New Canon cameras and ML?

Jimmy

I'm sure we are all (expectedly) underwheled by the video features of the last two Canon announcements (1300D and 80D)... But the first thing I think about when these cameras drop is "what can ML do with them"?

Are any of these models able to do 1080/60p in raw yet, not the 60p that needs to be stretched, but pure 1080/60p?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Is it even worth tinkering around anymore with the competition upping the game every other month? Besides, familiar sensors... so I bet you're hardly gonna squeeze any more out of it? Maybe it was worth it up to the 5DmkIII. But now??? Not so sure.

If I were an actual developer I'd spare wasted time and shift my focus to the Apertus AXIOM project and other revenues.

18 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'm sure we are all (expectedly) underwheled by the video features of the last two Canon announcements (1300D and 80D)... But the first thing I think about when these cameras drop is "what can ML do with them"?

Are any of these models able to do 1080/60p in raw yet, not the 60p that needs to be stretched, but pure 1080/60p?

The only canon camera before the 80d that was able to do 1080p 60fps was the 7d mark ii. i think they had trouble cracking it and it was to much trouble to be worth it.

1 minute ago, Cinegain said:

Is it even worth tinkering around anymore with the competition upping the game every other month? Besides, familiar sensors... so I bet you're hardly gonna squeeze any more out of it? Maybe it was worth it up to the 5DmkIII. But now??? Not so sure.

If I were an actual developer I'd spare wasted time and shift my focus to the Apertus AXIOM project and other paid revenues.

Very true but im not gonna lie, the 5d mark iii raw is stil my favorite digital image out there under 15k.

But is anyone taking the trouble to start using it now?? So, if you were developping new patches, which have become increasingly difficult with newer Canon cameras... it would perhaps be for the 17 people who'd be interested. I don't see it happening.

The 5DmkIII ML RAW definitely was a milestone, but there's a lot to love under 10k even that I'd prefer to work with.

Maybe you are right.... Personally, I still prefer a beautiful 1080p image to an ok/good 4K image. The amount of activity on the BMMPC thread seems to suggest i'm not alone.

The only reason I sold my 5DIII was the need for 60p... I still regret it every day though and the minute it is possible to get 60p raw, I will buy whichever cam can do it.

Also, talking about sub $10k when the two new models are $1299 and $599 seems a bit pointless.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

If I were an actual developer I'd spare wasted time and shift my focus to the Apertus AXIOM project and other paid revenues.

I was in the same situation, sold my 7d because 60p is needed for my workflow. The blackmagic micro cinema is a very exicting product imo, only thing holding me back is the 600$ price of the bmpcc speedbooster which seems like a necesary if you want to get some sort of shallow dof.

The massive limiting factor is write speed. And Canon uses crappy cheap SD card controls that can't write ultra fast. So none of their DSLRs with SDs are worth considering at all. So no, ML will not be able to save them.

8 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

I was in the same situation, sold my 7d because 60p is needed for my workflow. The blackmagic micro cinema is a very exicting product imo, only thing holding me back is the 600$ price of the bmpcc speedbooster which seems like a necesary if you want to get some sort of shallow dof.

For a fraction of the cost get the RJ Lens Turbo instead then. If you're not locked into the Canon EF ecosystem. 

• Administrators

Still my favourite is the 5D Mark II especially as it is now so affordable used (£650)

Even without the Mosaic AA filter it's a beauty of an image and every bit as good as the 5D Mark III, if not actually even a bit more 'characterful' and less 'clean'!

There's no need to even consider anything newer, they're all far worse... although the 70D with dual pixel AF is quite a lot of fun with raw.

Problem is, the image isn't nearly as good as the 5D Mark II from all those years ago.

80D won't be getting raw any time soon I don't think.

ML probably have moved on a bit to be honest.

Canon had their chance to nurture something great... didn't...

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Still my favourite is the 5D Mark II especially as it is now so affordable used (£650)

Even without the Mosaic AA filter it's a beauty of an image and every bit as good as the 5D Mark III, if not actually even a bit more 'characterful' and less 'clean'!

There's no need to even consider anything newer, they're all far worse... although the 70D with dual pixel AF is quite a lot of fun with raw.

Problem is, the image isn't nearly as good as the 5D Mark II from all those years ago.

80D won't be getting raw any time soon I don't think.

ML probably have moved on a bit to be honest.

Canon had their chance to nurture something great... didn't...

I did always love the image out of the 5DII although never having owned it myself. I might just exchange my 7D for one now.

15 hours ago, Jimmy said:

I'm sure we are all (expectedly) underwhelmed by the video features of the last two Canon announcements (1300D and 80D)... But the first thing I think about when these cameras drop is "what can ML do with them"?

me too

id love to see another generation of ml raw video hacking, but i dont know how much the interest is there from the developer community anymore, sad to say it

if theres gonna be a target for magic lantern any time soon (between data speeds/affordability etc) it could be the upcoming 5d4/X... ive still got my fingers crossed but im not holding my breath lol

on the plus side, 5d3 bodies should become even more affordable in the near future :blush:

i think that cameras gonna be around forever... film students will be buying them used years and years from now to shoot raw video. its really cool 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Yea... The 5D4 could really bring ML back into the game. Has anyone worked out the data rate required for 4k raw... About 400MBps I guess? CF fast could do it, right?

my secret fantasy lol

stranger things have happened tho