63.7 megapixel raw with the E-M5 II - and finally 24p at 77Mbit!

Andrew Reid

Yes, I know you can't make gradual changes but in my kind of work I often need to make fast and small changes in either iso or f-stop as there is a lot of run and gun involved but I cut those changes out in the edit, a nd filter will work but becomes a issue when shooting inside a darker place. It's that 5 axis stabilization I have been craving for a long time as that would make my work a lot easier, I had plans on getting a 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron but for less money I could get a em5 and a 45MM F/1.8, optically not so good but just the thought I could shoot that combo handheld is too good to be true. If only I could control exposure in a better way :), guess it either will be waiting for a firmware-upgrade or the EM1. But it's good to see Olympus is finally taking a step in the right (video) direction.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Curiosity looks great, John. Well done.

Takes a bit of the slight scare away from some of the first footage I saw earlier. Was secretly hoping they'd give the OM-D E-M1 with same processor and everything the video upgrades as well (but then again, we've been hoping for framerates to come to the E-M1 for just about a year now, to no avail). I really like the E-M1, but if the E-M5II matches or surpasses its image quality and adds more flexibility with the vari-angle display and the other features (and accessories, the grip looks nice too, and headphone jack!)... there seems to be enough additional reasons to swap out the E-M1 for the E-M5II.

Being able to stabilize all my native full manual lenses (e.g. SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95), either something vintage M42 (e.g. MIR-1B 37mm f/2.8) or speedboosted third party lenses (e.g. Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8) is pretty valuable to me. But it's supposed to free you... and that's not what the videomode on the E-M1 was about. Which is a shame, because it then more or less became my dedicated stills camera, leaving video over to the GH4 and BMPCC, which don't have the luxury of featuring IBIS, but do have the greater flexibility what video concerned. But I'm glad if Olympus could meet me in the middle here. If not with the E-M1, then atleast with the E-M5II. Probably gonna give it a play around when it hits the stores. Might just have to go and get me one.

Curiosity looks great, John. Well done.

Takes a bit of the slight scare away from some of the first footage I saw earlier. Was secretly hoping they'd give the OM-D E-M1 with same processor and everything the video upgrades as well (but then again, we've been hoping for framerates to come to the E-M1 for just about a year now, to no avail). I really like the E-M1, but if the E-M5II matches or surpasses its image quality and adds more flexibility with the vari-angle display and the other features (and accessories, the grip looks nice too, and headphone jack!)... there seems to be enough additional reasons to swap out the E-M1 for the E-M5II.

Being able to stabilize all my native full manual lenses (e.g. SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 25mm T0.95), either something vintage M42 (e.g. MIR-1B 37mm f/2.8) or speedboosted third party lenses (e.g. Sigma ART 18-35mm f/1.8) is pretty valuable to me. But it's supposed to free you... and that's not what the videomode on the E-M1 was about. Which is a shame, because it then more or less became my dedicated stills camera, leaving video over to the GH4 and BMPCC, which don't have the luxury of featuring IBIS, but do have the greater flexibility what video concerned. But I'm glad if Olympus could meet me in the middle here. If not with the E-M1, then atleast with the E-M5II. Probably gonna give it a play around when it hits the stores. Might just have to go and get me one.

​Cheers.

I think the camera is capable and I prefer it for video very much to the E-M1 no question. It's very useable overall, wanting only for what we all want...more DR, higher bit depth internal recording and 4K....

There's still a lot to like though over the pocket, but it all depends on what's important to you.

JB

Yes, I know you can't make gradual changes but in my kind of work I often need to make fast and small changes in either iso or f-stop as there is a lot of run and gun involved but I cut those changes out in the edit, a nd filter will work but becomes a issue when shooting inside a darker place. It's that 5 axis stabilization I have been craving for a long time as that would make my work a lot easier, I had plans on getting a 42.5mm f1.2 Nocticron but for less money I could get a em5 and a 45MM F/1.8, optically not so good but just the thought I could shoot that combo handheld is too good to be true. If only I could control exposure in a better way :), guess it either will be waiting for a firmware-upgrade or the EM1. But it's good to see Olympus is finally taking a step in the right (video) direction.

​Now that I have some "in" with Olympus, being able to change exposure on the fly was my biggest gripe :-)  I'm hoping that kind of thing is easily addressed in firmware, and they've told me they intend to do firmware updates for their cameras every 6 months or so.

JB

​Cheers.

I think the camera is capable and I prefer it for video very much to the E-M1 no question. It's very useable overall, wanting only for what we all want...more DR, higher bit depth internal recording and 4K....

There's still a lot to like though over the pocket, but it all depends on what's important to you.

JB

​Thanks for sharing your experience with this camera, really appreciated.

I do love to rig things up, but more so I like to be able to still use a camera very bare essentials as well. So portability definitly is a marker that needs to be checked in my book, which is also the reason I haven't gone for anything fullframe yet (and with the glass that goes with that choice). That might render me with suboptimal DR and so on, but it helps me to keep things moving and that's worth something too. I really like to have different tools to choose from and the E-M5II seems like a great one to have. It can help you out in situations where something else would leave you hanging. Does sound pretty great.

I'm really impressed with Olympus's effort here. To my eyes the video quality (detail and colour) is somewhere between the GH2 and GH3 which is good. Add IBIS and it makes it an incredible tool for the box, one I hope to add this year. Like many the idea of zero rig is just so liberating and appealing creatively.

