Re: Cinema Camera vs Mirrorless

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Have the XH2.  Thinking about getting the OM-1.  What's your real world "nope, it's going back" sentiment about the OM-1?

Loved the build and form factor, it just felt ‘right’ in the hands.

Stills OK but I thought the video was meh.

Maybe because I tried mixing it with that from the S1H and it was not even in the ballpark.

On that basis alone, no choice but to send it back for a full refund (ie, it cost me one way postage to test it for a couple of weeks).

APSC is my minimum really, but that is speaking personally.

26 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Loved the build and form factor, it just felt ‘right’ in the hands.

Stills OK but I thought the video was meh.

Maybe because I tried mixing it with that from the S1H and it was not even in the ballpark.

On that basis alone, no choice but to send it back for a full refund (ie, it cost me one way postage to test it for a couple of weeks).

APSC is my minimum really, but that is speaking personally.

What didn’t you like about the xh2?

what do you like about the s1H  and how does it compare to Sony?

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Ditto.

I used to always upgrade to the most recent latest & greatest whether it really was or not and sometimes it was and other times it wasn’t.

Ideally, unless I absolutely need it, I hold off.

Since 2018, I have bought precisely 2 new cameras. That I have kept anyway (returned the OM-1 and XH2). These have been the S5 after I sold off all my Fuji gear knowing I was not going to stick with what I had and then recently the S5ii as I do have need for reliable AF for a % of my work.

But my S1R's, both now gone, purchased used for 1500 and 1600 euros and my current pair of S1H's, 2150 and 1850. 

For me it is the equation: need + cost + timing and I like to start any season with all the kit I am going to use and if I can, not make changes until after any season has finished.

Too many lens changes last year as I wrestled L Mount into submission but think I have it nailed down now…

COVID really opened my eyes about being extra thoughtful about how I spend my money and what I have my money tied up in. There were several times, even early in the pandemic when I tried to convince myself that things would be better by the summer, where I almost pulled the trigger on completely overhauling my kit. I had the money to do it, and my gear would've fetched more than it did last year when I finally did start the transition to the S5. But I'd have been in a really BAD situation if I had spent that money in 2019 or early 2020. I'd probably have had to start selling my gear, which I would need when things got back to "normal", to survive.

By waiting though I scored two S5 bodies in the last 12 months for a little over $2000 total and didn't put myself in a poor financial situation doing so. These cameras will serve me for at least the next two years, I'm sure longer if I really want them to, and will have paid for themselves over and over again by the time I decide to upgrade. By then they'll be 4 or 5 years old, but they'll still do the job just as the GH5 continues to do for me 6 years after buying it. I'll let others take the financial hit that comes with buying a new camera, because short of some MUST HAVE release, my days of buying the latest gear new are over. I'd rather keep that money in my pocket because if COVID showed me anything it's that I just don't know what the future holds and when we leave it to people to make the best decisions for the collective they often times don't.

30 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

COVID really opened my eyes about being extra thoughtful about how I spend my money and what I have my money tied up in. There were several times, even early in the pandemic when I tried to convince myself that things would be better by the summer, where I almost pulled the trigger on completely overhauling my kit. I had the money to do it, and my gear would've fetched more than it did last year when I finally did start the transition to the S5. But I'd have been in a really BAD situation if I had spent that money in 2019 or early 2020. I'd probably have had to start selling my gear, which I would need when things got back to "normal", to survive.

By waiting though I scored two S5 bodies in the last 12 months for a little over $2000 total and didn't put myself in a poor financial situation doing so. These cameras will serve me for at least the next two years, I'm sure longer if I really want them to, and will have paid for themselves over and over again by the time I decide to upgrade. By then they'll be 4 or 5 years old, but they'll still do the job just as the GH5 continues to do for me 6 years after buying it. I'll let others take the financial hit that comes with buying a new camera, because short of some MUST HAVE release, my days of buying the latest gear new are over. I'd rather keep that money in my pocket because if COVID showed me anything it's that I just don't know what the future holds and when we leave it to people to make the best decisions for the collective they often times don't.

Same, covid lockdown gave me a lot of time on my hands to rethink life while we couldn't work and were locked up at home. 

Makes me reassess my spending priorities (although I certainly still have far too much money tied up on gear, and still spending too much! But I guess... less so than before??? Maybe) plus general life goals and what I'm doing with my life at the moment. 

Kinda living a mid life crisis right now (or as my sister recently kindly called it: "a quarter life crisis"), so have gone back to university to study stuff for fun that I enjoy (and still juggling working in the film industry too! A bit stressful, but that's ok, I'm enjoying all of it). 

23 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

True true, damn Canon at it again with their cripple hammer!

The C70 is an entry-level C line camera, just like the C100 series it doesn't feature SDI outs as its just not considered that type of camera. Its a run & gun solo operator joint. Just a step above mirrorless. It's price sits a good 1500€ under FX6.

That being said, Canon have been sleeping on the C lineup. A C200 update is long overdue and is the series were SDI's make their appearance. Surely they are losing sales to FX6 with no worthy alternative at that price level.

Then again, maybe that whole market of +6K€ cine cam owners is shrinking due to the current climate.

Right now the money is in the $2K-$3K bracket it feels.

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

tried mixing it with that from the S1H and it was not even in the ballpark.

Fair enough.  Oly never has been the best at the video side of things.  Good, never great.  Always a little behind with their IQ, I agree.  Still like 'em though.  

I'm still shooting some stuff every now and gain with a cheap EM10II and I do like the colors.

With the OM-1 I have a specific documnetary on the agenda that includes bird photography and video --so that makes it a good fit.  Damn lens costs 8K though.  Sheesh...still that's cheap compared to other manufacturer's glass made for birding.

But, like you mentioned, buy it, use it, sell it.

8 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

What didn’t you like about the xh2?

what do you like about the s1H  and how does it compare to Sony?

Side-hinged screen was pretty much the only thing I did not like about the XH2…but ultimately it was not just about the camera, but the system including lenses and L Mount just serves my needs better.

Never done a direct comparison and the only reason(s) I ever considered a move to Sony was the more compact form factor (compared with S1 sized bodies) and Tamron lenses.

Tamron IMO have the best focal length zooms currently with the 20-40 and 35–150 for my needs.

No other system have enough for me to switch.

If you were asking me whether I would come to the same conclusion if starting from scratch, as of today, it would be a toss up between Fuji or Sony and L Mount would be third,

$£€ come into it…

The bottom line is they are ALL fucking good!