Lenses

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, mercer said:

I'd love to mess around with ML on the eos-m, but it seems my camera is broke and won't turn on any more. It could be that all of my batteries went bad... I used to buy really cheap ones.

There are some pretty long threads of things that other users have tried in the EOS-M Facebook group. Maybe something in there will bring your little camera back to life?

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Here are a couple shots that didn't turn out terrible...

These look great! I have always enjoyed the look of the Takumar lenses. What is your film about?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hopefully it's just the battery. These little gems getting quiet expensive these days. Great shots, makes me want to try the Pentax, great testimony to a lens! @mercer Was mistaking them as Canon 5D3 Raw shots. But you made that Sigma FP sing. There aren't any small mechanical 2x or 3x zooms for 16 or S16 unfortunately. @QuickHitRecord Maybe there might be some in 2/3" cctv land, but it would seem kind of silly to put that on a og pocket or m2k losing too much pixel realestate. On the Eos M that crop would mean 2/5 of the sensor and x axis pixels and be in the 2k ballpark. A 2/3" crop might sound appealing for the Eos with a tiny 2/3" zoom.:)

15 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

There aren't any small mechanical 2x or 3x zooms for 16 or S16 unfortunately.

Actually, that 12-36mm lens I mentioned earlier seems like it might fit the bill, if you are willing to make some modifications. I posted a question about it on another message board and a member named Boris Simović actually had one. He shared these photos (attached), taken with his E-M1 Mark II. To get the lens to work with his MFT body, he removed the rear plate and just screwed on an MFT adapter in its place. It won't focus to infinity at the longer focal lengths yet, but he's going to see if he can work with the adapter a little more to make it work.

He says it's somewhat heavy and feels like it needs more lubricant, but I think that the images look very promising.

It's available as the FOCtek C-M1236IR in the US for around $300, or $160 on AliExpress (without coupons applied). I am seriously struggling to keep myself from picking up a copy. But maybe you would be interested?

434708778_10104863123668181_2742153490561126185_n3.jpg

434650762_10104863122710101_9185850929318519494_n.jpg

434647601_10104863123263991_950632673406561595_n.jpg

20 hours ago, QuickHitRecord said:

There are some pretty long threads of things that other users have tried in the EOS-M Facebook group. Maybe something in there will bring your little camera back to life?

These look great! I have always enjoyed the look of the Takumar lenses. What is your film about?

I'll have to take a look one of these days because I would like to mess with it... plus I have all these c-mounts lying around and I'd like to have a camera to use them on.

Thanks, I feel like I am flying blind some times with color work because my screen sucks so bad. The idea I am outlining right now is kind of a coming of age horror film about adult characters.. kinda like Stand by Me if the dead body was looking for them.

Here's another shot from the Tak/FP combo. I don't know about anybody else, but I have been noticing some major disparities between the image in my computer and what the image looks like posted to different sites/devices, so this is also a test of that for me.

405423720_SigmaFP-Tak-DeSat.thumb.jpeg.d86b8743cce10bb8225b988a91338506.jpeg

Either way, I really like this lens with the FP. I've been saying for years that some lenses just work better with certain cameras. I was about to sell this lens, now I'm going to dig through my closet and find my 35/3.5 Tak.

Looks stellar.@mercerGood thing the Sigma is not really better regarding battery performance in comparison to the P2K. That way I won't long for it.:)

Wow, awesome find! @QuickHitRecordWould love to see some results and moving pictures filmed with that lens. The 2/3" route could also show some potential for tiny zooms. I found a 6x 11.5 - 69mm Kowa, which translates to a 44 - 264mm lens in 135 film terms,  weighting 300g. 10mm at the wide end would have gotten me exited. On a 2/3" cropped Eos M or a GH5/6 with a 2x Digizoom this might still be an interesting zoom lens.

12 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Looks stellar.@mercerGood thing the Sigma is not really better regarding battery performance in comparison to the P2K. That way I won't long for it.:)

Wow, awesome find! @QuickHitRecordWould love to see some results and moving pictures filmed with that lens. The 2/3" route could also show some potential for tiny zooms. I found a 6x 11.5 - 69mm Kowa, which translates to a 44 - 264mm lens in 135 film terms,  weighting 300g. 10mm at the wide end would have gotten me exited. On a 2/3" cropped Eos M or a GH5/6 with a 2x Digizoom this might still be an interesting zoom lens.

Thanks, I think I should clarify my earlier statement about the battery life... when I said it's not much better, I was probably exaggerating... it's no GH series camera regarding battery and considerably less than my 5D3, but it's not nearly as bad as my experience with the P2K.

And even with its flaws, which there are many, I still think the FP is probably the best camera for your money on the market today... if you're interested in narrative filmmaking... or even casual video if you don't mind taking your time and using a bunch of storage.

Even the internal 8bit 4K cDNG raw is quite usable if you want a smaller set up. One of the reasons I tested the camera with the Tak was to see how the internal 4K 8bit raw was for a B&W delivery... knowing the yellowing from the Thorium could help with the final B&W image. 

On 4/10/2024 at 10:49 AM, PannySVHS said:

If I got that right, the Sigma offers not only a S35 mode in Raw, but other crop modes as well? What crops does it offer besides S35, maybe Mft or S16? That would be super nice, some sweet S16 50p.😊 @mercer

I believe it only offers a S35 crop. Due to the compression methods from the 6K sensor, some say that the S35 crop is superior... but I didn't buy a FF camera to shoot in S35. And the difference is probably minimal and I don't care about minimal.

But as usual, I'm probably the weirdo here, because I still prefer good 1080p over run of the mill 4K.

For instance, I mentioned earlier that I think some lenses shine with certain cameras. After thorough testing, most lenses look pretty good in 4K. By that I mean, most vintage lenses have a certain level of sharpness that is good enough due to the 4K. In fact, I think vintage lenses help to tame the sharpness... resolution of 4K.

Now with my 5D3/ML Raw, some of those same lenses just don't work. But with a more modern lens, the image looks really good, in my opinion better than the FP.

Here's a shot from the 5D3 with the older non-Art Sigma 50mm 1.4...

1233728800_Sigma50mm1.4-4.6KLUT_1.4.1.thumb.jpeg.50bfdad984d47607b17773756ffc8e4a.jpeg

And here are a couple shots of the Takumar on the 5D3...

IMG_0362.thumb.jpeg.347940323e832c75fececa4c8e0b1a15.jpeg

Obviously, they're different shots so in some ways they're incomparable...

And here's a B&W shot with the Tak on the 5D3 that's a lot more interesting...

IMG_0363.thumb.jpeg.6bb198ffd059887702514acdefa3771d.jpeg

So what's my point...

I have way more options than I need and B&W makes everything look cooler.

That is all. 

Vistek just dropped a pretty comprehensive video about how to test lenses, but it includes a bunch of really interesting stuff, ranging from what the various aberrations are, how to test for them, how to see them in the test images, and a range of other factors.

He drew heavily from the incredible book The Cine Lens Manual: The Definitive Filmmaker's Guide to Cinema Lenses which is basically the new reference for lenses and has a whopping 836 pages and seems to have come down in price to only $175 or so (it was a lot more previously!)

I especially love the second shot. @mercerLooks fantastic. I have not come around filming anything for almost a year now unfortunately. All my colabs have moved themselves into the shady hideaways of oblivion and my aspirations to be a full time crewmember have been very low after my accident I had on a job. But your posts are some of the very few on this forum which inspire me to start filming again. S35 is fine for me on my S1H btw.:) Also waiting for some more fine reads from @QuickHitRecord  😊