John's video looks superb. The taxi video just has me a little worried because of the colours under tungsten/fluorescent light. They turn me off a bit so looking forward to more examples over the coming weeks.

The video looks great (what has loaded so far). That SR is magic.

But if it is SR you want, maybe you should start reporting about Pentax and make a fuss? Up until their 2010 Pentax K-5 (and the mildly modified II and IIs that followed) Pentax had SR in their bodies. Similar to Olympus. Not quite THAT good, but in turn you get a larger APS-C sensor. They also had MJPEG with 80 Mbit, and a rather filmic look. There were some downsides, like lack of full manual controls and hot pixels that appear over time, but the codec is wonderful, and the shake reduction too. I can get reasonably smooth video while walking, completely handheld. At 50mm. It doesn't stabilize to such buttery smooth levels as the Olympus seems, but it's more organic. It looks a bit handheld, but without the rough edges, without the jittering. Like a much heavier camera sitting on the shoulder perhaps?

Then Pentax decided that the SR is too noisy (I think they got that idea from dpreview, hint: It isn't, it's barely audible in a quiet room, let alone in the real world) and replaced it with useless digital IS. They also switched to h264, which looked bad.

However they use pretty much the same processor Nikon does (just, at the moment, older iterations), and they use the same sensors Nikon does, so in terms of image quality they can compete. They just need to activate SR and maybe re-enable MJPEG, for the situations where you'd want that.

So let them know, make some fuss, and who knows? The K-3 successor showed they care for video, just that they don't have a clue about it. Why else would it have a headphone out with manual gain?

About the EM5 II IBIS, as I understand it will work on about any lens but does IBIS also work with zoomlenses? If I would add a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with a speedbooster, would the IBIS be effective as well?

​On my EM1 it works very well with a zoom but you have to make a choice on which focal length you will get the best stabilization.

The video looks great (what has loaded so far). That SR is magic.

But if it is SR you want, maybe you should start reporting about Pentax and make a fuss? Up until their 2010 Pentax K-5 (and the mildly modified II and IIs that followed) Pentax had SR in their bodies. Similar to Olympus. Not quite THAT good, but in turn you get a larger APS-C sensor. They also had MJPEG with 80 Mbit, and a rather filmic look. There were some downsides, like lack of full manual controls and hot pixels that appear over time, but the codec is wonderful, and the shake reduction too. I can get reasonably smooth video while walking, completely handheld. At 50mm. It doesn't stabilize to such buttery smooth levels as the Olympus seems, but it's more organic. It looks a bit handheld, but without the rough edges, without the jittering. Like a much heavier camera sitting on the shoulder perhaps?

Then Pentax decided that the SR is too noisy (I think they got that idea from dpreview, hint: It isn't, it's barely audible in a quiet room, let alone in the real world) and replaced it with useless digital IS. They also switched to h264, which looked bad.

However they use pretty much the same processor Nikon does (just, at the moment, older iterations), and they use the same sensors Nikon does, so in terms of image quality they can compete. They just need to activate SR and maybe re-enable MJPEG, for the situations where you'd want that.

So let them know, make some fuss, and who knows? The K-3 successor showed they care for video, just that they don't have a clue about it. Why else would it have a headphone out with manual gain?

​It might be APS-C versus 4/3" here... but it's also form factor and let's not underestimate the flexibility of the M43-mount.

It's a shame Pentax seems to have a shifted focus as where their cameras should go though. Their latest camera looked like a friggin' spaceship, lol. I think they should just stick to the solid weatherproofed cameras with the great allround performance they're known for.

About the EM5 II IBIS, as I understand it will work on about any lens but does IBIS also work with zoomlenses? If I would add a Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 with a speedbooster, would the IBIS be effective as well?

​When using adapted lenses, you must dial manually in the focal lenght of the lens that you're using; you can use a adapted zoom lens, but will have to choose a focal lenght, dial in the value and stay with it.

With m4/3 zooms, there are no problems, since the focal lenght value is transmitted electronically. 

​It might be APS-C versus 4/3" here... but it's also form factor and let's not underestimate the flexibility of the M43-mount.

It's a shame Pentax seems to have a shifted focus as where their cameras should go though. Their latest camera looked like a friggin' spaceship, lol. I think they should just stick to the solid weatherproofed cameras with the great allround performance they're known for.

​Pentax DSLRs aren't exactly bricks either... for what they are they are small and light.

I think they are trying to spread their wings, cover different segments. The K-S1 is aimed more at people who don't want a serious looking camera (which can be an advantage... you won't be kicked out trying to enter a concert for example, security guards won't see you as a threat, ...). The K-S2 is a mix between that and a serious camera, finally with a flippy screen and built in WiFi. Then there's the new full frame Pentax, which looks pretty bad-ass, including some big, heavy and expensive new lenses. They are on a roll! (And I can't wait to get my hands on that pancake kit lens...).

As for zoom lenses and SR... if the lens can communicate the focal length to the camera, it should be able to adjust just fine. My Pentax stutters a bit while zooming, but otherwise no problem. Otherwise you have to go to a menu to change the focal length in steps (it's a bit flexible). The further you get away between real and entered focal length the less effective does it become, compensating too much or too little.