Sign in to follow this  
Litewolf

Pulling Focus on AF Lens with Follow Focus

Hi,

I've got pretty nice lenses for my 5D Mark III.

Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 USM

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 USM

Since those lenses are made for fast autofocus operation for photography, the distance from the nearest focus point to infinity on the focus ring is quite short. This should make it harder to pull focus smoothly.

Here is a short explaination:

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I prefer short throw focus lenses to work with so its not an issue

I do like only having to rack a small amount rather than rack a full 300 degrees etc

so you just get use to it - I personally find it alot quicker and useful to use short throw lenses especially on a hand held shoulder rig

where you are moving and shooting quick.

Long throw lenses need to locked off with the camera on legs and a heavy duty rig plate tso there is no movement as you turn the follow focus - also you need to have your lenses fully supported underneath and on rods so there is no lens movent up and down , I actually cable tie the lens to the rods to eliminate any up/ down movement as you turn the follow focus......which is really annoying problem with DSLR follow focus set ups.

Many times I do end up removing the follow focus and hand racking to stop movement.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Hans Punk
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223735772092?&shqty=1&isGTR=1#shId
      If buyer lets me know they are an EOSHD member via ebay message, I'll refund postage costs to UK and Europe.

• By Zalem
      - PRICE: $599
      - STRETCH: 2X
      - FOCUS: Double-focus
      - PAYMENT METHOD: Paypal (fees to be paid after initial payment)
      - SHIPPING: Not included
      - INCLUDED: Redstan rear adapter with foot support and Redstan front clamp (value = $100).
      - CONDITION: No scratches and no fungus. Clean glass with the exception of a couple tiny spots on the rear glass. A couple of VERY light scratches that are only noticeable under a light source. Body shows some signs of wear but it works perfectly. Coatings are not flamboyant but the lens creates these signature purple/orange flares perfectly well. I wasn't able to get 1000% tack sharp images, so the lens might need to be serviced. It gives reasonably sharp results though, and my issue might actually come from my taking lens. Bought it from a fellow member of the Anamorphic Shooters group on FB and barely used it because of a decrease in filmmaking activity.
      - COMMENTS: I can send some footage via wetransfer. Open to offers.

• By Alex T
      Amazing cage with built-in follow focus wheel perfect for the a7s, Canon and Nikon cameras. It's in used condition but works great. Redrock are a quality company with excellent customer service. I've found this cage to be exceptional as a one-man-band. 

"The Scout is first of its kind ultra-portable camera multi-tool. It’s a universal cage and rig in one featuring a built-in microRemote Fingerwheel System that’s wireless-ready. The Scout has a rail system when you need it, or remove rails for a super low profile setup. Load-and-go, run-and-gun, point-and-shoot right out of the box. ultraCage Scout is the ultimate self-contained rig for handheld mirrorless camera and DSLR video" 

RRP: $2,199.00

Selling for £1099

• By wherezelig
      Used Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L ll USM Zoom Lens for Canon EF Cameras, but taken great care of.
      2 years old, and only used only in studio setting. Lens is in immaculate condition and like new. $1200 OBO

Compact and lightweight, the Canon EF USM II F/2.8 Lens is designed to capture portrait, sports, and wildlife photography. This Canon lens comes with aspherical lens elements to reduce chromatic aberrations. The focal length of this 16 mm lens can be automatically adjusted between 16 mm and 35 mm to shoot magnified images of an object at a minimum focusing distance of 0.28 m. With an aperture range of f/2.8, this Canon EF USM II F/2.8 allows you to capture bright outdoor pictures. The 63 to 108 degree angle coverage of this 16 mm lens lets you take large format pictures. With a construction of 16 elements in 12 groups, this Canon EF USM II F/2.8 controls the performance of the lens to enhance the image quality.

• By Jakub
      Lens in pristine condition. Bought for a project but eventually never had a chance to use it.Comes with a modified  m4/3 to m42  adapter that covers the size of the mount , does not hold it but can be used as abase for making one. 250 euro