iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

3 hours ago, kye said:

It would be useful if you wrote why you were sharing each video.  I'm assuming you're watching more videos than you decide to share.

That way, if you post a video that talks about things I know about I can skip it, but if you post one that mentions something new that I don't know about then I can watch.

TBH I'm just looking at you post video after video and thinking "I can just search in YT and see random videos too".

🙂

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think he/she posts something he/she likes. Footage, the like.

I am done on YT because they flood us with various stuff which can be of any interest from our previous searches, invariably going on circles towards so many different directions and time is so scarce... so I tend to appreciate someone may do it on my behalf TBH :- )

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I think he/she posts something he/she likes. Footage, the like.

I am done on YT because they flood us with various stuff which can be of any interest from our previous searches, invariably going on circles towards so many different directions and time is so scarce... so I tend to appreciate someone may do it on my behalf TBH :- )

Yes all kidding aside, just posting clips to the others that have shared clips with me and others here. Implicit has been the images from  iPhone log is pleasing. 

Apple should rename their phone to Iphone SRV.😊

For me a LG V40 or 60 or a Xiaomi Mi10 with Mcpro24fps would be perfect to replace my old phone. Image quality in this video looks similar to GH5 in good light. Don't know how much beating the codec can take in grading. Will see some time next year when I'll get a "new" used phone. The video below also reminds me that a visually pleasing well shot video of lush sites and vistas can still be boring to me.:)

OK, I just came back from a 2 day one-man band shooting in the amazon. I shoot with a c100 doc style and have a Eos R for b roll. I had found myself in similar occasions with a iPhone 13, many times  before,  occasionally using it for a b roll scene and always regretted it because it was rarely usable. Seeing the footage I got with the 15pro max in log now I was really happy to see it will be useful for my kind of work. Specially the 120mm and 24mm. Having the action button to the black magic app and quickly recording in log was very nice. I actually didn't use the eos R. Ill share it here once I've edited it. 

by the way does anyone has a nice nd filter minimal solution for iPhone? 

P.S: usb c also made by life much easier both for offloading footage directly to SSd and getting imagens from people on the road

4 minutes ago, tomastancredi said:

OK, I just came back from a 2 day one-man band shooting in the amazon. I shoot with a c100 doc style and have a Eos R for b roll. I had found myself in similar occasions with a iPhone 13, many times  before,  occasionally using it for a b roll scene and always regretted it because it was rarely usable. Seeing the footage I got with the 15pro max in log now I was really happy to see it will be useful for my kind of work. Specially the 120mm and 24mm. Having the action button to the black magic app and quickly recording in log was very nice. I actually didn't use the eos R. Ill share it here once I've edited it. 

by the way does anyone has a nice nd filter minimal solution for iPhone? 

P.S: usb c also made by life much easier both for offloading footage directly to SSd and getting imagens from people on the road

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjlvuSPyL6CAxXoS0cBHSSnDlsYABANGgJxdQ&ae=2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjMKqBhCgARIsAPDgWlzQYZ_HfYVTBwi-egOvjMzdFeUkllaXPl28F0MVosbJ41DHSt5L6EsaAl8FEALw_wcB&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESVeD2XfM3irqE9M93UhizXblk495KelCQV2CKWQArdp4OPlOsnOqBilFvGjLjVnkoujL5xawqo9LMvT589ZL9xKgwiBD-CBawI6b5bf3CeRP0nq0wWOo&sig=AOD64_1wCOgWjMU6ZookOaSCUls0JZYt8A&ctype=5&q=&ved=2ahUKEwivpdyPyL6CAxX7lYkEHam5BMgQwg8oAHoECAQQDA&adurl=

13 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Thanks but I am hoping for something that will keep it on pocket. Otherwise Ill use my camera. 

this design is closest I saw but probably not so good. It is terrible that there is a always a huge imagetic industry of people showing off their rigs and things are really cumbersome. 

https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/1005005066512401.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=768-202-3196&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=17283575038&albag=&trgt=&crea=pt1005005066512401&netw=x&device=c&albpg=&albpd=pt1005005066512401&gclid=Cj0KCQiAjMKqBhCgARIsAPDgWlwMKj4hJWeKLAWHLzRknXDDVPTeSN4rkrnvqitahpu-zYYYa3YUT4gaAgLNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=4a6efd8e6754473297cf1d451e700c5e-1699796407150-01741-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=4a6efd8e6754473297cf1d451e700c5e-1699796407150-01741-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=ed021bd9ce8e43198ef17c8d6f1aa4ec&afSmartRedirect=y

this one would be interesting if their UV was their ND 

https://www.polarpro.com/products/iphone-15-case

18 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

BM app has now updated to include internal and baked in LUT which is also enhancing this as a solution for many.

