A6000 color vs canon Color

BrorSvensson

So as you guys heard from previous posts, im looking into getting a a6000 but i have one last question: With my nex 7 i wasn't very happy with the colors that came out of it, i was really dissatisfied compared to my old 600d with cinestyle. Did the a6000 improve in this aspect? Can i get the footage flater than portrait - 3 -3 -3 on nex 7?

Thanks in advance

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The one thing Canon excels at is their color science. I don't have hands on experience with the A6000 but I'd expect you'd have to put some effort in color correction. I used to own a A56. The photo's I made with it had nice colors but when I switched to video all the colors turned into mud. I had to do large corrections in post with heavy banding as a result. But from what I've read things have improved greatly since then.

i've read some juicy rumors about the A7000. Think A6000 but with internal 4K and the latest sensor tech. But it will take about six months before it's released and according to the rumors it will be significantly more expensive.

Even though I was disappointed with Sony back then, right now I find them one of the most interesting camera manufacturers to follow.

I guess it`s the "canon has best colors" week on eosHD :)

I did do some grading of the a6000 footage and I could get everything just the way I wanted, except for the green of the grass...very minor, could have fixed it if I tried a bit harder but it wasn`t paid enought :) and some of the footage was heavily overexposed. that brings me to another point: I could recover alot of over and underexposed footage, that I could not with a canon. My budget setup next month will be this camera, a speedbooster and a tokina at-x 28-80.

I have the a5100 and shoot only in the x-avc s codec. My other camera is the eos-m. From my limited experience using the a5100, I've only had it a few weeks, I have found that the image is much flatter using the portrait profile -3, 0, -3 on the Sony than it is using prolost flat profile on my eos-m. But it is much easier grading the Canon footage for real world color.

I have the a5100 and shoot only in the x-avc s codec. My other camera is the eos-m. From my limited experience using the a5100, I've only had it a few weeks, I have found that the image is much flatter using the portrait profile -3, 0, -3 on the Sony than it is using prolost flat profile on my eos-m. But it is much easier grading the Canon footage for real world color.

What profile are/were you using on the Canon?

The canon has better colours argument is a myth.  It's simply that people haven't become accustomed to how to set their sony cameras up properly.   If i take an auto white balance picture as a jpeg out of the A7R and compare it to a jpeg from a 5dmk3 the 5d looks nicer.  But if i process the image, the a7r image smokes the 5dmk3 image.  With careful adjustment of the wb - temperature + the cyan/magenta etc adjustment a sony can be made to look like a canon and vice versa.  

The canon has better colours argument is a myth.  It's simply that people haven't become accustomed to how to set their sony cameras up properly.   If i take an auto white balance picture as a jpeg out of the A7R and compare it to a jpeg from a 5dmk3 the 5d looks nicer.  But if i process the image, the a7r image smokes the 5dmk3 image.  With careful adjustment of the wb - temperature + the cyan/magenta etc adjustment a sony can be made to look like a canon and vice versa.  

I have never used higher end Sony or Canon cameras, so I can only base my experience with the t2i/eos-m vs NEX 3N/a5100. And from that experience I think the Canon colors require much less work to get true to life colors. Even a simple FCPX preset will grade the Canon nicely with one click, and the Sony is not as easy, but I really like Sony colors, it's just not as simple to get true to life. 

I think people spent a lot of time plumbing the depths of Canon's picture profiles and settings when Canon was our only choice, so we found the best possible settings (or at least a range of good settings) through trial and error. People aren't going through that same process with the newer Sony and Panasonic cams, then they're disappointed when they don't get comparable results. What did you expect? You didn't put in the effort. The only guy I see really going into all the different picture profiles and color settings on all his cameras is Nick Driftwood. Maybe Brandon Li, too. 

The canon has better colours argument is a myth.  It's simply that people haven't become accustomed to how to set their sony cameras up properly.   If i take an auto white balance picture as a jpeg out of the A7R and compare it to a jpeg from a 5dmk3 the 5d looks nicer.  But if i process the image, the a7r image smokes the 5dmk3 image. 

How do you explain this topic? 10 months is not enough to setup a camera?

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9028-fun-story-a7r-5d-iii/

Besides, we are not talking about stills here (where the colors are debatable when shooting RAW) but video. It is absolutely clear to anyone with eyeballs that the 5dmarkIII does color better than the current Sony competitors. Sony is very good with sickly green/yellow though, they really nail them (Yes, I've used the A7s now for 9 days straight and I hate it, unless it's night) What's this magical setting you use that makes everything brilliant? It ain't any of the cinemodes, that's for sure.

How do you explain this topic? 10 months is not enough to setup a camera?

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/9028-fun-story-a7r-5d-iii/

Besides, we are not talking about stills here (where the colors are debatable when shooting RAW) but video. It is absolutely clear to anyone with eyeballs that the 5dmarkIII does color better than the current Sony competitors. Sony is very good with sickly green/yellow though, they really nail them (Yes, I've used the A7s now for 9 days straight and I hate it, unless it's night) What's this magical setting you use that makes everything brilliant? It ain't any of the cinemodes, that's for sure

9 days straight?  Not enough time.  You prove my point.  A guy who spends 9 days on something and decides to disregard it because he can't get good results.  There are so many people with this mentality. they go straight for s-log or another picture profile without understanding how to get the best from them.

other than subjectivity, please tell me what's wrong with the colours here?  I see nothing wrong with them at all, and I did little to the picture in post 

well, I`m sorry but the skin looks bad...there is a green cast in all of the lighter tones, or is it my screen?

Please post up an example of your own which shows 'good' skin tones.  I seen no green cast here, or nothing that wasn't there in real life.

Please post up an example of your own which shows 'good' skin tones.  I seen no green cast here, or nothing that wasn't there in real life.

Color IS subjective. Canons push reds, Sonys lean towards a cooler image. All can be adjusted in post to look however you please. 

as I said, maybe it`s my screen, but there are green casts in the skin.

this is something that I graded...it was shot with a7s, rx mk3, 550d and a gopro. I think that the 550d shots turned out the best.

The only thing worse than Americans acting like Americans, is Europeans acting like Americans.