iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
59 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Can record ProRes to an external USBC SSD. 🏆

The last one recorded Prores but it looked like crap.  

I thought if they were going to implement a professional codec they'd provide a professional image, but it was atrocious...  turns out the best thing about Prores on other cameras was that it guided the manufacturer to be tasteful and professional when processing the image, it wasn't the codec itself.  

5 hours ago, kye said:

The last one recorded Prores but it looked like crap.  

I thought if they were going to implement a professional codec they'd provide a professional image, but it was atrocious...  turns out the best thing about Prores on other cameras was that it guided the manufacturer to be tasteful and professional when processing the image, it wasn't the codec itself.  

Oh that’s a shame. Hope it’s better on the 15. I’m still on an 11!

12 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Oh that’s a shame. Hope it’s better on the 15. I’m still on an 11!

Yeah, it was a shame, and I'm not optimistic about the 15, but it might be better than the 11.  My suggestion is to record in the highest bitrate and then put it onto a lower resolution timeline to downscale all the digital nastiness.

With enough downscaling all cameras look alike.  Judging by this criteria, the latest iPhones are almost at 720p.

I have an iPhone 13 pro max and I some time use video that I intercut with my R5c and R5, is better than gopro and co imo but I really hate the shooting experience due to the internal storage and slow transfer speed and hard to manage file system..... also it does not keep the focal length selected e.g. 3x. I used iFilmic in the past, imo also not relly great, but now with the new subscription is a robbery.

The new on is intriguing if you can really shoot to an external SSD or maybe even a CFexpress or SD reader... this would be good. I also hope that with the USB-C transferring video to a pc will be much faster and reliable. 

When I shoot athletes with long lenses I mount the iPhone on top of the flash shoe so I have a "safety always in focus version" and a more wide shot too, but the 77mm is still too short, I feel that 120mm is a good focal length for this. So in one pass I get  400mm/500mm and 120mm. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

log 👀 

In the description he also says:

Some shots were filmed in Cinematic Mode (4K / 30fps), others with the regular wide-angle/telephoto/macro camera lens. I didn’t use any third-party-apps like Filmic Pro, no Log or ProRes Codecs - Maybe there will be another Video in the future in which I’ll test the new Log format and ProRes as well as the new focal lengths.

So overall, I don't know what to make of the video.

Plus, when you eliminate all the fast cutting by watching it at 0.25x speed, it looks pretty sub-standard.

20 minutes ago, kye said:

In the description he also says:

So overall, I don't know what to make of the video.

Plus, when you eliminate all the fast cutting by watching it at 0.25x speed, it looks pretty sub-standard.

Agreed I was unsure but goes to show good lighting and thoughtful shots can look pretty damn good 

6 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Agreed I was unsure but goes to show good lighting and thoughtful shots can look pretty damn good 

*shrug* only looked marginally better than my own footage from my 12 Mini.  Until they stop pummelling the footage basically to death internally it won't produce anything other than a brittle digital looking image.

I've just spent about 90 minutes trying every blur technique I can imagine on some sample footage I have from my 12 Mini and then jumped over to some similar shots from the GX85 and it was night-and-day different because it wasn't over sharpened before the compression.  The GX85 is 8-bit vs the iPhones 10-bit, but the GX85 was still outright superior, despite both cameras being used outside during the day, so have absolutely tonnes of light, so both sensors would have been base ISO.

The RAW footage from the android phones looked great - even after being put through the YT compression which is far more severe than the compression that is applied by any smartphone manufacturer.  I don't know why Apple are so intent on ruining the video signal they're pulling off the sensor.

56 minutes ago, kye said:

*shrug* only looked marginally better than my own footage from my 12 Mini.  Until they stop pummelling the footage basically to death internally it won't produce anything other than a brittle digital looking image.

I've just spent about 90 minutes trying every blur technique I can imagine on some sample footage I have from my 12 Mini and then jumped over to some similar shots from the GX85 and it was night-and-day different because it wasn't over sharpened before the compression.  The GX85 is 8-bit vs the iPhones 10-bit, but the GX85 was still outright superior, despite both cameras being used outside during the day, so have absolutely tonnes of light, so both sensors would have been base ISO.

The RAW footage from the android phones looked great - even after being put through the YT compression which is far more severe than the compression that is applied by any smartphone manufacturer.  I don't know why Apple are so intent on ruining the video signal they're pulling off the sensor.

Let’s take a pause as videos are starting to come out with ProRes and Log footage. There’s a chance for some great images and so I’ll suspend similar conclusions for at least the weekend/week. 

thoughts: 

3 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Let’s take a pause as videos are starting to come out with ProRes and Log footage. There’s a chance for some great images and so I’ll suspend similar conclusions for at least the weekend/week. 

thoughts: 

I got quite excited when they originally released the Prores support in their previous model as every camera I've seen with Prores had great images that had minimal processing, but unfortunately they just implemented it as a high-bitrate version of the same heavily processed mess that they sent to h265 compression.

However, I'd be extraordinarily happy to be proven wrong!  I use my phone as the second camera on my travels and it would be great if it could live up to its potential 🙂