iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

3 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Resolve has an AI depth map plugin, but the edges aren't good enough to use yet, and neither is the above.  

It will get better, but it's got a way to go.  Flyaways in the hair is the giveaway, and unfortunately it's both very difficult to do effectively, and it's also visually quite obvious.  If you want to use this technique then you'd have to sacrifice the more cinematic lighting and compositions to hide the artefacts.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

Short film directed and written by Jessica Yu-Li Henwick who has starred in various big budget productions for cinema and tv, such as "Game of Thrones" or "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery". She is also acting in the leading role. The film was shot pretty barebones on a Xiaomi 11 with a gimbal being put to use.

Here is a very cool interview, talking about finding the right DP, why she shot on a phone and requirements to film without extra lenses or big accessories. Also about scheduling and preparing the shoot while being on set starring in "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery" and where she drew inspiration from for her film.

Great interview and insight about the filmmaker, her film and her process. I really enjoyed film, cinematography and image quality as well. The other film above my post looks equally appealing to me btw. So here are the article and interview with Jessica Yu-Li Henwick:

https://directorsnotes.com/2023/02/11/jessica-yu-li-henwick-bus-girl/

Thanks for making the connection. Pretty cool! She’s great. I got emotional at Little Garlic shot on iPhone - so well done! If I’m being for weddings etc I probably wouldn’t default to the iPhone. But as a non paid enthusiast it’s quite the tool. It’s probably going to be my next platform. I’d love the a6700 form factor but even when I had the xt4 the size of the footprint between lense and body wasn’t convenient for casual use with friends family or travel. It would take too much to be in the moment. I still have the Ricoh Giiix and will compare it to the iPhone 15 when I grab one. 

Just waiting on an ND solution so I can use a quality VND. 

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Short film directed and written by Jessica Yu-Li Henwick who has starred in various big budget productions for cinema and tv, such as "Game of Thrones" or "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery". She is also acting in the leading role. The film was shot pretty barebones on a Xiaomi 11 with a gimbal being put to use.

Here is a very cool interview, talking about finding the right DP, why she shot on a phone and requirements to film without extra lenses or big accessories. Also about scheduling and preparing the shoot while being on set starring in "Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery" and where she drew inspiration from for her film.

Great interview and insight about the filmmaker, her film and her process. I really enjoyed film, cinematography and image quality as well. The other film above my post looks equally appealing to me btw. So here are the article and interview with Jessica Yu-Li Henwick:

Wait! Not listed as one of the Netflix authorized (Approved... no less, insane!) cameras?? Really? No way! Who wants such crap of device? *cough cough* Who will buy to exhibit it anyway? LMAO hehe

Sorry guys, couldn't resist! Marty is one of those who will fully understand me! Fortunately, not the only one! ;- )

When I see someone to ask why or if this or that camera is Netflix or BBC (for those old-timers hehe) approved... I wonder to myself if such individual knows what he or she is exactly doing along so complicated industry... LOL : )

To be professional is to know how to control this anxiety to begin with ;- )

Learn your craft before anything!

31 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Guess I'm bound to now:) What's that fugly confused emoji for under my beautiful post? You are in trouble now. 😊

haha blame these "fantastic" AI-like tools of today! I wanted to click to let it expressed a 'big thanks like' as not so rare about something coming from yours or @kye or@mercer among some other favs of mine and the damned button on my touchscreen went to some 'confused like' instead... and "they" even call it intelligent world we all live in nowadays where machines click on our behalf if we don't stand corrected them as next follow-up ; ) sorta policeman 24/24 : P

Let the machines rule over our heads and we will see all where we'll end : X

13 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Cool film, only let down by the poor codec and lack of ND.  I understand why you'd want to have a sponsor and why you'd want to tell a story with a phone in comparison to not telling it at all, but if you had freedom to choose and you were already getting a bunch of people on set and putting all that time and effort into something and then a phone sure isn't my first choice.

On 1/31/2024 at 7:39 AM, SRV1981 said:

Same comments as above, but you can definitely see the stronger codec in this piece compared to the Xaiomi.

"Yes, Xiaomi is a huge phone company and they have some great cameras. When we were looking at how we were going to fund the film they came on board under the condition that we shot it entirely on the phone, no lenses or no attachments. Often when you see films shot on a phone they’ve got a massive lens that they’ve clamped to the phone and it requires technical knowledge. What I love about the idea of shooting on a phone is how accessible it is to everyone. You have the ability to make a film right in your pocket."

Xiaomi funded the project. Apple/iPhone was probably being Elitist and didn't wanna fund a project that didn't have some big name hollywood director make some garbage film shot on an iPhone. They overlit, like all films shot on a phone, and then pulled exposure down in post. Which is great. Though they didn't use lenses attached fo the main camera to improve the image, which is probably not a good idea.

Also, I guess a lot of films shot on mobile phones have some enormous amount of work done in post to make it look more professional. This perhaps also lacked that, and it could have looked even better. The film overall has some good ratings and reviews, so perhaps one should look at it ad a whole, instead of onoy focussing on the cinematography. 

On 2/1/2024 at 4:54 AM, kye said:

Same comments as above, but you can definitely see the stronger codec in this piece compared to the Xaiomi.

I assume they shot in 8bit with the internal video app, since the film was sponsored by xiaomi. It does 10bit Log / hlg in high bitrate, with the Mcpro24fps app afaik.

2 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I assume they shot in 8bit with the internal video app, since the film was sponsored by xiaomi. It does 10bit Log / hlg in high bitrate, with the Mcpro24fps app afaik.

Yeah, the sponsorship would have meant the default app and the anaemic codec.  I don't know if this one supports RAW, but that would have been the ultimate choice.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 2:45 PM, PannySVHS said:

Xiaomi Mi10, 11 and 12 support RAW video with the motioncam app afaik. @kye

I have the 12sUltra.  256gb.  Typing this on it now. Havent tried to shoot raw with it. 

FWIW, The 24pro app on this phone pushes the hardware to the limit and drops frames. boo.

Not perfect, but one can dial in the image much better than the native app.

I'll play with the motioncam app and see how it goes.

35 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

24pro app on this phone pushes the hardware to the limit and drops frames.

To be clear, I can pull back the demands and it'll shoot fine.

BTW, the motioncam app cant access the 119mm lens on this 12sUltra, which is what i shoot with mostly, so RAW or not, that app isn't an option for me.