Improve your pocket 4k videos!

Lift-Up

I hope it works on the Excellent Nexus 6p phone. That one's sensor is an engineering masterpiece. I was blown away by the 240fps video. The camera can actually do 300fps, and the 720p looks IMHO as sharp as the one from the Sony cameras (RX10 ii and RX100 iv). Also, it can do RAW 35fps at 12.35MP, apart from 4k at 60p.

Can you provide a link to a valid source that indicates 4k60 and RAW 35fps? Everything I've read says 4k @ 30fps (I've not seen anything about the RAW burst)

If those features are true, then forget an NX1 or GH4! I will stick with a phone as my photography and filmmaking tool!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can you provide a link to a valid source that indicates 4k60 and RAW 35fps? Everything I've read says 4k @ 30fps (I've not seen anything about the RAW burst)

If those features are true, then forget an NX1 or GH4! I will stick with a phone as my photography and filmmaking tool!

Check the literature. The specs are most likelh understated. I don't believe the processor is causing those limitations. Also, this sensor is made for mobile phones as well as small sensor camcorders, so I am guessing its capability is a lot more. 

Downoad the 1st file. Also, check the 240 fps Hummingbird video (especially for its quality and sharpness). 

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/IS/sensor2/products/imx377.html

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9V3ZnRnq9U

Hey Cinema 4k App developer:

Please fix: I bought the full version with 1 google account, but when I added another account (as my primary account), the app keeps asking me to buy the full version again using my new account. If I remove the second account, then I can use the full version again. 

Basically, make the app check if ANY Google Play accounts on the phone have already purchased the full version, not just the Primary account. 

Also, you could add a boolean hasBeenActivated (or something like that) so that if the full version was activated at any point, it should set it to true so the app doesn't have to connect to internet and check with Google play every time it starts up. I am test driving my uncle's OnePlus 2 and I installed your app on the phone and bought the full version using credits I had, but when I remove my account so I can give him the phone, the app again asks to buy the full version.

Lastly, if you could add support for slowmo (1080p 60 & 120 and 720p 60, 120, & 240) this would become the absolute ultimate!

Thanks!

I love the app!! I've recommended it to and had 4 of my friends download it already!

Hi,

The complete licensing is managed by Google through their API. The license is connected to your Google Account and not to your device. This rule is defined by Google. You can use the purchased app on multiple devices, until you are using the same Google Account on them.

Please make sure that you have selected the right account (the account where you have purchased the app) in the Play Store while you are downloading and installing the app. This case the multiple accounts should not be a problem. I have tested it and works for me on a Galaxy S6.

Please let me know if it can fix your problem.

Regarding the slow motion: this is a bit tricky, because these modes usually are not implemented to be reached by camera2 API. This mode is different device-by-device and there is no common way to reach it. The different manufacturers put this option in their own camera app only.

Thanks,
Gabor 

Hi,

The complete licensing is managed by Google through their API. The license is connected to your Google Account and not to your device. This rule is defined by Google. You can use the purchased app on multiple devices, until you are using the same Google Account on them.

Please make sure that you have selected the right account (the account where you have purchased the app) in the Play Store while you are downloading and installing the app. This case the multiple accounts should not be a problem. I have tested it and works for me on a Galaxy S6.

Please let me know if it can fix your problem.

Regarding the slow motion: this is a bit tricky, because these modes usually are not implemented to be reached by camera2 API. This mode is different device-by-device and there is no common way to reach it. The different manufacturers put this option in their own camera app only.

Thanks,
Gabor 

Nokkor/ Gabor, 

Do you think the 4k Cinema App could be used on the Nexus 6p and the Moto X Pure devices? I wanna pick up some phones fpr actual film production. And these have some extra featues I want and like.

Thanks in advance. 

Hi,

I get what you're saying, but the problem I seem to be having is that I downloaded the app with a secondary account but the app seems to check only if the primary account has purchased the app. 

@nokker would it be possibly to add other resolutions like 4096x2160 (DCI 4K) and maybe 2560x1440? At least the first one?

Thanks!

I get what you're saying, but the problem I seem to be having is that I downloaded the app with a secondary account but the app seems to check only if the primary account has purchased the app. 

@nokker would it be possibly to add other resolutions like 4096x2160 (DCI 4K) and maybe 2560x1440? At least the first one?

Thanks!

looks like @nokker's suggestion worked, but the question still remains: if I want to remove my account from the OnePlus 2 so I can give it to my uncle (he doesn't need to see my emails! Lol) will the camera app still be fully registered?

• 3 weeks later...

This app is actually a FRAUD.

The so called 'increased dynamic range' is an absurd statement. I've noticed that you gain absolutely no additional information changing from normal to flat in low light. I then noticed that it would not happen with highlights. That got me curious.

What we can easily investigate is that this 'flat profile' option is just a mere filter, like the one people use to apply over jpeg's to post on Instagram.

What it ACTUALLY DOES is change the Exposure values (either shutter speed or ISO) in order to recover highlights and then apply some 'greyish' filter to give it a cinematic look. It happens in all situations. In low light is more visible, because it cannot go slower than the selected frame rate.

It is NOTHING like profile pictures such as Cinelike-D or S-log like the developer claims.

Try it yourselves. Turning the Flat Profile option alters the exposure parameters quite dramatically.

Take a look at this two frames and their crops.

I repeat. This is a FRAUD. Glad I didn't buy the full version.

