Too Many Lenses?

mercer

Yeah, not my thing either! I'm glad that when I bought them the aperture equiped adapter was available.

Again it was a little pricey from RJ Camera, but definitely worth it to have so many lenses with such a small footprint.

I'll get some footage/screen grabs from this combo up soon

I have not had any of the pentax K stuff, I've had a decent ammount of the K mount stuff, mostly the M's, but not the K's. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, not my thing either! I'm glad that when I bought them the aperture equiped adapter was available.

Again it was a little pricey from RJ Camera, but definitely worth it to have so many lenses with such a small footprint.

I'll get some footage/screen grabs from this combo up soon

I have not had any of the pentax K stuff, I've had a decent ammount of the K mount stuff, mostly the M's, but not the K's. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled

The K versions are very nice. A little pricier than the Ms but they are a little bigger, I think a 52mm filter size. Basically SMC versions of their Takumar lenses in an M bodies.

I am thinking about getting the G7, I wonder how the 110 lenses would resolve in 4K. 

I think the 110s are plenty sharp enough wide open, but I have heard they get even more so when stopped down, with a little more contrast. Is that your experience with them?

What is some tips for search terms to use on eBay for finding 110 lenses, or how should I go about buying them on the cheap?

Haha, most of them are on the cheap. You should be able to get all of their lenses for less than a hundred, definitely less than a hundred and fifty, if you're patient.

There's an 18mm, an 18mm pan focus (which is unnecessary because the 18mm is practically always in focus anyway), a 20-40mm push/pull zoom, a 24mm, a 50mm and a 70mm.

The regular adapters run about 20 dollars each but the lenses do not have apertures because it was built into the cameras. I used step up rings and fader nd filters to darken the image.

Kevin informed us of the existence of an adapter with a built in aperture, from RJ camera, it costs 75 bucks, but I read from their site that the adapter won't work with 70mm.

So with adapters you could easily get the entire set for 200, 250. If you read the reviews, and I will confirm... The best lenses of the lot are the 18mm and the 50mm. You can probably get both of them for less than 50. In fact, I think there's an 18mm on eBay now for $18 or best offer plus shipping... Which is a great price.

I'd still pick up the 24mm, it's a decent little lens, little being the key word... This thing is tiny... They all are.

Also, you will probably need some kind of lens focus lever, if you pull focus. I have one of those silicone bottle cap openers that were popular a few years back, but a zip tie would probably work as well.

Sorry for the long winded answer.

Just search Pentax 110 lenses. Or more specific Pentax 110 18mm, Pentax 110 24mm... Etc. 

I have a set of Cosmicar c-mount lenses, the older f1.9 versions, that I bought to use with my Pentax Q7, for fun, and with the possibility of using them on the Pocket cam if I get one, supposedly they don't need modification. Anyway, do you guys think Blackmagic will drop the price of the pocket cam again? I should have bought it last summer but I hesitated... Bad move on my part. I originally was going to buy 3 and hopefully sell the other two and get one for free. 20/20 right. 

• Super Members

...Anyway, do you guys think Blackmagic will drop the price of the pocket cam again? I should have bought it last summer but I hesitated... Bad move on my part. I originally was going to buy 3 and hopefully sell the other two and get one for free. 20/20 right. 

​You could buy a used one. I just bought one in mint condition with 7 batteries and a cheap Panasonic lens (didn't even ask which one) for 50% of the pockets current retail price.
Also now when a brand new BMCC MFT is $1800 here the used prices on those are dropping fast. I have an offer of $1200 including a dock and an SSD.

And when the URSA mini and Micro comes out it will be even better times for us that likes to buy used :)

​You could buy a used one. I just bought one in mint condition with 7 batteries and a cheap Panasonic lens (didn't even ask which one) for 50% of the pockets current retail price.Also now when a brand new BMCC MFT is $1800 here the used prices on those are dropping fast. I have an offer of $1200 including a dock and an SSD.

And when the URSA mini and Micro comes out it will be even better times for us that likes to buy used :)

​I looked on eBay, a couple weeks ago and the used ones were going for around $700. But sure, if I could find one for 500... 
I'll definitely be on the look out. thanks. I was hoping Blackmagic may want to get rid of some of their inventory, due to the Micro coming out, but who knows, they may not want to drop the price in fear the price drop will eat into any possible micro sales.

the Penatx 110 lenses are superb - very cinematic in their look - I've written alot of posts about them on this forum over the years -

I also add small washers onto the back of the lenses to stop them down (using blutack) this works a treat and also get a set of ND filters for them ....you can get them to fit these tiny lenses then you can shoot ourside full wide open at f2.8 - it doesnt get any more cinematic than that if you tried!!

Also stick some nylon fishing wire in the adaptor vertically behind the lens and you can turn them into anamorphic style lenses with ;loads of blue horizontal streak flare !!

the Penatx 110 lenses are superb - very cinematic in their look - I've written alot of posts about them on this forum over the years -

I also add small washers onto the back of the lenses to stop them down (using blutack) this works a treat and also get a set of ND filters for them ....you can get them to fit these tiny lenses then you can shoot ourside full wide open at f2.8 - it doesnt get any more cinematic than that if you tried!!

