Sign in to follow this  
eoslover

New Era - consumer cameras that are shooting at very high frame rates like 120fps in HD

There were all the rumors about GH3 that gonna shoot 720p @ 120 fps like LX7 and FZ200 but unfortunately Panasonic decided to turn it down.

Ever since LX7 became the very first pocketable camera that shoot 720p @ 120fps, CES 2013 panasonic just announced 20x zoom ZS30 that can shoot 720 @ 120fps. YES! which means you can literally get similar high speed quality from FZ200 which can perfectly fit in your POCKET.

samples below to view the quality of FZ200 in high speed recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0tL-TC8FGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8R1tcs-qF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6V0LJTuhhY

I am quite certain that the camera industry is actually capable of making consumer cameras to film 1080p 120fps NOW but they decided to delay it for marketing purposes. I am so keen to see an incredible pocket camera like RX100 that can shoot at such level if http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/23/aptina-unveils-1-inch-sensor-with-120fps-1080p-video-likely-for-nikon/ is true.

All the cameras I mentioned above cost around $300-600.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

cool.  thanks for sharing.  on the consumer level hopefully the optics when max zoomed don't suffer from some noticeable chromatic aberration, especially at high frame rates

cool.  thanks for sharing.  on the consumer level hopefully the optics when max zoomed don't suffer from some noticeable chromatic aberration, especially at high frame rates

It is inevitable that these point and shoot tiny sensor cameras will have noticeable chromatic aberration.

Sony is going to release its Full Frame Nex in the coming year, its definitely going to be huge and epic. However, I am quite certain that such form factor will not be allowed to shoot some 240fps at HD or even 120fps as it would seriously hurt the sales of FS700.

Yes the FZ200 only does high speed at VGA resolution of 640*480. There's usually one component in the mix of current cameras designed to prevent hacking for high-speed shooting, such as buffer, AD speed, heat dissipation etc etc, as manufacturers are well aware of the hackers' abilities.

So yes they could make it for very little cost, but it's only competition that will force the hand. One company need to make the plunge and others will follow. Unfortunately, BMD had a good start in their niche (ultra-high image quality), but fell at the hurdle of actually building the things and getting them to people who've paid for them, and so it goes on.

There's no incentive for big player to compete with someone who can't actually deliver the product to users' hands reliably.

Sony don't mind giving even their relatively recent products a good kicking (F3 for example) and are also manufacturers of great sensors for Nikon and many others, so I'd have thought they'll be one of the first to do high speed cheaply and well.

Yes the FZ200 only does high speed at VGA resolution of 640*480. There's usually one component in the mix of current cameras designed to prevent hacking for high-speed shooting, such as buffer, AD speed, heat dissipation etc etc, as manufacturers are well aware of the hackers' abilities.

I would stay away from shooting VGA resolution, the videos above are all FZ200 - 1280*720 HD resolution at 120fps.

Andrew did mention that he loved his FZ200, just wondering if he had any footages on hands and how he thinks about this subject  :)

In CES last week, Panasonic announced the new Travel Zoom series flagship model - TZ40 aka ZS30. According to the spec of its official website, it's going to shoot 720p, 120fps like FZ200. It's going to be the first pocketable ultra zoom camera that can shoot at such high speed.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By zoombeam
      The original SLR 12mm for micro four thirds.  Built in hood.  Mint.  Box is intact.  Comes with original caps and hood.  $300.00+ shipping.
    • By Ingerson
      Well, it’s been 8 months since I completed this and almost a year since I promised @mercer to post it once completed

I don’t really know what to say about this, it’s my first short and I wanted to try this medium after trying music, photography, drawing/painting and all sorts of writing in order to figure out myself and my depression.

It took me months to complete due to my mental state and lack of energy and I intended to post this sooner, but life can be a little too much sometimes. Or very often in my case.

Even though it was the hardest creative thing I’ve done in my life, (despite having a background or experience in most of the separate artforms that make up a film) I was really lost in the entire process and I developed love/hate relationship to it. I wanted to quit all the time when I wrote it, when prepping, when shooting and during the long, motivational drainage that is editing.

But I guess that’s also where the love was born. No matter all the mistakes I made, I could somehow save it and make a decent first short thanks to the editing by re-arranging the pieces I had. Throw away most of it, stretching what was left of it, slowing or speeding up some of it, playing some of it in reverse. Dubbing in new sound (needed, cause most of it was unusable. Note to self: Don’t forget sound!

I’ve tried to make another short since, but haven’t completed the shoot. I don’t know if I’ll finish that one, it’s just a silly comedy I made with my then girlfriend, now fiancée on my phone (This one was shot on the DVX200 before anyone asks, cameras are important on this forum apperantly, hehe) because she wanted me to make something less depressing, but I guess I’m just a gloomy guy, all my new ideas are based on my different malfunctions.

Hopefully I’ll work up enough energy to make another, I really want to.

Anyway, enough talking. I hope you’ll give this a go and give me some pointers, but go easy on me, okay?

Now, pick you poison:

https://vimeo.com/272702923

https://youtu.be/rsXdjH4I5YA

• By Thecryptolounge
      Rarely used this bad boy, mainly bought it for my wedding a couple years back. Other than that it’s in great condition. Will sell it with the battery and the 32GB SD.
      Askig: $700

• By Martin Facci
      Selling Panasonic GH5s
      It's almost new. 
      Only used on a few works as a B Camera. Really well taken care off.
      It includes original box, manuals and everything that comes with it.
      The price also includes.
      - Tilta Cage with baseplate and top handle
      - 3x Battery
      - 2x Charger
      - 2x DC-Coupler D-TAP
      Retail New Price 2700€ / OBO
      Selling Price 1900€ / OBO
      Ships from Spain, preferly to Europe but could send Worldwide if sellers pays the free
      Pics here:
      https://imgur.com/a/nUtmJZV
      More info or photos to
      [email protected]

• By thebrothersthre3
      $430 + $10 shipping

Make me an offer
      Selling my Panasonic GX85.

Perfect condition. I've had it for a year. Used it to film a wedding, a party, and home video throughout the year (camping, birthdays).
      Comes with a Lens Turbo II speedbooster, Nikon mount. This gives you a wider field of view closer to full frame.
      Also comes with #3 batteries and a dual charger.

Anyone who shoots Panasonic knows their cameras have very high image quality. 4k as well as HD up to 60fps. Also has very good IBIS, great to use with manual lenses.