I need footage from the Panasonic G7 and GX80

Inazuma

People always say - if only there was a camera with Canikon's colours, Olympus' image stabilisation, Panasonic's usability and Sony's features. Well we're getting close now with the GX80 and I think I can plug the gap on colours

In the past I have actually shot the GX7 on jobs alongside my d5500 and (now sold) canon c100 mk ii. It is hard matching those cameras up and is part of the reason for why I'm so obsessed with grading and creating LUTs. 

Anyway with all that said.. I have been spending long hours the last few nights trying to conjure a LUT to end them all. I think I am very close now. It is a LUT that makes your Panasonic video look like it was shot with the Nikon. But I need more footage to work with. If people could do me a favour and send me footage from their GX80 and G7's I would be very grateful. Most convenient places to upload them is to Dropbox or Google drive. Either post them to this thread or send me a private message. I would like unedited clips. Would be helpful to have footage from a variety of lighting conditions too. Please do send well shot stuff though... not overexposed with the camera going all over the place. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great idea.  I think one important step is to have some footage with a color checker chart so that you fist get rid of any color cast.  I could never get the NX1 to have a color balance I was happy when tweaking it on my own with 3D lit creator and then using the color checker chart, that all changed.

@Inazuma It is probably too late, but here is some recordings I did comparing the Panasonic LX100, G7, GX80, and Olympus OMD E-M5II.  Skin tones and the X-Rite Video Colour Checker Passport and DSC Labs Colour Chart.  All were set to custom white balance using an expo disk  before recording was started - the light was usual UK grey overcast.

The lens used for the GX80, G7, and OMD E-M5 II was the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 zoom at 35mm at f2.8, ISO 200, 1/50s shutter.  The lens on the LX100 is the fixed 24-75mm (equivalent) lens shot at 75mm (eq), f2.8, ISO 200, 1/50 shutter.

The Panasonic cameras were all shot at 4k 100Mbps and the Olympus using the 1080p ALL-I 77 Mbps codecs.  The video was downscaled to 1080p in FCPX.

The Panasonic profiles were "Natural 0, -3, -4, 0" and "Standard -5,-5,-5,-5"

The Olympus profiles were "Natural 0, -2, 0", "Muted -2, -2, -2" and "Flat Video" profiles.

The original files can be found at: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5L5s8IdiEl9c0VvM2oyN2Y4bTg

If anyone is interested:  I'd like to preview the 1080 60p footage.  Specifically, I want to see how the GX80 handles motion when shot with a 125shutter speed vs. a 60shutter speed.  Often I shoot to conform to slow-mo with my GX7, and I've noticed that I cannot conform 60p/60ss to 30p slow-mo.  For some reason the shutter needs to be on 125ss.  Not a big deal, but one loses a bit of exposure ability.  So...same with the GX80?

A quick test with something like car traffic moving across the shot frame would suffice for review. 

Any help is appreciated.

2 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

If anyone is interested:  I'd like to preview the 1080 60p footage.  Specifically, I want to see how the GX80 handles motion when shot with a 125shutter speed vs. a 60shutter speed.  Often I shoot to conform to slow-mo with my GX7, and I've noticed that I cannot conform 60p/60ss to 30p slow-mo.  For some reason the shutter needs to be on 125ss.  Not a big deal, but one loses a bit of exposure ability.  So...same with the GX80?

A quick test with something like car traffic moving across the shot frame would suffice for review. 

Any help is appreciated.

I can't help as I only have the PAL 50fps model.  Hopefully there is someone with the NTSC version.  Maybe ask in the other thread?