Also stick some nylon fishing wire in the adaptor vertically behind the lens and you can turn them into anamorphic style lenses with ;loads of blue horizontal streak flare !!

​Whaaat... Could you elaborate about the fishing wire? This sounds amazing but I'm not sure I am following. Does the fishing wire help to create the streaks or do you use it to create the anamorphic framing? With that kind of ingenuity, you should invent a speedbooster for them.

But yes, these lenses are fantastic. When I bought my t2i, I didn't know any better so I picked up the 50mm. When I realize they weren't adaptable I put it in the closet... it was so cheap. That lens and a Minolta 50mm MD I got new (also thinking I could use it on my t2i) were the reasons I decided to go mirrorless.

Btw, how do you think the 110 lenses will resolve in 4K with the new G7? There shouldn't be an issue, right?

• Super Members

​I looked on eBay, a couple weeks ago and the used ones were going for around $700. But sure, if I could find one for 500... I'll definitely be on the look out. thanks. I was hoping Blackmagic may want to get rid of some of their inventory, due to the Micro coming out, but who knows, they may not want to drop the price in fear the price drop will eat into any possible micro sales.

You could easily get one for $500. But not by browsing ebay unless you are very lucky.

Best way imo and what I did is to place a wanted ad on a forum or other local place and just say what you want and what you're willing to pay  :)

There is always someone in the need to sell stuff. Same with all cameras and lenses. That's why I go used. Even a new camera like for example a a7ii can be had for almost half if bought used.

​I definitely read some of your posts before Buying mine Andy! 

i'm very glad I got them. They're great.

The K versions are very nice. A little pricier than the Ms but they are a little bigger, I think a 52mm filter size. Basically SMC versions of their Takumar lenses in an M bodies.

I am thinking about getting the G7, I wonder how the 110 lenses would resolve in 4K. 

I think the 110s are plenty sharp enough wide open, but I have heard they get even more so when stopped down, with a little more contrast. Is that your experience with them?

​Yes, that's a pretty good summary of it. I'm still working to get the best out of them on the pocket, but have really liked them so far.

I think they're a perfect match.

I've just gotten step up rings and everything to leave on them all the time. 

Now I need to try them using my IR cut filter to get the best out of the pocket

What is some tips for search terms to use on eBay for finding 110 lenses, or how should I go about buying them on the cheap?

​I bought mine as a set. The auto 110 body and flash,with the 18, 24 and 50mms.

It's definitely cheaper to buy them all together like that. Look for lots.

You could easily get one for $500. But not by browsing ebay unless you are very lucky.

Best way imo and what I did is to place a wanted ad on a forum or other local place and just say what you want and what you're willing to pay  :)

There is always someone in the need to sell stuff. Same with all cameras and lenses. That's why I go used. Even a new camera like for example a a7ii can be had for almost half if bought used.

Good idea, I never thought of that. Put it out into the universe...

Matthias, quick off topic question. I came across your footage of the eos-m with ml raw. I thought it looked great. It has that iq of 70s television. Right now, the eos-m is my main camera. I am looking to upgrade to either a G7 or the pocket but I still am planning a project with the eos-m. I never really thought of shooting raw with it but once again, your footage looks great... Why aren't you making feature films? So, I just was curious your overall experience with the raw capabilities and eos-m? Is it true it records no sound whatsoever? If so, it would obviously be very difficult to synch sound? Or can you do time code with it?

• Super Members

Matthias, quick off topic question. I came across your footage of the eos-m with ml raw. I thought it looked great. It has that iq of 70s television. Right now, the eos-m is my main camera. I am looking to upgrade to either a G7 or the pocket but I still am planning a project with the eos-m. I never really thought of shooting raw with it but once again, your footage looks great... Why aren't you making feature films? So, I just was curious your overall experience with the raw capabilities and eos-m? Is it true it records no sound whatsoever? If so, it would obviously be very difficult to synch sound? Or can you do time code with it?

​No sound thats correct. You would have to externaly record audio and synk it visualy to a clap.

But imo the raw on the eos-m is just to much hassle. Its not as easy as with a pocket and the resolution is low. Regular good old fashion Canon AVCHD is good enough.
Its a shame because I love Raw and its the only codec I currently use.

​No sound thats correct. You would have to externaly record audio and synk it visualy to a clap.

But imo the raw on the eos-m is just to much hassle. Its not as easy as with a pocket and the resolution is low. Regular good old fashion Canon AVCHD is good enough.
Its a shame because I love Raw and its the only codec I currently use.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I do have to reiterate though. I am really a fan of your work. You are getting some good, quality imagery out of these cameras. Are there any future plans for a feature film or narrative work?

Also, if you were on a tight budget, which camera would you recommend... BMPCC or the G7 (knowing what we know about it) ?

Honestly, if the M3 was a little cheaper. I would consider upgrading to that because I would love to have focus peaking without ML. 

Either way I am going to shoot a project with the eos-m, but I would like to get a better camera soon so I can familiarize myself with it as I may have back to back projects on the horizon.