This is a recent short that I did. My wife and I were originally making it to use as a sort of announcement that we were having a baby (only our immediate family knew about it) but I also wanted it to stand alone as a fun little short. After shooting the bulk of the footage my wife went into labor the next day so we had to do all of the quick zoom/close-up shots weeks after. Better late than never!

Since I was unfortunately in the video, I had to rely on my wife for shooting most of it and when we couldn't operate the camera ourselves, we called over my Dad and a friend in the middle of the night to help us shoot. All three of them had absolutely zero experience shooting anything and as a testament to the NX1, they all learned the basics of the camera reasonably quickly.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Your wife is a great sport! Great look you got out of this, especially with the limited "crew". Animal work is actually surprisingly fun and well done, you should get them work on other sets.  One thing I would work on is you are hanging on shots to long in the edit. Like the shot were you approach the front door, you hold on the door far to long before you come into frame. For a further example: When your dog barks to draw attention for the phone charger, you hold on him when you should immediately cut to your reaction, then the shot of your grabbing the charger should have less frames in the front and tail end of edit. Multiple instances of that happening. Those added pauses make me aware of the shot when I shouldn't be.

Thanks for showing it!

Geoff, thank you so much for not just watching but also taking the time to give me some excellent feedback! I can definitely see what you're talking about, that I hang on shots too long. That's a problem I've had in some of my other work. I need to get more sensitive to that detail. We had a lot of fun working with the dogs (most of the time) but it was definitely a time consuming process to include them. I'll just say that I don't think my dog, the bigger of the two, had any trouble getting into character. And my wife...she is insanely patient and tolerant of the things I pull her into.

I'm going to revisit this project and see if I can tighten it up a bit more in the edit!

Thank you again Geoff!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By neosushi
      Hi everyone, first of all I am based in France and I can ship anywhere in the EU.
      I am one of the earliest adopters of the Samsung NX1 in France, I remember ordering one the day Andrew posted his first video with the NX1. I then went to get an NX500 when it came out too. This has been my primary system since then so it will have signs of wear as I have used it a lot. And I can also state that this thing works flawlessly. It is amazing, I have played with almost every other camera out there and nothing gives as much pleasure as this one. That being said it it now time for me to part with it so here it is :
      Pictures : https://ibb.co/album/detwva

Cameras  :
      Samsung NX1 + 2 batteries 
      Samsung NX500 + 3 batteries

Lenses :
      Samsung :
      20mm F2.8 (perfect for gimbal work)
      45mm F1.8 (so light and fast !)
      85mm F1.4 (my favorite for portrait work)
      16-50mm S F2-2.8 (the best all rounder lens I have used !)
      50-200mm F4-5.6 (not my favorite, but useful and super light)
      Lensbaby :
      56mm F1.6 Macro Lensbaby Velvet 56 (it's a full manual lens with an amazing creamy / dreamy feeling when completely open. Past F4 it starts to be very sharp. It's also a great macro lens !)

Accessories :
      External NX battery charger.

M mount adaptor : This thing is insane : you can mount Leica M lenses on the Samsung NX1. It's crazy.

Ok so now the price : This is about 5.000€ worth of equipment when I bought it. I am selling for 2000€ (not negociating).
      I have not considered yet breaking appart the lot but maybe I will, so if you are interested in several items please let me know. If it's just for one lens, I will probably won't do it sorry

• By Daniel1977
      I am selling a used Samsung NX1 camera.
      The camera is in very good condition.
      The equipment is fully functional, without any damage, except the paint loss on the bottom of the screen.
      The set includes the original battery and lenses:
      20mm f / 2.8
      30mm f / 2.0
      60mm f / 2.8
      50-200mm I f / 4-5.6
      Lenses are working.
      Lenses have visible traces of use.
      I am interested in selling the presented set.

• By Ingerson
      Well, it’s been 8 months since I completed this and almost a year since I promised @mercer to post it once completed

I don’t really know what to say about this, it’s my first short and I wanted to try this medium after trying music, photography, drawing/painting and all sorts of writing in order to figure out myself and my depression.

It took me months to complete due to my mental state and lack of energy and I intended to post this sooner, but life can be a little too much sometimes. Or very often in my case.

Even though it was the hardest creative thing I’ve done in my life, (despite having a background or experience in most of the separate artforms that make up a film) I was really lost in the entire process and I developed love/hate relationship to it. I wanted to quit all the time when I wrote it, when prepping, when shooting and during the long, motivational drainage that is editing.

But I guess that’s also where the love was born. No matter all the mistakes I made, I could somehow save it and make a decent first short thanks to the editing by re-arranging the pieces I had. Throw away most of it, stretching what was left of it, slowing or speeding up some of it, playing some of it in reverse. Dubbing in new sound (needed, cause most of it was unusable. Note to self: Don’t forget sound!

I’ve tried to make another short since, but haven’t completed the shoot. I don’t know if I’ll finish that one, it’s just a silly comedy I made with my then girlfriend, now fiancée on my phone (This one was shot on the DVX200 before anyone asks, cameras are important on this forum apperantly, hehe) because she wanted me to make something less depressing, but I guess I’m just a gloomy guy, all my new ideas are based on my different malfunctions.

Hopefully I’ll work up enough energy to make another, I really want to.

Anyway, enough talking. I hope you’ll give this a go and give me some pointers, but go easy on me, okay?

Now, pick you poison:

https://vimeo.com/272702923

https://youtu.be/rsXdjH4I5YA

• By Petjo
      Hi
      I want to buy a NX-L speedboser to my Samsung NX1
      Regards Peter