camera that can capture all the tones from shadows to bright lights in a city shooting scenario??. Cinelike D & Natural have at least 9-11 stops of DR and thats more than plenty to me

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You're not wrong about Oly.  And I shoot Fuji as well, so all these things are part of the mixed bag.  The thing is, when we're talking price, when we're looking at cameras within similar classes, the

Micro Four Thirds is increasingly going up-market and into pro territory, but unfortunately new Panasonic and Olympus cameras are getting more and more expensive by the day. Thankfully the G85 is

I'm currently NOT eating paella  I'm eating tapas It does the same on the G7 so I'll look at it when I resume work on Monday I have an idea that will probably work 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, PILUIS said:

 Qué ocurre que Panasonic ha hecho una chapuza jajajajajajaja El Panasonic G80 hace ruido y mucho. En Panasonic Me han dicho que es el sistema de reducción de polvo del sensor. Y esto es intolerable, ya que el ruido se hace incluso en las grabaciones. Yo he tenido varias con estabilizador y de reducción de polvo y ninguno ha hecho tanto ruido como este. El GX80 no  hace ruido. La Olympus no hace ningún ruido. El Sony ni siquiera se oía ningún ruido. Panasonic no nos han hecho un dulce de azúcar de la cámara? Ellos tienen que eliminar como lo hicieron con el estabilizador de un nuevo firmware que reduce el ruido que se escucha en la cámara cuando lo enciende. Puede desactivar el sistema cuando se está grabando vídeo. O se oye cuando se enchufa, pero luego se remueve. Esto arruina una cámara y que son pequeñas cosas que pueden ser corregidos.
Vamos a estar al tanto de este nuevo firmware 1.2

Noise from the IBIS is a real issue. Perhaps a firmware update can help reduce the noise, perhaps not. At the moment, the best solution is to record sound off camera. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Noise from the IBIS is a real issue.

I don't hear it too much honestly, but I've been filming in city environments, so lot's of ambient tone.  Anyway, it's not like you'd use the camera audio for much anyway.  Any hand shuffling on the body translates into noise "crackles" on the mic.  Plus, the mic fidelity sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

While all cameras record different tints they are all consistent with decreasing luminance values, except for the G85 which goes from some yellowish/orange to green

color-compare.jpg

The Sony looks very impressive especially price/performance wise!

It would be interesting to find out how well the GH5 is going to compare to the Sony.

 

The takeaway for me from these tests is that the camera operator is what makes all the difference in the world, not the camera. The Canon 5D performs the worst among the cameras tested, but has given us some of the most amazing cinematic images I've ever seen on the Web. The camera with the greatest dynamic range, the Ursa Mini 4.6K,  has problems of its own aplenty, which hasn't prevented talented filmmakers from exploiting its strengths. You can post charts here twenty times a day if you like, showing how inferior the G85 is: but since you obviously have no intention whatsoever of ever purchasing this camera, or even contributing to the discussion in any meaningful way, I wonder what your true motivation is, and why you jump for joy like a five year-old each time you discover more damaging evidence to prove that the G85 is piece of trash. If you can't make pleasing images and tell engaging stories with the G85, it is certainly not the fault of the camera. If low light performance and dynamic range are that important to you, I'd recommend looking into an APS-C sensor camera. 

24 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I don't hear it too much honestly, but I've been filming in city environments, so lot's of ambient tone.  Anyway, it's not like you'd use the camera audio for much anyway.  Any hand shuffling on the body translates into noise "crackles" on the mic.  Plus, the mic fidelity sucks.

Finally, somebody who actually owns and has used the camera, and who could probably tell more engaging stories with an iPhone than the trolls in this thread could with a digital Bolex.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jonpais said:

As Tom Antos says, "It really comes down to your skills as a photographer. All of these cameras can be used by serious filmmakers." The camera they used for their discussion at the beginning and end of the 'shootout' was a GH4. The Lumix G85 could have been intercut seamlessly with that footage and nobody would be able to tell the difference. 

I completely agree. I shot with so many cameras both pro & "consumer" and the things people scream about in these forums amaze me. Pretty much if a camera has an on/off switch and takes a memory card its a good camera....we just need better camera operators :-) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dantheman said:

It looks a bit like a XT2 on steroids :) 

Looks great, I"m still waiting for my g80 to complement my gx85 which I ordered from CVP in the UK october last year, today the g80 is still not in stock.

 

:):):)  Thanks, Dan. At least you didn't have to fly to Malaysia to pick one up. Can't find them in Vietnam.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In my country (Belgium) the g80 is in stock in every major video store but I couldn't pass up on the deal I got in the UK, I get a free batterygrip and a 64gb 95mbs sandisc extreme pro card + the body is much cheaper as well, If I would have bought where I live I would have to pay 500euro more for the same contents so I don't mind being patient. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dantheman said:

In my country (Belgium) the g80 is in stock in every major video store but I couldn't pass up on the deal I got in the UK, I get a free batterygrip and a 64gb 95mbs sandisc extreme pro card + the body is much cheaper as well, If I would have bought where I live I would have to pay 500euro more for the same contents so I don't mind being patient. 

