Sign in to follow this  
Marco

A7s moire?

This is a frame taken by my Sony A7s with PP4 25p Full frame
Take a look at the tie. The picture speaks for itself.
I thought that the A7s didn't have aliasing and moire, at least not in FF 25p mode!

post-21363-0-16992300-1413554311_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That looks like the effect of chroma subsampling to me, not moire. There's also compression artefacting there on the tie at the borders of colours.

Remember this is 4:2:0 internally. Colour channel resolution is reduced. Try recording a sharp red edge in focus against a white backdrop for a harsh example...

It could also be an interlaced container error, but i don't think that applies to A7s, plus it'd be more severe.

I don't have an A7s so bear in mind this is judgement from available information and experience.

Also, moire is a naturally occurring phenomena in all optic systems, even biological.  We can see it visually with our naked eye. Indeed, I saw it a few weeks ago in the grating on the heater of a subway car.  

For cameras that have line skipping the aliasing problem is lumped into the "moire" problem by most people, though they are a bit different.  

People said it doesn't have much moire.  It is very difficult to find a camera that doesn't have any.  As maxotics said, you can sometimes see moire with the naked eye and you don't critisise your eyes.  Im guessing in this instance that wasn't the case so it is the camera that is doing it, but it dosn't look that bad. At least its not rainbow moire like a black magic.  But I guess its good for people to be aware that plain but finely textured ties can be an issue, and maybe keep some moire proof ties just in case.

Thanks for your answers!
I'll remember that before filming a subject wearing a tie, next time.
I have to say that this problem seems worse in the video when you see the subject moving. The picture doesn't look as bad as it is.
I don't know whether or not changing the Picture Profile this problem can be solved.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By petertom
      Sony HDVF-C30W viewfinder for f900 PDW-f800 700 F35 F65 HXC HDW HDC 1500 On Ebay
      Price: $1,300.00
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HDVF-C30W-viewfinder-for-f900-PDW-f800?

• By petertom
      Sony HDVF-20A for F900 HDW-700 730 750 PDW-F800 F35 F23 950 HDC-1500 On Ebay
      Price: $750.00
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-HDVF-20A-for-F900-HDW-700-730-750-PDW-F800-F35-F23-950-HDC-1500?

• By petertom
      Codex M recorder package for Sony F23/F35/Arri Alexa/D21 cameras On Ebay
      Price: $2,775.00
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Codex-M-recorder-package-for-Sony F35-Arri-Alexa-D21-cameras-Otto-Nemenz/222318454636?

• By Alex T
      Amazing cage with built-in follow focus wheel perfect for the a7s, Canon and Nikon cameras. It's in used condition but works great. Redrock are a quality company with excellent customer service. I've found this cage to be exceptional as a one-man-band. 

"The Scout is first of its kind ultra-portable camera multi-tool. It’s a universal cage and rig in one featuring a built-in microRemote Fingerwheel System that’s wireless-ready. The Scout has a rail system when you need it, or remove rails for a super low profile setup. Load-and-go, run-and-gun, point-and-shoot right out of the box. ultraCage Scout is the ultimate self-contained rig for handheld mirrorless camera and DSLR video" 

RRP: $2,199.00

Selling for £1099

• By kazkioken
      Clearing out some stuff I don't use, this is a mint condition Metabones Nikon N/F to Sony E mount Ultra Speedbooster with 1 stop and .71X fov

I don't have the container or box, will just be the speedbooster and both end caps with the support piece as shown

Prefer local Los Angeles area pick up for $390 so you can see the adapter in person - can ship to US via PP with additional shipping and G&S fee