SONY FS5 vs SAMSUNG NX1

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well in the video that was posted above, the FS5 looks awful and the NX1 looks great, no matter what mode it was shot in. It's hard to tell the difference between NX1 4K and NX1 1080p and it's hard to tell the difference between FS5 4K and FS5 1080p. Both FS5 modes look way worse than both NX1 modes, even the FS5 4K looks worse than the NX1 1080p. The NX1 performs great but that FS5 footage is seriously flawed, so it's hard to compare it to the NX1 really. 

If I were a betting man, would I be correct to assume you're a NX-1 owner?

Do you disagree? Honestly up until a short while ago I was not an NX1 owner... but after all the footage, pictures and reviews of the NX1, I became convinced that it was worth a shot. And now having owned it, I can tell you it's a great camera. Granted it's not perfect... no camera is. But it is an awesome value for money. It's 1080p is better than the 4k of many cameras. And it's 4k is among the clearest that I've seen. Colors are good also. It's amazing that there can even be a debate relative to cameras in a totally different class... that alone should stand as testament to how good a value the NX1 is. Truth be told, you could spend a lot more and still end up with an inferior camera in many ways.

I'm afraid you're wrong, no experience with the NX1 whatsoever. I'm not saying that the NX1 footage that was posted in this topic looks incredible, although I'm a bit shocked (in a positive way) how good the 1080p looks in comparison to the first few firmware versions. What I was trying to point out is that the FS5 footage looks really, really bad and I doubt that that's what the camera is actually capable of shooting. It simply looks like the focus is way off. There's very little detail, the branches in the foreground are out of focus, all the detail looks mushy. The 4K codec of the FS5 is awful so I never really considered it to be a 4K camera, but I was expecting the 1080p to look really, really good and it looks really, really bad for no obvious reason. 

I'm afraid you're wrong, no experience with the NX1 whatsoever. I'm not saying that the NX1 footage that was posted in this topic looks incredible, although I'm a bit shocked (in a positive way) how good the 1080p looks in comparison to the first few firmware versions. What I was trying to point out is that the FS5 footage looks really, really bad and I doubt that that's what the camera is actually capable of shooting. It simply looks like the focus is way off. There's very little detail, the branches in the foreground are out of focus, all the detail looks mushy. The 4K codec of the FS5 is awful so I never really considered it to be a 4K camera, but I was expecting the 1080p to look really, really good and it looks really, really bad for no obvious reason. 

I think when comparing to a camera that is down-sampling from 6.5k, you had better bring your A-game. I'll just come out and say it. The Sony looks soft. Not just the FS5, but the entire Alpha line up.

There have been other post about this. 

Stills are all well and good. Don't see any info as to the lenses used. How about some video that shows that crisp sharpness? I have yet to see any from either the A7Rii or the A7Sii that are as sharp as the NX1. And for the record, when I watch videos... I tend to watch them moving.

Stills are all well and good. Don't see any info as to the lenses used. How about some video that shows that crisp sharpness? I have yet to see any from either the A7Rii or the A7Sii that are as sharp as the NX1. And for the record, when I watch videos... I tend to watch them moving.

These are frames from video. Dpreview uses the sharpest lens that they have for each camera, in this case the 55mm 1.8 for Sony and the 16-50 2-2.8 for NX1. 

This is the most well controlled test about image resolution in video that I can find on the internet. If you have a test with even sharper lenses or a more controlled scene please post it here. Cause testing resolution with adapted lenses is not one. 

People want to form their own opinion no matter what they see, moving or stills. So if you want to bash all Sony cameras I will not stop you. 

These are frames from video. Dpreview uses the sharpest lens that they have for each camera, in this case the 55mm 1.8 for Sony and the 16-50 2-2.8 for NX1. 

This is the most well controlled test about image resolution in video that I can find on the internet. If you have a test with even sharper lenses or a more controlled scene please post it here. Cause testing resolution with adapted lenses is not one. 

People want to form their own opinion no matter what they see, moving or stills. So if you want to bash all Sony cameras I will not stop you. 

Zoom vs prime... well that's certainly a fair test for sharpness... Next!

I've shot a bit of stuff on the Sony FS7 and as far as I know, the FS7 and FS5 share the same sensor. There are minor differences and the codec is vastly superior on the FS7 (or should I say the 4K codec on the FS5 is garbage?). Still, the FS7 delivers near-perfect 1080p in terms of resolution and I can't see a reason why the 1080p of the FS5 should look like this mushy stuff that was posted in here. 

When the NX1 was released, the 4K looked spectacular but the 1080p didn't look very exciting. I know there have been firmware upgrades that apparantly improved the 1080p quality since then. Is the quality now comparable to 4K without the ability to zoom in / pan / crop the image in post? If so, then that'd be fantastic!

I've shot a bit of stuff on the Sony FS7 and as far as I know, the FS7 and FS5 share the same sensor. There are minor differences and the codec is vastly superior on the FS7 (or should I say the 4K codec on the FS5 is garbage?). Still, the FS7 delivers near-perfect 1080p in terms of resolution and I can't see a reason why the 1080p of the FS5 should look like this mushy stuff that was posted in here. 

When the NX1 was released, the 4K looked spectacular but the 1080p didn't look very exciting. I know there have been firmware upgrades that apparantly improved the 1080p quality since then. Is the quality now comparable to 4K without the ability to zoom in / pan / crop the image in post? If so, then that'd be fantastic!

I have no experience with the old firmware, so I cannot speak to that.  However,  I can tell you that the 1080p is dam good. Also the 120fps looks great and is not cropped. 

My only concern with the NX1 was low light performance. I didn't need to see in the dark, I'm not conducting surveillance, so I light my scenes. I just wanted usable footage at 6400 iso or less. Fast glass took care of those concerns. 

Battery life is great, no overheating,  memory cards cost half the price (don't need super fast cards) and store much more because of the codec. Files playback on any high-end android smartphone. It's a big win.