Wow. Love Belgium. Ghent, Antwerp, Bruges: all super great. When I traveled there in the 80s, I paid $5.00 USD/night for a hostel, and guests could stay free if they were willing to do some cleaning around the place.

As has been pointed out earlier, there is some aggressive, detail-destroying noise reduction going on at ISO 800. I would recommend avoiding shooting at higher ISOs unless you dial down NR all the way and use Neat Video or some other software in post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bruges or Brugge is my favorite city, have shot some video for fun a few times in that city. Good to know about the noise as I plan to shoot a lot at high iso since it's going to be used at weddings, my gx85 has performed admirably in that area, even better then my gh4 so I hope the g80 will do the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Wow. Love Belgium. Ghent, Antwerp, Bruges: all super great. When I traveled there in the 80s, I paid $5.00 USD/night for a hostel, and guests could stay free if they were willing to do some cleaning around the place.

As has been pointed out earlier, there is some aggressive, detail-destroying noise reduction going on at ISO 800. I would recommend avoiding shooting at higher ISOs unless you dial down NR all the way and use Neat Video or some other software in post.

what is the max usable iso before massive noise reduction comes into play ? Does dialing down the NR to -5 preserve that detail ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

what is the max usable iso before massive noise reduction comes into play ? Does dialing down the NR to -5 preserve that detail ?

If you watched the video, and I'm sure you did :), the shot of the young boy having his portrait drawn and the woman stylist were both shot at ISO 800 to the best of my recollection (I never write this stuff down). And you can already see the image starting to break apart (at least I can). So I would personally never shoot beyond ISO 800. I plan to do some testing at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 with NR dialed all the way down to see if that helps. I believe Jase is shooting the G85/80 or GX85/80 with NR at -5, so perhaps he can chime in. But this is absolutely not a low light camera. I strongly recommend to anyone who shoots a lot of low light to either plan on setting enough aside for fast lenses or Metabones or looking into the X-T2 or similar ASP-C camera. Actually, there is no camera similar to the X-T2: it has the most beautiful sensor ever to grace a mirrorless body. If anyone's curious, all the shots were made with the Leica Nocticron and a Hoya ND8 filter, at around f/2.8 or wider. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2016 at 6:45 AM, Vesku said:

Auto exposure is the best way to optimize dynamic range. It wont let highlights to clip like with manual exposure if not being very careful.

what ?! lmaaaaoo 

 

On 12/24/2016 at 7:19 PM, Stanley said:

Thanks for looking Jon, but yeah there's not much out there to look at, and some people are saying that 1080p on the new line of G/GX cameras isn't the best.

When I used to patch my GH2, my 6 year old little old Lenovo G560 handled it just. So I might look into Edit ready. Cheers. 

,

 

why don't you just get a gh3 if all you need is good 1080 ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

In his defence. He is right. If you suck at manual exposure and let it run wild. You end up clipping a lot of the useful dynamic range, resulting in less captured dynamic range. So either you just need to pay attention and not suck at manual exposure, or... like a Tesla, you let the damn thing do it for you. It's convenient, but not very good practice (doesn't make you skilled at it)/fun.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see a noise reduction test using the gx85 & g85. It would be nice to know 1) exactly when the NR becomes noticeable 2) the maximum amount of noise reduction that can be applied in camera before detail smearing becomes noticeable as well. In theory less noise in the image before h264 compression will give us a better image 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jonpais said:

If you watched the video, and I'm sure you did :), the shot of the young boy having his portrait drawn and the woman stylist were both shot at ISO 800 to the best of my recollection (I never write this stuff down). And you can already see the image starting to break apart (at least I can). So I would personally never shoot beyond ISO 800. I plan to do some testing at ISO 800 and ISO 1600 with NR dialed all the way down to see if that helps. I believe Jase is shooting the G85/80 or GX85/80 with NR at -5, so perhaps he can chime in. But this is absolutely not a low light camera. I strongly recommend to anyone who shoots a lot of low light to either plan on setting enough aside for fast lenses or Metabones or looking into the X-T2 or similar ASP-C camera. Actually, there is no camera similar to the X-T2: it has the most beautiful sensor ever to grace a mirrorless body. If anyone's curious, all the shots were made with the Leica Nocticron and a Hoya ND8 filter, at around f/2.8 or wider. 

If you had to chose between the G85 (with a speedbooster) and the XT2, which would you pick? I've fallen in love with the XT2, but I'm not sure I can justify buying it when I can get the panny for half the price. The IBIS in the G85 makes this decision even harder because I'm using unstabilized lenses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...