Sony RX100 IV review – with 1080p this good, 4K is merely a bonus

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wow!

Amazing! The stabilization seems great! 

Just few questions, because I really enjoyed it from your video: is it the 120fps better then the 96 from GH4?
Is the LOG (as final file) better then the Cine-D or the V-Log L from GH4? 
How about battery life? 

Of course it's not possible to use my old lenses on it, but it seems just beatiful and it could be very useful in a lot of situations! 

• Administrators

Just few questions, because I really enjoyed it from your video: is it the 120fps better then the 96 from GH4?
Is the LOG (as final file) better then the Cine-D or the V-Log L from GH4?

Way better quality than 96fps on the GH4. No moire or aliasing and much more detailed.

LOG better than Cine-D. Not sure if it is better than V-LOG L yet, I still haven't got round to trying that.

Battery life is pretty good, no worries there. Though GH4 obviously being a much bigger camera with large battery goes longer.

wonderful imagery as usual.  I'm really surprised how good it looks.  I recon it could be largely down to how well the lens has been optimised for the sensor.  I'd love to see a comparison between this and the bmpcc, both shooting log.

Thanks man. I was pleasantly surprised how good the colour and low light was from it too.

Was easy to grade... did minimal tweaks after putting the DELUT on.

Way better quality than 96fps on the GH4. No moire or aliasing and much more detailed.

LOG better than Cine-D. Not sure if it is better than V-LOG L yet, I still haven't got round to trying that.

Battery life is pretty good, no worries there. Though GH4 obviously being a much bigger camera with large battery goes longer.

Thanks man. I was pleasantly surprised how good the colour and low light was from it too.

Was easy to grade... did minimal tweaks after putting the DELUT on.

Wow!
I was really disappointed by V-Log L, it is far away from BMPCC flat file. 

In your opinion the RX's LOG is comparable to Blackmagic Pocket prores file?  

Is it possible to choose shutter speed and to use manual focus with peaking?

Huge thanks!

Hey Andrew,

The RX100 IV has an uncompressed micro-HDMI out up to 4K/30fps. Do you know if that's limited to 5 minutes as well? Can you try it if you have the Shogun at hand? Also could you check if it does FHD/120fps via the HDMI too?

Thank you.

Thanks for the review :)

I have the gh4 with a normal speedbooster and sigma 18-35mm 1.8. The sony have a best low light perfomance than my gh4? I want other cam with good low light performance and stabilization for interiors, the slow mo are welcome. My setup is not bad but sometimes I need stabilize some movement shots in post. You think this Sony is good for me? My other setup that I´m seeing is the panaosnic g7 with speedbooster ultra and the tamrom 35mm 1.8 VC with lens stabilization, but it's about 2000€. I can use too the gh4 with speedbooster ultra and the panasonic g7 with my normal speedbooster. You will review the g7 with speedbooster ultra?

Hey Andrew. You never got back to me telling me if their is a difference between the quality of Timeshoot Priority 240 fps and Quality Priority 480 fps mode. I know both these modes shoot at the same resolution but wondering if their is a difference. Also what 2.0X teleconverter do you recommned for sharp corners with the RX100 IV? 

is your eoshd log for sony a7x going to work also for sony rx00iv?

also: I tried to fit on it a Raynox 6600 pro wide angle 49mm converter through a 49mm ring adapter and besides the heavy vignetting at 24mm of the lens, the edge distortion was horrible. Anything to suggest there?

Great review and content as always Andrew.

How good is the autofocus? I am looking for something to capture family moments and my toddler growing up. I could get a camcorder but the RX100 IV offers a lot more. Also how well would it merge with Nikon D750 footage if I used the Sony as a B-Cam and locked it off on wides? Thanks.

Andrew,

If I understood you correctly, you shot movies in photo mode not in movie mode, right? I switched to dial to "S" mode and then I put AF-S (not continuous) autofocus. When I half-press the shutter it autofocuses very quick and then I hit record. Is that the best way you found to record video? BTW, in this mode, even though I set it to AF-S, the autofocus continously autofocuses everything. Could you further explain what are the benefits of shooting video in the photo mode? Thanks!