I found that the BM app had a bit of lag while using it on really hot conditions. Sometimes it was 2 seconds behind. Not sure if the same would have happened standard. It may also be related to shooting h265 and log. I don't know. 

12 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

I found that the BM app had a bit of lag while using it on really hot conditions. Sometimes it was 2 seconds behind. Not sure if the same would have happened standard. It may also be related to shooting h265 and log. I don't know. 

Ahh good to know - not we’ll have to start an “iPhone Overheating kickstarter Ulanzi” thread 

I got my iPhone 15 Pro Max (upgrade from 13 Pro Max) and some early observations:

Quality is good when in shooting good conditions but breaks quite quickly if you miss exposure, in low light, etc.

Log files can be graded easily and have no over-sharpening, can take some post processing but way less than R5c RAW files, the difference imo is night and day as it should be. The same for details compared to R5c is just worlds apart.

BMD does not allow you to use 2x lens, zooming 2x with the 24mm lens the quality is quite bad (very blotchy, full hd at max). I did not test yet with the apple camera and the 2x “cropped” lens to see if is better.

No Log + Cinematic in either Apple Camera or BMD

H265+Log is a good compromise size vs. Quality and you can record all fps internally.

120mm lens I find it a bit better quality than the 77mm of the 13, and a more useful focal range for what I normally cover.

I have BMD set to save to Files, then I connect a USB-C CFexpress or SSD and move the files in Files, is the quickest and easier method for PC users. Much better that the previous phone that was a nightmare to get the footage out from a PC.

Action button is useful as you can set to start or even start recording in the BMD.

Still need to get use to the BMD UI, with no hw button/wheels changing things rapidly is a bit of a pain for me.

Overall, with Log and the 120mm is big update and I will use it even more than my previous phone, especially as B or C cam.

Using it as a main camera is a big stretch and I think I will be mostly disappointed.

Frame grab 4k Log 120mm.

365669498_RonnieMTB11_11.2023_01_07_42_04.thumb.jpg.a5766f30f7e62947cceb0d213e479d08.jpg

13 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I got my iPhone 15 Pro Max (upgrade from 13 Pro Max) and some early observations:

Quality is good when in shooting good conditions but breaks quite quickly if you miss exposure, in low light, etc.

Log files can be graded easily and have no over-sharpening, can take some post processing but way less than R5c RAW files, the difference imo is night and day as it should be. The same for details compared to R5c is just worlds apart.

BMD does not allow you to use 2x lens, zooming 2x with the 24mm lens the quality is quite bad (very blotchy, full hd at max). I did not test yet with the apple camera and the 2x “cropped” lens to see if is better.

No Log + Cinematic in either Apple Camera or BMD

H265+Log is a good compromise size vs. Quality and you can record all fps internally.

120mm lens I find it a bit better quality than the 77mm of the 13, and a more useful focal range for what I normally cover.

I have BMD set to save to Files, then I connect a USB-C CFexpress or SSD and move the files in Files, is the quickest and easier method for PC users. Much better that the previous phone that was a nightmare to get the footage out from a PC.

Action button is useful as you can set to start or even start recording in the BMD.

Still need to get use to the BMD UI, with no hw button/wheels changing things rapidly is a bit of a pain for me.

Overall, with Log and the 120mm is big update and I will use it even more than my previous phone, especially as B or C cam.

Using it as a main camera is a big stretch and I think I will be mostly disappointed.

Frame grab 4k Log 120mm.

365669498_RonnieMTB11_11.2023_01_07_42_04.thumb.jpg.a5766f30f7e62947cceb0d213e479d08.jpg

Excellent logistics and detail! Thanks 🙏. What are you mostly shooting ? Paid work or hobby? YouTube or cinema output? And what’s your A Cam? Thanks 

6 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Excellent logistics and detail! Thanks 🙏. What are you mostly shooting ? Paid work or hobby? YouTube or cinema output? And what’s your A Cam? Thanks 

50% video, 50% photo work almost all action related.

