Jump to content

One Lens?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, my Voigtlander came in... I'm a little bummed because the seller advertised it was Version II, but it is actually Version I. With that being said, other than the disappointment... It truly is an a

The GH4 hack will probably be the GH5. In fact, I think that was one of Panasonic's smartest moves... Listen to what the customers wanted based upon the popularity of the hacks. If Canon followed suit

+10000, 40mm is the most natural focal lenght, it sits right at the spot were it changes from wideangle to tele.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, mercer said:

@kidzrevil and @jase . How did you guys find the 25mm wide open. Obviously, you buy the lens for its speed, but is it decent wide open? I have been looking at every video and photo I can find and it seems like in photos the fringing is a little more evident than in video?

Yes, fringing is evident in video, especially wide open. Didnt care since no one other than us techies sees that. In fact, I used that lens mostly at f2.0 and f.095 when DOF needed or lowlight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Maybe i'll pick one up if we get a gh4 hack ? Lol

The GH4 hack will probably be the GH5. In fact, I think that was one of Panasonic's smartest moves... Listen to what the customers wanted based upon the popularity of the hacks. If Canon followed suit, the 5DIV should have 1080p Raw video. It probably won't though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jase said:

Yes, fringing is evident in video, especially wide open. Didnt care since no one other than us techies sees that. In fact, I used that lens mostly at f2.0 and f.095 when DOF needed or lowlight.

I think you may be seeing the effects of the tiffen pro mist I had on the lens 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

I think you may be seeing the effects of the tiffen pro mist I had on the lens 

I think he was replying to my question because he used to have the lens too. Btw, I was checking out your gh4 videos and they are stellar. The car show had some cool mojo going on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How do the contax zeiss hold up in 4K ? Im curious about the contax zeiss and leica r's for my next purchase. The IQ im getting in my vimeo uploads dont justify the price of my milvus glass, so im looking for something with character but enough res for 4k

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

How do the contax zeiss hold up in 4K ? Im curious about the contax zeiss and leica r's for my next purchase. The IQ im getting in my vimeo uploads dont justify the price of my milvus glass, so im looking for something with character but enough res for 4k

The Contax Zeiss Planar 50mm f/1.7 was probably the best lens I ever owned. I couldn't afford any of the others, so I sold it. The 28mm f2 is probably my favorite image of any lens... But it's a pricy little bastard. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@mercer I'll look into that dude, I got my eye on the 85mm f1.2 the 50mm f1.4 and the 28mm f2. Footage from the contax lenses look good ! You used it on a 4k body ?

There's a giant Contax Zeiss thread on reduser. The German versions of many lenses show what's regarded as ninja star bokeh while the Japanese versions do not. Something to be aware of, I personally can't stand the ninja star look, so I've always bought MIJ lenses. Supposedly the MIJ versions have updated coatings too. The other drawback for me is 6-bladed apertures on most lenses, Zeiss moved to 8-blades with the ZE/ZF's and many can be found for less than the C/Y versions without worries of internal fungus and dust.

They're fine with 36mp stills on the A7r, they're more than up to the task for 4k.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, The Chris said:

There's a giant Contax Zeiss thread on reduser. The German versions of many lenses show what's regarded as ninja star bokeh while the Japanese versions do not. Something to be aware of, I personally can't stand the ninja star look, so I've always bought MIJ lenses. Supposedly the MIJ versions have updated coatings too. The other drawback for me is 6-bladed apertures on most lenses, Zeiss moved to 8-blades with the ZE/ZF's and many can be found for less than the C/Y versions without worries of internal fungus and dust.

They're fine with 36mp stills on the A7r, they're more than up to the task for 4k.

Indeed. The problem is that ZEs require electrical contacts to control the aperture, and ZFs focus "backwards." Contax Zeiss are the newest Zeisses for DSLRs that have aperture rings and focus the correct direction. Plus, the coatings are a little less contrasty, which helps preserve DR and a more "organic" look for video. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even have to think it over - lately almost all my shooting is with the Nikkor 28-70 "beast". Lots of corporate stuff. Sharp wide open, great IQ, out of focus areas get a nice glow. Aperture ring and built like a tank. Wide open you can let it flare in high-key setups to get a nice softness with sharp details, or flag it off for deeper contrast. Very low distortion wide and the 70mm end is lovely. Takes a heck of a focus gear and generally needs a lens support, but very glad I have it. And kind of a steal used, they can be found under $1k, and since many of them had lame focus motors, you can find one needing the motor repair for a steal if you don't need the AF.

The only thing I miss with it is that 80mm Nikkor look for interviews, but having the zoom is really convenient for one-man corporate gigs - makes it much easier to get good framing in a tight office, and then you can grab your b-roll without swapping lenses.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2016 at 2:57 AM, mercer said:

Yeah, I am pretty excited. I had zero regrets or remorse listing those lenses today. I wasn't planning on getting this lens so quickly, but one came up and I threw out a lowball offer and they accepted it. Now I need to raise some money to get the GX85 because I want to make sure I like it before I sell my G7. 

 

 

I am also very curious to know how the GX85/80 compares to the G7. If its as good for video ans stills, it will be some seriously good camera (minus the minor shutter shock issue and the lack of stabilization found on the G7). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...