Blackmagic New Products Update - 13th April 2024 17:00 BST

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

Only a couple of hours of speculation/prediction time left.

Maybe this will finally be the year they boxify the cinema cameras that everyone has been asking for ?

Or an actual fits in your pocket cinema camera ?

4K ATEM Mini ?

I'm guessing there will be a live stream posted on their site at that time.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, they've definetely got a new camera coming. The 'Ursa Cine'. I'd imagine they will also announce other new hardware, the next Resolve, and software for the pocket cameras.

Ursa Cine seems to have PL mount and some kind of wireless features judging from the antenna. I wouldn't be surprised if it was built with camera to cloud and all that stuff in mind. Also USB-C on the front? I doubt that's for an SSD, so maybe powered focus motor or something?

image.thumb.png.3374a973656f92b12711071e0c7c9574.png.image.png.c87fdee39db7e0d0d01d738309154d82.png

Improbable predictions:

• BMD will announce that they have been acquired by Ricoh/Pentax
  • Resolve will be fully dropping support for BRAW and adopting ProRes RAW
  • New DaVinci Resolve Nano Panel with only a single trackball and no sliders/knobs/buttons
  • New DaVinci Resolve Pico Panel with just a single small button that can only order pizza from Dominos.  What flavor of pizza?  It'll be a surprise every time.
  • Black Magic Cloud is merging with frame.io so that customers will only have to pay one subscription fee to share with people on either system
  • Based on strong sales of the UM12K, there will now be a UM36K which uses a beam splitter and 3 copies of the UM12K sensor for each of the R, G, and B channels similar to 3-chip camcorders of the past
  • New AI assist camera module that detects if you aren't recording in BM raw - and if not, a small robot version of Grant Petty jumps out and punches the user in the groin until the camera settings are updated

Ursa Cine looks like a huge upgrade over UM12K - and priced to match.  $15k for the base package.

They kept 12K, but went full frame.  It has much better DR and even though they didn't mention it (or if they did, I missed it), RS looked pretty good in their example footage.  Media is up to 16 lanes of NVMe.  I think Grant mentioned that the camera will come with an 8TB module which is made up of 4 separate drives (each with 4 lanes of NVMe).  The camera also has 10gE for output.
As far as why there's a USB-C on the front, it's actually for the EVF which connects by a single cable.

Oh, hey!  They finally released a box camera.  Pyxis 6K which uses the same sensor, apparently, as their full frame BMPCC.  Pyxis is compatible with the Ursa accessories including the USB EVF.

Does this mean I'm actually going to want a Black Magic camera for the first time since the original BMCC?  It might.  Let's see the price...

The Pyxis looks good. No mention of global shutter so probably has rolling shutter of some amount.

The thing I'm intrigued by is the USB-C EVF. I find out now this has already been out but I wasn't aware of it. Can it be hacked so it can accept HDMI and used on other cameras?

My interest in Pyxis dropped a lot when the price was $3k.  Maybe I'll get more interested in it again when it's on the used market for half the price.  😄

Without how they're sending the video signal over USB-C, it's hard to know if it could be hacked to work with other cameras - but if you want an EVF to use with other cameras, I'd suggest just getting the Z Cam or Portkeys one.  The one from Z Cam also can act as a video transmitter so another thing that you don't have to have hanging off of your kit.

18 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

Without how they're sending the video signal over USB-C, it's hard to know if it could be hacked to work with other cameras - but if you want an EVF to use with other cameras, I'd suggest just getting the Z Cam or Portkeys one.  The one from Z Cam also can act as a video transmitter so another thing that you don't have to have hanging off of your kit.

Yeah likely some type of Thunderbolt protocol likely to have both power and video signals through it. Just a guess.

The Z-Cam one and most of the Portrays EVFs are just small LCD monitors with loupes. The Oeye-Red EVF is more like what I'm thinking. 

Wow, what a set of releases! The Resolve 19 presentation was pretty amazing. The audio panning tool in particular looked pretty sweet. Overall, I find the Fairlight tab to be rather unusable. Compared to Reaper, it's much harder to see large projects particularly compared to Reaper's amazing keyframe visualization and track parenting. So I'm probably going to stick with Reaper for large audio projects.

And then on the visual side, a whole slew of AI based tools that look like a lot of fun. Some of the tracking tools looked pretty great, as do the new color plugins.

Ursa Cine looks like a pretty sweet camera. I like the USB EVF solving both power and data at once, without proprietary connectors. I wish/hope that there can be an open standard for it, so other manufacturers can make interchangeable EVFs in that system. I can't say I'm that enthusiastic about the data rates required for 12k, but I guess it's the future. The footage looks good in any case. I'm glad they switched back to a larger, 5" 1080p screen, up from the rather smaller and lower res one on the UMP models. The screen on the old Ursa Mini 4K was nice to use. I'm a little confused on the media drives. I can't tell if they are off the shelf, user-replaceable M.2 cards (that's how it looks) or something more proprietary (which is what Grant Petty implied verbally). I'm intrigued by the USB ports along the right side, for "3rd party accessories".

The Pyxis looks alright. I'm a little disappointed that they kept the 6k sensor from the previous camera, but it's what I expected. Keeping the accessory ecosystem from the Ursa Cine is great. I love the interchangeable side panel. For $3k, I don't think I would buy it over the Z Cam F6, with the main points being higher frame rate, H.265 options, interchangeable lens mount with eND option, and builtin wireless monitoring. I think the points in BM's favor are the screen, physical buttons, XLR connector, color, SDI, and timecode. Of those, color is the only one that I really care about and I don't know if it's that much better to justify the other cons.