Panasonic Q3 results :)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2023 at 8:32 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Some thoughts on what the Leica Q3 specs mean for Panasonic's next big mirrorless cameras

https://www.eoshd.com/news/new-leica-q3-points-to-future-panasonic-s1h-mark-ii-specs-such-as-8k-and-prores/

I realize I am the odd duck here, but I would love it if the S1H II gave us Adobe Cinema DNG at 6K via the USB cable to an external SSD. I doubt they will, but I remain hopeful. Panasonic seems to have shifted focus to the under 30 users, as evidenced with S5IIx sales results. But there are still a number of us old war horses who still love their cameras.

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2023 at 11:49 AM, Jim Russell said:

I realize I am the odd duck here, but I would love it if the S1H II gave us Adobe Cinema DNG at 6K via the USB cable to an external SSD. I doubt they will, but I remain hopeful. Panasonic seems to have shifted focus to the under 30 users, as evidenced with S5IIx sales results. But there are still a number of us old war horses who still love their cameras.

It would be nice to get Cinema DNG natively, however, at least one can get ProRes RAW and then convert it to Cinema DNG on the computer. 

Hopefully soem sort of licensing deal will be worked out to allow the native recording in Cinema DNG, if that is even possible. Better yet would be a large amount of INTERNAL storage that would allow people to capture at a much higher bitrate.

On 12/19/2023 at 3:49 AM, Jim Russell said:

Not an odd request at all!

These days it does seem that the preference is to go with ProresRAW or BRAW in order to get file sizes under control though, and after looking at the Sigma FP I can understand this trend because WOW, those data rates are just stratospheric!

One thing I'd dearly love for the manufacturers to offer is downsampled Cinema DNGs.  So, if you had a 6K sensor then you could choose 4K, 3K, 2.5K 2K, 1080p resolutions that were still the full sensor width.  This gives much of the benefits of both worlds.

6 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

It would be nice to get Cinema DNG natively, however, at least one can get ProRes RAW and then convert it to Cinema DNG on the computer. 

Hopefully soem sort of licensing deal will be worked out to allow the native recording in Cinema DNG, if that is even possible. Better yet would be a large amount of INTERNAL storage that would allow people to capture at a much higher bitrate.

Are you talking about internal storage like a small internal SSD inside the camera?  I have definitely noticed that many cameras record externally to SSD at much higher data rates than their card slots are able to muster.

Perhaps, and I know I'm being optimistic now, an open standard might emerge where NVME shaped SSDs in a slimline hard-case could be used as removable media via a slot.  Any camera that supported it would have the benefit of not requiring a fragile lump+cable to be attached, but the user would get the benefit of a fast drive.

16 minutes ago, kye said:

Not an odd request at all!

These days it does seem that the preference is to go with ProresRAW or BRAW in order to get file sizes under control though, and after looking at the Sigma FP I can understand this trend because WOW, those data rates are just stratospheric!

One thing I'd dearly love for the manufacturers to offer is downsampled Cinema DNGs.  So, if you had a 6K sensor then you could choose 4K, 3K, 2.5K 2K, 1080p resolutions that were still the full sensor width.  This gives much of the benefits of both worlds.

Are you talking about internal storage like a small internal SSD inside the camera?  I have definitely noticed that many cameras record externally to SSD at much higher data rates than their card slots are able to muster.

Perhaps, and I know I'm being optimistic now, an open standard might emerge where NVME shaped SSDs in a slimline hard-case could be used as removable media via a slot.  Any camera that supported it would have the benefit of not requiring a fragile lump+cable to be attached, but the user would get the benefit of a fast drive.

I am thinking about an NVME which is hard-wired to the camera's internal board. The write speeds would - as far as I understand - be potentially higher than an external SSD.

The one downside would probably be expense though, because faster speeds would mean bigger files, which would mean a bigger drive, which would mean more expensive (I guess, but I ain't no engineer).

43 minutes ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I am thinking about an NVME which is hard-wired to the camera's internal board. The write speeds would - as far as I understand - be potentially higher than an external SSD.

The one downside would probably be expense though, because faster speeds would mean bigger files, which would mean a bigger drive, which would mean more expensive (I guess, but I ain't no engineer).

The latest Samsung USB SSDs get 2000MB/s, which is 16,000Mbps. The BM 6K FF camera does 6144 x 3456 (6K) with Blackmagic RAW 3:1 at 323 MB/s for 30p, so 2000MB/s would be able to do 10810 x 6080 at 60p.  

Of course, that's BRAW, but I don't think it being a removable drive would be the bottleneck.  Also, if it was removable, not only could you swap them out in the field, but over time when the SSDs got larger / cheaper you'd be able to benefit from that progress.

Something I’d welcome would be combined battery and SSD grips as in here is your basic body with 1 or 2 card slots and here’s your ‘pro’ version with twice the battery power and an SSD. 

Or for those that would prefer not to have a ‘larger’ grip, a non-battery, SSD grip that is more slimline.

I think the YAGH thing that was released with the GH4 being a flop might make Panasonic a bit gun-shy on trying another add-on grip accessory. Costs them money not only to design and manufacture the unit, but also raises the cost of all the camera bodies as you have to add the connection. Although maybe now with having USB-C, that could be the connection, and the body cost wouldn't have to increase.