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.54_[2015.11.03_14.16.18].jpg

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.55_[2015.11.03_14.16.25].jpg

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.54_[2015.11.03_14.16.18] - Copia.jpg

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.55_[2015.11.03_14.16.25] - Copia.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Someone said there where only static shots.

The biggest problem imo when shooting handheld is the ois. I wish it could be turned of. It wouldn't be a problem to handhold such a wide lens but the moving sensor makes everything woble.

In this video there is plenty of handheld footage. It starts roughly at 2:30.

Colors from those city shots are really nice imo.

Are the action shots warp stabilized or anything? There's a terrible wobble in the image....

What it ACTUALLY DOES is change the Exposure values (either shutter speed or ISO) in order to recover highlights and then apply some 'greyish' filter to give it a cinematic look. It happens in all situations. In low light is more visible, because it cannot go slower than the selected frame rate.

I'm not sure I understand the criticism.

In fact I never fully understood why people applied a log profile, when they started with 8bit data and the result produced by the codec is also 8bit.  All you get is gray blacks.  Even if you have access to 12 bit sensor data, "log profiling" means little more than choosing the range of bits you finally encode, clipping either top or bottom or throwing away some of the intermediate bits.  "Gaining information" is hardly possible - when the output is 8bit, your information content is 8 bits per pixel per color - unless you apply some compression of course - then it's even less!

Check the literature. The specs are most likelh understated. I don't believe the processor is causing those limitations. Also, this sensor is made for mobile phones as well as small sensor camcorders, so I am guessing its capability is a lot more. 

Downoad the 1st file. Also, check the 240 fps Hummingbird video (especially for its quality and sharpness). 

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/IS/sensor2/products/imx377.html

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U9V3ZnRnq9U

Of course it mostly processing power and bus speed that impose the limitation.  According to specs, the sensor can deliver 4000x3000 pixels x12 bit x 35 fps. 

Thats probably concerning the pixel values which will case a bit rate of 4000x3000x12x35~5Gbit/s.  This goes into some image processing unit to de-bayer and produce color information. Maybe the spec is also already for color information, in which case you would triple the rate to 15Gbit/s.  Reading RAW means to preserve that information and write to storage. Compare SD card and bus speed rates  and you'll notice you are in deep trouble.

The so called 'increased dynamic range' is an absurd statement. I've noticed that you gain absolutely no additional information changing from normal to flat in low light. I then noticed that it would not happen with highlights. That got me curious.

What we can easily investigate is that this 'flat profile' option is just a mere filter, like the one people use to apply over jpeg's to post on Instagram.

It is NOTHING like profile pictures such as Cinelike-D or S-log like the developer claims.

Try it yourselves. Turning the Flat Profile option alters the exposure parameters quite dramatically.

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.54_[2015.11.03_14.16.18].jpg

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.55_[2015.11.03_14.16.25].jpg

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.54_[2015.11.03_14.16.18] - Copia.jpg

C4K_20151102_193708[1].mp4_snapshot_00.55_[2015.11.03_14.16.25] - Copia.jpg

Maybe you need a better monitor to start with. In the frame grabs themselves that you have posted, one can notice more details in the flat profiles. 

Also, to be able to appreciate the added dynamic range you have to see it in the grading panel, and see whether highlights or shadows have been clipped.

Check the video below. Also, please test the app in depth first. And post the results you see, for everyone.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5Oh6jT5Ek

• 7 months later...

OK.  Seriously impressed.  I've spent days looking at video apps and have purchased many for my Galaxy Note 5.  This one seems to be more capable than anything I've seen.  I haven't seen 200mbps or the ability to set fps and shutter speed independly for a video app before.  Also, the dynamic range in 4k is as good as Samsung stock camera app 1080p with HDR enabled.  That's a good accomplishment in itself.  Couple that with bumping up the blacks to a flat profile for less macro blocking is very nice.  How far we can stretch that back to black without banding, I haven't tried yet.  Thank you for posting about this!

On 11/3/2015 at 3:22 AM, Paulo said:

You should give it another test in good light where you still have underexposed areas in your shot.  Your test was far from ideal.  Second, yes, I agree this app does not improve the dynamic range, however, by providing high bitrates and a flat profile, it pushes the black to a gray, and this helps the codec to not group all the black and nearly black pixels into one macro-block cluster.  So although you are not getting more dynamic range, you should get more usable dynamic range but only when there is enough light.  However, if you know how to get the most out of your camera already, the gain is really small to zero when it comes to dynamic range or usable dynamic range.  For others that haven't already found other apps (such as Open Camera that lets me shoot 4K HDR on my Note 5/Exynos which doesn't work on Note 5/Snapdragon) that lets their phone do 4K and get the full dynamic range in their videos before finding this app, this app should do a lot for them.  

I still like the high bitrate.  I have some other apps that lets me choose 100mb/sec, but it always just shot at 50mb/sec because there's a camera firmware limitation.  However, this app gets around it and provides true 200mb/sec recording, and I do think it make a difference.

Another amazing thing about this app is that it gives me manual focus while recording so I can do slow manual focus pull effects while recording when I couldn't before with any app I've seen for my Note 5.  I think that by itself is worth a few bucks.

• 1 month later...

I just bought Cinema4k for my Samsung Galaxy S6. Is there any way to tell if I have got the full version? Google Play Store says that there are in-app-purchases available but I can not find those.

Regarding focus on the S6: Is tab-to-focus-AF possible? It seems that there is only AF (where I do not even know where the camera puts the focus) and MF. The standard camera of the S6 provides tab-to-focus AF though.