Paid, YT + social media + local TV, professional level:

Equestrian, Ice hockey, MTB, Trial bike, Ski & Snowboard alpine/freeride, motorsports GT & Rally.

Hobby:

Wildlife, Aviation, Family

A cam: R5c

B cam: R5

C cam: Insta360 1 inch, Insta360 RS and Insta360 GO, iPhone

My biggest usage for the iPhone is on top of my R5c especially when I’m using long lenses >=300mm to have a wider pov, for equestrian it is my standard setup. Or in places where a normal camera is too cumbersome e.g. some b-roll inside a cramped helicopter.

Btw I’m pretty sure that all the “YT guess iPhone 15 vs best camera in the market” they start with the best conditions for a phone, then grade what the iPhone can take and then have the more pro camera match it. The inverse would show a different story imo. Again, it is incredible the progress that iPhone had in the last years but still not comparable to a good camera. Imo it sits closer to a Gopro than a mirrorless camera. Super useful feature are the 3 focal lenses, good stabilization, log and you have it always with you.

54 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Paid, YT + social media + local TV, professional level:

Equestrian, Ice hockey, MTB, Trial bike, Ski & Snowboard alpine/freeride, motorsports GT & Rally.

Hobby:

Wildlife, Aviation, Family

A cam: R5c

B cam: R5

C cam: Insta360 1 inch, Insta360 RS and Insta360 GO, iPhone

My biggest usage for the iPhone is on top of my R5c especially when I’m using long lenses >=300mm to have a wider pov, for equestrian it is my standard setup. Or in places where a normal camera is too cumbersome e.g. some b-roll inside a cramped helicopter.

Btw I’m pretty sure that all the “YT guess iPhone 15 vs best camera in the market” they start with the best conditions for a phone, then grade what the iPhone can take and then have the more pro camera match it. The inverse would show a different story imo. Again, it is incredible the progress that iPhone had in the last years but still not comparable to a good camera. Imo it sits closer to a Gopro than a mirrorless camera. Super useful feature are the 3 focal lenses, good stabilization, log and you have it always with you.

Pretty cool! Does GoPro have log? The Apple log images look far superior and more pleasing to my brain than any GoPro footage I’ve seen. And it does feel like I’m watching a mirrorless camera in good enough lighting sans the DOF and ISO performance. 

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions.  Your description is pretty much how I was expecting it to perform.

I think, for me, the take-aways are:

• you own one and have real-world experience in uncontrolled conditions
  • it's not as good as a real camera
  • it's good enough to use in professional gigs, even if only in a limited capacity

• 3 weeks later...

Cined lab test of the iPhone 15 is out...

https://www.cined.com/iphone-15-pro-lab-test-rolling-shutter-dynamic-range-and-exposure-latitude/

Highlights:

• Rolling shutter is very low (4.7-5ms for rear cameras and 9.3ms for front-facing camera)
  • DR varies across ISOs due to heavy NR and processing (testing was done in 4K Prores HQ Apple Log) and they had to adapt their testing methodology for a range of reasons
  • DR measurements are in the 11-14stops range, depending on how you measure them, and some assume no NR but this has tonnes of it, so....
  • In terms of exposure latitude it has 5-6 stops of latitude, depending on ISO.  In general the latitude relates to the DR, so by comparing with cameras that have 12 stops of DR and 8 stops of latitude, that would mean the iPhone has 9-10 stops of DR
  • In the end, it's a smartphone with a tiny little sensor

The article is a good read and there's lots of nuance there.

Looks like pretty neat even though I concur NDs would take away that fast shutter look off, doesn't bother me after all with that non-stop score backing it and that adopted colourful style of editing the stuff shot:

Have you already thought how much we would all praise those colours just a few years ago coming from such so small device with a monitor all included?

The point is now everyone can live a cinematic life from their daily sunny or rainy days as much as when 8mm popped up some quarters of century ago with the difference to be weatherproof/waterproof and definitely much more handy to look like a pro today...

They make perfect stars with/from common people on bits & bytes... Food for thought, it's the dream come true of the Italian neo-realism on cheap side and... long life to the democratization of this medium!

(so, let's stop to be picky and praise the momentum of nowadays! ; )